Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Air bags vs. Timbrens

What are the opinions out there about the airbags vs timbrens suspension mods? I'm primarily interested in towing stability and secondary is ride comfort. I would like my 8 year old to stop getting sick everytime we drive on the Michigan freeways. But first, we are towing a small car or a large boat (near max capacity).
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

haha. as a MI driver I also know your woes.. I am also looking into the air springs or rubber springs, 100 dollar diff between the two, I think I might go with the timbrens I do not need to raise my rear just get rid of some of the harsh ride when the trailer is attached..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

The airbags are much better than the timbrens. You can control the ride quality with them. They don't jack the truck up they level it out when towing. They will jack he back end up when it's not loaded and give you a rough ride. That's why you deflated then when you are not loaded. I have towed with them and without them and the stability and ride quality is much better with the bags.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

As with everything there are pro's & con's. I had air bags on my last truck. They were used for leveling after the inbox camper was loaded. I am planning to install Pac Brake air bags on the present truck. As mentioned they are great because they can be aired down after removing the load to soften the ride.
If you are installing air bags make sure that you use a dual controller or if you are manually inflating, inflate each bag individually, otherwise if the two bags are tied together on a single line you can get rolling from side to side as the air transfers from one bag to another.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never owned or used timbrens but have plenty of experience with air bags.

Are bags will always be my choice.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I added Firestone Air Springs to my coach to help stabilize the rocking when a large truck passes by. It improved the feel of the coach to me. I, along with a friend of mine installed them in my driveway in a few hours. Purchased them on line at the following vendor. Would not hesitate to do it on my next coach, whenever that might be, if they aren't already there by the manufacturer.

Find Truck Parts by Vehicle Make and Model, Search Auto Parts - TruckSpring.com

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

I bought a set of the Air Cells from Discount Auto Parts, on line, for my 2012 F-250. They were about $150.00. Put them on myself in about 1 HR. They work great. Only make contact when they are brought into play. They stopped the porpose feeling when on a wash board road and the sway when big trucks pass. debarymjl
debarymjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

I'm a Airlift fan myself. I have had them in two different vehicles and they work great and seem to last.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Air bags all the way..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Just something to consider. Sumosprings is also one to put in the hopper. Not the bump stop replacement. Similar to a timbren but made by Supersprings. Can be bought at etrailer. Pretty much an airless air bag and serves the same function. Not sure if its true or rumor, but I've heard if you put air bags on the front axle, the bags could possibly part if the axle is pulled off the ground when leveling. I'm an air bag fan. Have them on the Forester and man what a difference.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags