Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #1

Am I asking too much?

Picked up my Georgetown GT5 34H5 this past Saturday. The 4 hour drive back home wasn't as bad as I was worried about, especially with flat towing my MINI Cooper for the first time.

The PDI was long and tedious and at some times felt rushed. But I slowed them down and we continued. Thank You to Kevin Riley for your PDI check list, they had their own and it was a little dated. It had a check box to make sure the VCR was working correctly.

Unit was winterized and I wanted to check all of the plumbing and water heater, they were reluctant at first but I assured them that I had a place to store inside to keep from freezing.

As my title said, "Am I asking too much?". I am talking about detail to workmanship.

A few examples, the tile backsplash which looks like two panels attached to two walls at a 90 degrees, where they meet in the corner they don't match in height. Something is not square for this to happen. If they matched the corner then there would be a uneven gap where the tile panel meets the front cabinet wall. There's other thing like something was sprayed through the screen and is now on the inside of the window. A light switch toggle's hole was cut bigger then the switch. A piece of trim, small piece, 3/4" x 2" x 1/8" thick that popped off when I bumped with my shoe, found one small nail that was securing but the head of the nail was driven through that trim. Nothing a little double sided tape or a small amount of glue can fix, but why should I be the one fixing after spending the money I did? These are just a few of many little details. I'm still collecting extra screws throughout the RV.

Got a message into service at the dealer and waiting for a return call.

Thoughts?
David-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #2

Over the next few weeks and especially the 1st and 2nd time you actually use the RV, make a written punch list, with pictures, of every detail. Don't hesitate to nitpick. Supply the dealer with a copy of the list and pictures. They can't say "oh, we didn't see, or didn't know about that".

You will still likely end up using your handyman skills to resolve some issues. Keep those screws. You'll likely need them at some point in time.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #3

Wow. My punch list was a full single-spaced page. I knew the dealer would take months to fix and do a crappy job (the dealer prep was unconscionably bad) so I did it all myself.
Before taking the rig back to the dealer, get a time estimate on when the work will be done. It likely won't be a reliable estimate, but might help you decide whether to take it back at all.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:22 PM   #4

Got a call back from the dealer's service department. For the items they took photos of at the PDI they are putting through to FR. For items that I'm finding now, like the backsplash and most concerning a cut/tear in one of the slider awning I have to bring to a FR tech for them to submit. Closest FR to me is an hour away. Guess I need to get my punch list completed asap and make the ride. Again, just disappointed in the details. I understand it's a ne RV and anything new will have some thing to correct. IMO, a lot of this should've been caught before they drove it out of the factory.
David-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:04 PM   #5

Independent tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post
Got a call back from the dealer's service department. For the items they took photos of at the PDI they are putting through to FR. For items that I'm finding now, like the backsplash and most concerning a cut/tear in one of the slider awning I have to bring to a FR tech for them to submit. Closest FR to me is an hour away. Guess I need to get my punch list completed asap and make the ride. Again, just disappointed in the details. I understand it's a ne RV and anything new will have some thing to correct. IMO, a lot of this should've been caught before they drove it out of the factory.
FR also accepts warranty claims submitted by independent techs. Most of them are mobile and will come to you. The only drawback is that you have to pay the tech and FR (eventually) sends a check to you.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
FR also accepts warranty claims submitted by independent techs. Most of them are mobile and will come to you. The only drawback is that you have to pay the tech and FR (eventually) sends a check to you.
Sometimes, you might have to pay up front. Maybe we were just lucky, or things have drastically changed in the last few years, but FR payed the independent directly after they got authorization. No money out of our pockets.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote