Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Add a 2nd tank monitoring system in outside or in water intake and drain compartment

Any one tackle this mod. On their own. Tired of running in and out when dumping or filling up fresh water tank
rcampli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcampli View Post
Any one tackle this mod. On their own. Tired of running in and out when dumping or filling up fresh water tank
I have a 2016 FR GT 335DS
Old 07-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

Why do you go in and out when the vent (overflow) will let you know when the tank is full and just open the drain and let it flow for emptying. What are you looking for by going in and out?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

More for when I'm dumping like to have a tank monitoring display right there so I can check if and if the something hanging up on the Sensors for an improper Reading
Old 07-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

I don't get it

Quote:
More for when I'm dumping like to have a tank monitoring display right there so I can check if and if the something hanging up on the Sensors for an improper Reading
I don't get it. If you are trying to see if the sensors are reading incorrectly, drain the tank until no more water comes out, close the drain, go inside (once), and see what the indicator reads.

What benefit would there be in reading the indicator before the tank is dry?

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #6

Quote:
If you want to know how much water you're putting in your fresh water tank, get one of these: a hose end water meter https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OR.... as mentioned before, wait til it fills and the overflow spills out water.

If you are concerned about seeing if the grey/black water is done dumping, get one of these: a clear view sewer elbow
https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-12...rv+sewer+elbow

Usually your rv supply store has the elbow. ( Sorry about sending you to Amazon. It's just easier for me to give their link.)
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I don't get it. If you are trying to see if the sensors are reading incorrectly, drain the tank until no more water comes out, close the drain, go inside (once), and see what the indicator reads.

What benefit would there be in reading the indicator before the tank is dry?

Larry

I too have interest in such a reader - when using the black tank flush it often takes several charges to clean the sensors and requires a trip inside to check them. Further, does anyone know of an after market sensor mod that actually works.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
That would be nice to have on the ba\lack water tank outside while filling and flushing a few time.
Being the level gauge only applies voltage when you hit the button I see no reason you couldn't buy another control panel and tap in the new panel before the probes and find a 12 volt + to the new panel.

Here is a picture of the original 2 tank inside and my modified one outside by buying just a new panel.
By tapping into the ground and sensors and finding a 12 volt power source will do it.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-03-11_162718_monitorpanel.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	179183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Level.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	179185  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

I have a 2017 GT5 31L5 with the LCI One Control touch panel system for monitoring tanks and such. They have a phone app for both the iPhone and Android systems that you can use to control and see what the panel does.

I use it while outside of the RV while flushing the black tanks and know when the tank is getting full so I can dump the water used for cleaning.

Not sure what RV you have but the last couple of year models have the LCI One Control System. If you do have the LCI system get the phone app if you have not already done so.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	179196
dolfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
I have a 2017 GT5 31L5 with the LCI One Control touch panel system for monitoring tanks..................................
Attachment 179196
Nice but don't have in my 2012
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #11

I have a 2016 GT 335DS it was Mfg'd in late 2015 we took Delivery in Mid December. We purchased our MH at the Hershey RV show. IT doesn't have that type of Tank Monitoring Display
Old 07-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #12

I think I may have found a simple cheap solution.

I just found these battery operated water alarms that have a small plate attached to it and when water makes a cross connection the pad it alarms.

My idea is to remove the pad and attach the top and bottom sensors of the tank. When the tank gets full of water and stuff it will make the top censor and bottom sensor act like a switch and set off alarm.
You can buy them from China for a few dollars and free shipping or buy in USA for $6 or $7

I actually may buy one and test it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	179260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	179261  
Old 07-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I think I may have found a simple cheap solution.

I just found these battery operated water alarms that have a small plate attached to it and when water makes a cross connection the pad it alarms.

My idea is to remove the pad and attach the top and bottom sensors of the tank. When the tank gets full of water and stuff it will make the top censor and bottom sensor act like a switch and set off alarm.
You can buy them from China for a few dollars and free shipping or buy in USA for $6 or $7

I actually may buy one and test it out.
I like it. Thanks Iggy for Researching
Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
I like it. Thanks Iggy for Researching
Yes, it sounds promising for $6 instead of $85 + tax for a complete panel.
I plan on tapping into the top sensor and the bottom sensor and we will see what happens.
Battery operated with on and off switch
It arrives in about a week from who knows where. lol
Old 07-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #15

My $6 black water tank high level alarm has arrived.
It uses a 9 volt battery

I plan on adding two eyes at the end of the wires and attach to the top and bottom sensors in the exterior of the black tank.
It has a OFF and ON switch on the side so you leave it off until you plan to fill and dump.

Should not interfere with the existing system as those resistors and circuits do not get energized until you hit the button inside to measure.

I man even just put two alligator clips on it.
I will let you know.

I have a video with sound but unable to upload it for some reason.

$4.98 plus $1.29 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Leak-...sid=m570.l1313
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Level Alarm 001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	180173  
Old 09-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
Cat Coach Driver

Did Iggy's $6.00 black tank high level alarm work? Also some have said on other threads that you shouldn't use the black tank flush when the valve is closed. I assume that is to prevent overfilling the black tank. This inexpensive alarm would prevent that if it works.
Cat Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #17

Cat Coach

The black tank flush has a sprinkler type attachment at the top. The purpose is to 'rinse' solids/contaminants from the top of the tank to the bottom of the tank. Filling the black tank with the black tank flush defeats the purpose and that's part of the reason that they want you to leave the valve open.
As to the alarm... don't know.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
Cat Coach Driver

Thanks Reverse_Snowbird. That also answers my question regarding how the black tank flush works
Cat coach
Old 09-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Coach View Post
Thanks Reverse_Snowbird. That also answers my question regarding how the black tank flush works
Cat coach
Most of us..."most" not all.......pull the black valve and let it empty. Close the valve and let the black flush add water to tank, pull valve, close valve, repeat. I'd always do mine about 3 times letting the water on black flush run about 2 minutes. NEVER WALK AWAY FROM IT WHILE YOU'RE DOING THAT.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #20
Cat Coach Driver

Talking

Thanks Wolfpaq, though I still don’t know if Iggy’s mod worked adding the inexpensive high water level alarm.

Tags
drain, tank, water