Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #1

Adding outside Lights

I've been toying with the idea of adding a short LED light bar to the top of rear of my 351DS for back up and area lighting. My question is how do you mount it? There's no way to get behind the outer skin for mounting bolts or running wiring. Also thought about this on the sides too. I look under the rear and it's only hollow for a few feet.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Not knowing how big the light bar would be, I would think it would not need bolts from the inside out but rather self tapping screws from the outside in. If you have running lights back there you may be able to run the wires along that route. Or if you have cabinets in the rear you might be able to open up an ares inside the cabinet to run wires. Just some thoughts
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #3

Not knowing what the back of your coach looks like, here is what I did on mine. I mounted 2 short light bars under the foot rungs of the ladder. Then I ran the wires down the back side of the ladder in split loom and zip tied it every few inches for a clean install. I ran it all the way down the ladder to where the ladder mounts to the coach, that is where I drilled a small hole, inserted a grommet, and ran the wires through. I did not want to put any holes in the top or side of the coach to avoid all possible leaks. I then ran the wires under the coach into the drivers cabin and install a on/off switch. I will try to get some pics up tonight.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Hmm. That's an idea
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

I measured the max length that the lights could be and searched Amazon for about 5 minutes. I believe they are 13" wide, and each is a double row LED so it is really bright. I have one pointed down more that the other so one is for close up and the other is for further out.

Tags
light