Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

Air Ride Suspension Conversion

Like the rest of you folks we have the Ford F53 chassis and we are darned tired of the rough ride. We have been looking at converting the suspension system to air ride. Have any of you folks made the conversion. Have found the Kelderman suspension conversion. And am also looking at a custom computer controlled system by Donvel.

Needless to say this modification isn't cheap but feel it may be worth it. Those that have made the conversion have any recommendation? Or just general comments on such a change would possibly be helpful.

We are sorta mad at ourselves for not buying a pusher with air ride and a Diesel engine but are trying to make the most of it.

Thanks, Jim
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

I've had a DP and now a gasser. I honestly haven't noticed that much difference in the ride. Noise is certainly different. I try to keep my daily drive to around 250 miles. I can tolerate anything for that amount of time. We went to a gasser due to lower operation and maintenance costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Not sure you can called my mod a full conversion but I have added Firestone ride rite air-bags at each 4 corners (24k chassis so single bag front and dual in the rear) all controlled from inside. I added a Safe-T-Plus and BlueOx rear track bar and the coach drive so smoothly!

I love my setup, installed on a 2015 GeorgetownXL 350.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
Johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #4

Air Ride Suspension Conversion

Air bags themselves do not convert the coach to air ride. The air bag system in an air ride suspension are computer controlled for changing road conditions and the coach rides on the air with derated springs or no springs. Substantial difference. Thanks for the comments, it does give me something to think about as a cheaper alternative. We have added the safe-t-steer system and have the rear track bar. It handles cross winds and tracking really well, just tired of the jarring of poor road conditions.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

Johnnya, just re-reading your post. Your saying you have dual bags in the real and a single up front. Are you meaning 2 bags on each side in the rear and a single bag on each side in the front or 2 bags in the rear (one on each side) and a single bag in the front assuming a center mount. Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Ok, please excuse my ignorance but does my '14 377 have a F53 or a E550 chassis??

DennyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Johnnya, just re-reading your post. Your saying you have dual bags in the real and a single up front. Are you meaning 2 bags on each side in the rear and a single bag on each side in the front or 2 bags in the rear (one on each side) and a single bag in the front assuming a center mount. Thanks again.

6 bangs total. Rear uses dual bags per side with own Compressor and adjust automatically as I drive (inflate / deflate each side while driving to ensure perfect stability) front uses 1 bag per side attached to another compressor that adjust both side simultaneously via inside switch.

I love the ride and compare to when I picked the coach stock, it is day and night.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyH View Post
Ok, please excuse my ignorance but does my '14 377 have a F53 or a E550 chassis??

You have a f53 with a 24,000 lbs chassis with a longer wheelbase then mine 242" vs 228")

Tags
suspension