Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
JBP

Adding switch

Looking at the layout of the inverter and the switch on my 369 XL. The electrical lead comes from the breaker to the switch and from the switch to the refrigerator. If you look at the inverter it has another connection for an additional switch. The inverter is only being used to half of its potential. It looks to me like you could add another switch and run from the general breaker at the breaker box to the switch and then back to the disconnected line from the breaker marked general in the switch box. This would give you electrical power on all of your electrical boxes that don't have a GFI on them. Has anybody else looked at this or as anybody else done it.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

To answer your question, "Yes" There are several threads on here about doing just that, using the 2K Inverter to power the NON-GFCI outlets in the coach in addition to the Ref. As you mentioned, at a high level, all you need is an additional Transfer switch that you can get from Amazon for $63, and wire to run to the supply Line and source.

If you look in your power compartment, you might find an electrical junction box that contains the connections you need. (varies by model)
Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
JBP

Thanks for the reply.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
JBP

Ordered new switch today. Looks like on mine it is easiest to set new switch by the existing switch and plug it into the inverter.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Ordered new switch today. Looks like on mine it is easiest to set new switch by the existing switch and plug it into the inverter.
Another option might be to put the switch near the Load/Line source and use an HEAVY GUAGE extension cord to run back to the inverter.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #6

Exactly right, but the octagonal box won't be there unless FR has changed something. You need to put it in and pull the wire from the breaker that powers the non GFI outlets and put another 2 or 3' wire back to the breaker. Then the transfer switch goes in...extension cord to the inverter...and you are all set. So many have done this that there probably should be a definitive post about it by now.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #7

Not to complicate what you are attempting to do, but on my rig which is a 352XL there was a junction box in the water tank bin(of all places)

I have also heard mention of a junction box in the power Bin near MAIN TRANSFER SWITCH/Converter(on some units) that connects all NON GFCI outlets so that might be worth a look.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #8

I think that the confusion here is that if you already have an inverter and a transfer switch, there will be a box as part of the install. However, if you want to ADD inverter power from the second inverter outlet and power your non-GFI plugs, you will need to ADD another box and change the wiring from the breaker panel to the existing outlets and ADD another transfer switch. Since the transfer switch has two leads that go to the box and one that plugs into the inverter duplex outlet, most have used a good extension cord from the inverter location to the rear power bay and installed the transfer switch there as well as the new box and additional wiring.

2015 335DS
Old 02-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I think that the confusion here is that if you already have an inverter and a transfer switch, there will be a box as part of the install. However, if you want to ADD inverter power from the second inverter outlet and power your non-GFI plugs, you will need to ADD another box and change the wiring from the breaker panel to the existing outlets and ADD another transfer switch. Since the transfer switch has two leads that go to the box and one that plugs into the inverter duplex outlet, most have used a good extension cord from the inverter location to the rear power bay and installed the transfer switch there as well as the new box and additional wiring.
Scott, I installed a new inverter....Found a Power junction box (Pictured above) and connected it there...My inverter is in the front bin of the coach closest to the batteries, So I used an extension cord to carry the 110v from the transfer switch (pictured above) to the inverter.......Adding or taping the existing inverter should be a similar process if you can find one of the junction boxes in the basement space.

OP, the nest step is likely to see if you have any Junction boxes in the basement that control the non GFCI outlets.....
Old 02-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

...as did I. Just don't want to confuse those who may want to do this mod. Based on the experience of many of us who have done it, there is no junction box in the power bay as it wouldn't make sense unless FR offered an optional inverter for the non-GFI outlets (that would be nice.) We all had to pull the existing wire from the circuit breaker, drill a hole in the floor into the rear bay, mount a new box on the bay ceiling and route the existing wire down the hole to the new box, and then run a new wire (about 2 feet) up from the box and back to the breaker. Mount the transfer switch on the ceiling of the power bay and an extension cord forward to the second outlet on the existing inverter.

2015 335DS
Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
...as did I. Just don't want to confuse those who may want to do this mod. Based on the experience of many of us who have done it, there is no junction box in the power bay as it wouldn't make sense unless FR offered an optional inverter for the non-GFI outlets (that would be nice.) We all had to pull the existing wire from the circuit breaker, drill a hole in the floor into the rear bay, mount a new box on the bay ceiling and route the existing wire down the hole to the new box, and then run a new wire (about 2 feet) up from the box and back to the breaker. Mount the transfer switch on the ceiling of the power bay and an extension cord forward to the second outlet on the existing inverter.
Gotcha....I swear there must not be a standard wiring scheme for these coaches....Mine didn't come with an inverter (RV Fridge)but there are two junction boxes in the basement...one in the water tank bin (The one I used), and one in the power bin both only supply power to the non GFCI outlets...

Tags
switch