Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Amateur camping round 2

So, out on our second adventure in our 351ds. Driving down the road with fridge loaded and tethers on the doors. Steep grade and sharp curve, doors open and gallon of milk I sat on main shelf slides off and gets trapped, and busts. A gallon of milk floods the camper. Every towel we own was milk saturated. First stop at campground--laundromat. Would love to hear other early camping day blunders.
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

Ugh. That's rough.

Had the overhead storage full of canned goods, this cabinet was literally on the back wall. Hard bump that did the wave throughout threw every frigging thing out of those cabinets.

Set a can of coke in the freezer for a cool down, forgot it. Know it's irritating to rinse half frozen coke off everything in the freezer?

Forgot to unplug while at the house, left, got down the street and noticed a long black snake following me out of the driveway. Fortunately it was plugged into an extension cord at the house and just unplugged itself so the cord wasn't damaged but I still had to screw the box back to the floor.

Forgot to bring water on my first primitive trip. Luckily once I figured it out a neighbor with a large coach that was leaving gave me their water.

So yeah, we all do it. Though I'm wondering why your fridge door opened, does it not latch?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Ugh. That's rough.

Had the overhead storage full of canned goods, this cabinet was literally on the back wall. Hard bump that did the wave throughout threw every frigging thing out of those cabinets.

Set a can of coke in the freezer for a cool down, forgot it. Know it's irritating to rinse half frozen coke off everything in the freezer?

Forgot to unplug while at the house, left, got down the street and noticed a long black snake following me out of the driveway. Fortunately it was plugged into an extension cord at the house and just unplugged itself so the cord wasn't damaged but I still had to screw the box back to the floor.

Forgot to bring water on my first primitive trip. Luckily once I figured it out a neighbor with a large coach that was leaving gave me their water.

So yeah, we all do it. Though I'm wondering why your fridge door opened, does it not latch?

We have the frigidair residential French door refrigerator. It doesn't have the latch like the lp ones do.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
NELA

We use both the spring loaded bars and the blue plastic screw on blocks on the shelves of our fridge.

- refrigerator shelf blocks - Camping World

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
We have the frigidair residential French door refrigerator. It doesn't have the latch like the lp ones do.
Interesting. I'd have thought that even though it's a residential model, it would still have RV type latches.

Sorry to hear it, looks like those bars would be a good idea.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

I would attach the handles together with something so the doors aren't swinging around
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I would attach the handles together with something so the doors aren't swinging around

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/prod...-4318637dt.jpg
Old 03-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #8

I just got a piece of the velcro and wrap the 2 handles together tightly (in addition to the bungees). Just cut the piece to be long enough and it is easy to stow.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #9

First trip out for us was dry camping at a 5 day racing event with family members. (Not a good idea) Second day out ran out of water. Forgot to strap refridgerator while going to refill water tank. We also dumped everything out including a big pot of beans that splattered everywhere. After me blaming DW for not securing the refridgerator, and her blaming me for driving through a big dip, we starting laughing and chalked it up to experience.
Since then we have installed a low volume shower head and are much more careful on how we pack the refridgerator. Those doors will open even with the straps on if the contents shift.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
H2oski

I think it was the 1st time out in our TT, was leaving pulled up to dump station, hooked up hose, put the other end in the sewer on the ground, pulled handle. I can hear water moving down the hose, then stops, hose is very heavy, dang it "plugged hose", nope forgot to take the cap off the other end , there is no way you can get that cap off without making a mess. I servived because no one was watching. HAHAHAH.
As I tell everyone "Just making memories!!!!!!! Have fun and go camping.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I think it was the 1st time out in our TT, was leaving pulled up to dump station, hooked up hose, put the other end in the sewer on the ground, pulled handle. I can hear water moving down the hose, then stops, hose is very heavy, dang it "plugged hose", nope forgot to take the cap off the other end , there is no way you can get that cap off without making a mess. I servived because no one was watching. HAHAHAH.
As I tell everyone "Just making memories!!!!!!! Have fun and go camping.
Ah, maybe lifting the end of the hose up higher than the dump valve and threading the end back into the dump while holding a section up?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #12

So we have been camping all weekend and dealt with heavy heavy rains. Last night one of the kids woke up in the bunks and said their pillow was wet. I go to check and water is pouring down the wall and corner. So it looks as though our bad luck is continuing. Leaving somewhere but haven't pinpointed it yet. Looks like our punch list for the dealer is getting pretty substantial. Please tell me we haven't got a lemon, and that this is all normal for the breaking in of a new coach.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #13

Our first trailer camping trip was with our old Mallard. We had a great weekend and packed up and were just pulling out of the campground when we saw a guy waving and pointing. We had forgotten to wind the tv antenna down as well as close the bathroom roof vent. Thankfully that guy saw them.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #14

Forgot to install the wheel chocks before unhitching. I was lucky I wasn't on a hill or incline; my heart stopped when I watched my RV roll towards my truck about 10 feet and stop just before hitting the truck. I have never forgot the wheel chocks again!
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #15

I forgot to put the stab jacks down once on my pop up. It was quite a ride once I was trying to put the sheets on the back bed. Whole front end lifted up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #16

Havana a. Nana qnanankamkq
Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Site Team

Opened frig. Quart jar of pickles falls out and breaks. Lp detector goes off. Won't stop. Kicked it off the wall. Bought a new one, $65. No more glass jars in frig. Whew!

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #18

The small diameter ones( 1/4 - 3/8 ) will work.

They can be pulled apart and cut to length with a hacksaw or Dremel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spri...w=1227&bih=632
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #19

Our first ever trip was uneventful, didn't have far to go and didn't get to go above 55. Our second trip was a little more scary. Dealer told me my set up was good to go and i had never heard of sway brakes, Well about 350 miles later we had the ass shaken off my truck all the way to Gettysburg. Wasn't bad on the way back I went to Central Tractor and bought a sway brake like the guy at the Koa suggested and I installed it there. What a difference could drive 70 now where as before if I got above 55 though we were going to be ripped apart. Didn't think the wife was going to go ever again, white knuckled it all the way there, but we made it home and after that never had it happen again.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #20

I am sure this could turn into one of the biggest threads on the forum, I have to many too list, it would take days to tell )
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping