Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

another dumb tire pressure question

Should you keep increasing the "cold tire" pressure as temperatures drop. I know 85 psi at 70 degrees is different when the air temperature is 50 degrees but after a few minutes of driving the psi begins to climb. I had a blow out a few years ago so correct air pressure is always a concern for me. I appreciate any advice.
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Good question. I'm interested in replies. I always bring to psi before any trip without considering ambient temp. And check frequently during trips.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Always Learning

Each morning before driving, you should check pressures and air up as appropriate. You're right that your 85psi tire at 70 degrees may be 80 psi at 50 degrees.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

This how we import (smuggle) cold northern air into Florida. We fill up with 94 psi in the cold north and have to vent the air as we arrive in Florida....
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Each morning before driving, you should check pressures and air up as appropriate. You're right that your 85psi tire at 70 degrees may be 80 psi at 50 degrees.
X2
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

I add PSI as the temp drops to keep my tires above 80 PSI. They do go higher as we travel but never too high.

Bill
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

I also have always filled tires to tire manufacturers recommendation on the tire it will state a psi cold fill it to that and enjoy your vacation. I have never had a blowout towing boats or travel trailers.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Check pressure in morning. Be sure to fill to max psi. Just remember that "ST" tires are rated at a max of 65mph at max psi. Most 15 in. Trailer wheels are rated to 50 psi. Three brands of 16" tires are rated at 75 mph with 10 psi of added air pressure. Heat build up is quickly built up at speeds over 65mph and psi below max. This is what causes most blow outs.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

tire pressure

Over inflation does not blow out tires; underflation always will if driven that way very long.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

I have blown out many, many riding lawn mower tires due to not having a gauge and the tire having a slow leak. My guys almost make them rock hard to try to get the day out of them. But after cutting a acre or two they heat up and I get the call "a blown tire".
hugospro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Over inflation does not blow out tires; underflation always will if driven that way very long.
Exactly. I was a tire dealer for many years,,,,, I got so tired of 'it just blew out for no reason, it's a junk tire' when in reality it was a blowout brought on by the disintegration of the tire when it was run underinflated. Usually by a puncture. You have to remember - tires are 'glued' together in a mold - under heat and pressure. Heat them up too much and they disassemble themselves.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Old 10-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Set mine to the required 50 PSI and monitor at the start and end of each trip. Also have a TPMS.. I do not worry about hot and cold temps. I think you all are putting too much thought into this!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I think you all are putting too much thought into this!
Maybe, maybe not. I have a friend that tows his Scarab to the Keys often. He was complaining about how his front tires on the trailer were blowing out so frequently. I had him bring the rig to me and we weighed the front and rear axles to see what we had; turns out what was happening was that when he loaded his Yukon the ass end sank so low he was overloading the front axle since the axles weren't bogeyed and he was overloading the front axle. Changed the ball height and the problem went away. Lesson learned. Watch your front and rear axle weights on your towed unit for possible overloading.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I have a friend that tows his Scarab to the Keys often. He was complaining about how his front tires on the trailer were blowing out so frequently. I had him bring the rig to me and we weighed the front and rear axles to see what we had; turns out what was happening was that when he loaded his Yukon the ass end sank so low he was overloading the front axle since the axles weren't bogeyed and he was overloading the front axle. Changed the ball height and the problem went away. Lesson learned. Watch your front and rear axle weights on your towed unit for possible overloading.
Yes I can see that.. He was overloaded. But I think the original question was about pressure changes in the tires when the temp outside changes.. To me this is way to much into it.. We are not a space shuttle here! LOL

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire