Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #1

Amazon Fire Stick - a great solution

Okay, got to admit I am a bit of a techno geek BUT you don't need to be one to use this great devise.

First off go to Amazon and google all the capabilities for this great devise, then Google it again for price. I just paid $24.99 each for 3 of them.

What's it good. After plugging it into your HDTV on your onboard TV, you can use it watch any of your online video service (Netflix, Hulu, CBS, etc).

or

You can use to play a movie on that TV from your DVD in a laptop in the front of your motorhome.

Requirements. Must have a network connection. Lots of campgrounds have these. I setup a hotspot via my verizon phone (I got the old unlimited plan).

Anyway, take a look - the grandkids love it in there bunks.

Here is a link to a review. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...223000741.html
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
WFD

You don't have to limit yourself to the Amazon stick....Roku has one(highly rated in reviews) as well as the Google Chromecast....Roku stick closer to about $50, Google Chromecast around $39....Roku makes a set top one similar to Apple TV but also has the stick...thing with the sticks is that your TV set has to have an HDMI input, which most newer sets will have....and of course you need that dreaded WiFi connection, which most c/g are not known to be good for, and many of us don't have or want the unlimited data on our phones to use the phone as a hotspot.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Sounds great but many campground wifi networks limit you on speed and frown on video streaming. Has anyone used it over a period of time to tell us how well these plug-ins perform?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #4

If you have a modern Windows PC, you can download your movies and then hook it up with this: Buy Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter - Microsoft Store - Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft... just raising awareness of what's built into Windows. :-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

I have a Western Digital Media Hub that we use. It has its own hard drive where we store our movies, music, photos for when there's no wifi, it also has Netflix and many other apps for watching online media.

I've ordered one of the Amazon Fire sticks but I didn't think they were available yet. Mine says it won't arrive until late December.

BTW, the Chromecast is an excellent device for the cost. Being that it's a Google device I think it will likely be the best bet in the long run as most content providers are going to want to go with the big guys first. Although Amazon is nothing to sneeze at.

These devices make me appreciate keeping my Verizon unlimited plan.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
WDK

I have grown accustomed too using my phone.......using an HDMI connector out to my TV, I can store about 6 movies, a few TV shows, and if necessary, I can stream with unlimited data, Netflix or several other services and download on the fly with an over the air signal or wifi.....no need to purchase anything extra....I am already paying for it.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

I also use my phone with an HDMI adapter cable
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

I use my phone as a wifi hotspot also. The Fire Stick connects directly to most of the online services through the phone's hotspot. Or you can play a movie directly to the TV from you phone or computer wirelessly. I have a box (Vulkano) connected to my TV at home that I can access with my phone and play through my TVs in my coach.

The Fire Stick is simply a technical evolution that when you catch it on sale ($24.99) is fairly inexpensive.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Amazon Prime members were offered the Fire Stick for $19.99 and ours is coming today. We like our Chromecast but the Stick has a remote that looks useful. (not for the camper, for the house) The Stick looks just like the Apple version, which is $100
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
WDK

I suppose it sounds to be not much different than "apple TV" the hockey puck though a lot cheaper. I seldom travel with it because AT&T's rule about my continued unlimited status is that I cannot use my phone as a hot spot so give up wireless to my TV for all the data I can use.

WDK
Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

I have Apple TVs also but the Fire Stick is much more versatile and CHEAPER. I am a Amazon Prime member but I missed the $19.99. Is it still available and do you have a link?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #12

Ditto on the Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
I suppose it sounds to be not much different than "apple TV" the hockey puck though a lot cheaper. I seldom travel with it because AT&T's rule about my continued unlimited status is that I cannot use my phone as a hot spot so give up wireless to my TV for all the data I can use.

WDK
Yep. Same with Verizon but while we are traveling I turn the unlimited Hotspot on for $24.99 per month. Usage can approach 100 gig / month when ever one is hitting it.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I went to Amazon and did the "buy it again" and the price is no longer $19 but $39...sorry.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
WDK

I cannot choose to turn on my hotspot just for traveling and pay for it separately. AT&T is itching to move everyone they can off of its unlimited plan and that's a contract ender so until they force me off they will me as a customer though should that happen we are taking our iPhones to Verizon. Our sat dish fills in the gaps perfectly though one draw back is that you have to have service or tell them where you will be in advance when you do have service so you can get the area local channels.

WDK
Old 12-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #15

I too purchased this for $24.99 At Best Buy. I would also like to use this in my TT to watch netflix. Amazon says that comming soon you should be able to use this where captive portal internet that requires you to use a password or log-in (like in hotels and campgrounds). I hope by the summer when I try it at a campground it works. I have tried Chromecast and Roku sticks at campgrounds this past summer and could only get them to work using my iphone hotspot and data plan. I only have 3 GB so thats not going to work.
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #16

gserve - I think you can use something like an Apple Express. It can connect to the local internet via your laptop. Then you can set up your own local wifi network and connect your Fire Stick through the local wifi.

I've done this with my Apple MacBook. I'm sure there would be other ways of doing this with Windows based machines.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #17

In my MH I have 2 devices. I have a Actiontec Miracast on the main TV in the Living area
Amazon.com: Actiontec SBWD100A01 ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver for WiDi Laptops/ Miracast Devices: Computers & Accessories

and a Microsoft Miracast Stick mentioned above in the bedroom. They both work well with my Microsoft and android devices.

The Actiontec was the 1st I purchased, for the main TV.

Now, Actiontec has a dongle similar to the Microsoft one for a few dollars less. My brother has that device and it works well within small spaces.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #18

BigBen. Tell us more about the Verizon unlimited hotspot? I didn't think there was such a thing as unlimited data for hotspots. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #19

I just use my Samsung Galaxy s4 as a hotspot with my Verizon unlimited plan. With an Android device all you need is a $7 app to turn on your hotspot without having to give Verizon anything else.
As long as 4g is available we have Internet for any device we need to use.
The unlimited plans on Verizon are dinosaurs, unless you already have one you can't get it currently. I have to pay full retain price for any new phones but that's the price you pay I guess.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote