Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2024, 01:01 PM   #1
NXR

Adding safety chains to a propane tank to help keep it from falling to the road

Due to the cracks and outright failures a few people have reported on their later model year Georgetowns, and because we had two cracks on our 2020 Georgetown GT5 with 17,000 miles, we wanted to add some type of "last resort" protection to keep the propane tank from falling and possibly hitting the pavement while driving. We added safety chains to "catch" the tank if a mounting bracket fails. We hope.

Pictures of actual cracks and repairs are at the end of the attached PDF so owners know what to look for and one way a proper repair could be accomplished. You must clean the areas before inspecting them.

I believe the FR3 models, at least some, use the same propane tank mounting structure and configuration as the Georgetown where the propane tank is bolted to the bottom of 90-degree metal brackets.

One FR3 burned to the ground but the insurance company said they could not determine the cause. See this post if interested: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-271768.html

A 2023 Dynamax Europa owner found their propane tank hanging down due to missing nuts from the mounting bolts: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-270546.html

While the root causes are different the end result is the same, one end of the propane tank dropping to within a few inches of the ground or worse.

What is the possibility or probability of your motorhome having a failure? It seems very low due to how many Georgetowns are out there and the single-digit reports so far. But I did not find my crack in the rear bracket until someone else found the crack on theirs and posted a picture.

When I worked in risk management this would be termed a "Low probability-High impact" failure. Only you know if you're concerned. If you are, the PDF may have an easy, low-cost way to alleviate that concern.

Hope this helps someone,

Ray
Old 02-03-2024, 02:17 PM   #2
waybeck2018

Excellent description and pictures. I was also previously in Risk Management and enjoyed your thorough analysis, I'm sure a lot of folks will be checking their tanks now that they know what to look for and a possible real fix. Thanks for taking the time to present this.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:46 PM   #3

Are the tabs on the tank cracking or the mounting brackets. The white part or the black part where the bolts are ?

In either case, not trusting any part of the factory mounting, vinyl coated cables around the circumference of the tank up to the chassis may make for a better restraint. It may not be feasible, I haven't crawled under mine yet.

I looked at your pictures again, didn't see the pictures with the failures at my first look. There seems to be cracks appearing in all of the mounting points.

I'll be taking a hard look when I get this thing back to NY in the spring.
Twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:23 PM   #4
NXR

Both. The tank mounting flange is really beefy and is welded for several inches across the top of the tank. It's not really a "tab".

Pages 7 - 14 of the PDF have pics of some of the failures and repairs.

On ours at least, there really is nothing easy to fasten a cradle to. I think you would need to drill into the floor structure to install an eye bolt or something and then you're back to the issue of weakening that structure. Materially? Who knows?

I know two people who had the front bracket detach on the road used a strap to hold the tank up to get to somewhere it could be repaired but they had no pictures of how they did it.

When one person had the front bracket welds break and the tank fall almost to the road it bent the rear tank flange pretty good. He ended up having to replace the tank. See the pic. It was taken with a bit of clockwise rotation so imagine the black bracket with the bolt heads actually is horizontal. His must have been bouncing for a while because he is the only person who had the front of the tank drop that reported or showed a bent rear flange.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Bracket Bent - .PNG
Views:	21
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	296767  

Tags
propane, safety, tank