Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #1

Accessing drain under shower through port

We have a leak between the Hepvo valve and drain in our 2018 Georgetown GT5 and we are having a hard time getting an arm through the port hole to remove and replace it. Does anyone have tips on a tool that can be used or a better way to access it? Thanks
makingtimetotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:48 PM   #2
NXR

What is the exact model of the GT5? Different ones have different configurations.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #3

Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingtimetotravel View Post
We have a leak between the Hepvo valve and drain in our 2018 Georgetown GT5 and we are having a hard time getting an arm through the port hole to remove and replace it. Does anyone have tips on a tool that can be used or a better way to access it? Thanks
Can you possibly post a picture of the problem area?

Take the picture in landscape mode with the button on the right. When using the forum editor, click the paper clip icon at the top to attach the picture.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What is the exact model of the GT5? Different ones have different configurations.
31L5
The portal to the shower is in the hall between the shower and the bathroom. I'll have to post a pic later. Mainly the problem is how small the portal access is. I can get my arm in but I'm not strong enough. Husband's arm is too big to move it once he reaches it. Anyone else solved this problem?
Old 01-31-2023, 09:56 PM   #5

Just wondering if you were able to get this fixed?
2002 Yamaha V Star 1100
Cb25 Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:35 AM   #6

No. I never got back to posting the model. It is the 31L5. For now we have a little drip and one wash cloth under the pipe is enough to soak it up. We have the new Hepvo filter and may try to replace it when the weather warms up. Any more suggestions would still be appreciated!
Old 02-03-2023, 12:48 AM   #7

I had a man hole for the sewer hose that was difficult to use, so I bought a bigger one and cut a larger hole to accommodate the larger man hole. I don't know if there is enough material on the shower pan to make it any bigger.
bduemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:53 AM   #8

Same problem with my 31L5!

I (literally) just went through this last week with my 31L5. In my case, the 1-1/2” slip nut that was attached to the waterless p-trap cracked, and I had a massive leak that made the shower non-usable. Note that this is discussed in another thread, and some pictures of the problem are posted:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2819551

I tried as hard as I could to fix the problem myself, but I just couldn’t get my arm into the access hole far enough without getting all cut up on the fiberglass chards hanging under the shower. I bought this part at Lowe’s:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Road-Home-2...ing/1002751746

The trick is to get in there with a cutting tool to cut the old fitting off and then using a rubber coupling to connect the existing drainpipe to the adapter referenced above. I just couldn’t get enough working space. I considered cutting another access hole next to the original one so that I could get 2 hands in there, but ultimately gave up and returned the parts to Lowe’s.

I called a mobile RV repair service, and they showed up with EXACTLY the same parts I had just returned! The original plan was to cut a second access hole, but the repair guy had very small arms and was able to cut the old pipe fitting off using just a hacksaw blade he held in his hand (no holder – just the blade). So, no second access hole was needed, although he did cut his arm up pretty well in the process. He then used the rubber coupler to attach the new adapter to the existing waterless p-trap. From start to finish it took him 45 minutes. The total bill came to $326.92 (including about $13.00 in parts). This included a $100 service call just to get them out there, $60 for a “diagnostic fee”, parts, and 1 hour labor. Pricey, of course, for a relatively simple fix, but at 69 years-old, I try not to sweat the small stuff and am now back to enjoying my 31L5 shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230130_074921.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	283581  

Tags
drain, show, shower