Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Another Install Oopsy!

I'm finally getting around to getting my door to close without having to slam it. Had to add shims to the striker plate so that the edge of the door didn't hit it. During cold temperatures it would barely clear it, but the hotter the temps the more it would hit. I still have a rubbing issue on the top edge were I need to file the small upper lip a little bit to clear the frame.

Another problem was that you could not close the door while the screen door was connected to the main door by using the screen door's handle. Come to find out the screen door's striker plate was not properly aligned to accept the latch.

In this picture you can see the acceptable area it should strike. The installer installed it too far to the left. I had to move over so that it would work as intended. Now I can close the entire door with the grab handle (I have one of the horizontal aftermarket handles).

I need to put some white putty in the original hole

Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
2014 XLR 27HFS

Alparmer,

I have to slam my door for it to latch too. How did you go about finding what needed to be adjusted around the door frame? I'd like to be able to just close it without slamming it.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
Alparmer,

I have to slam my door for it to latch too. How did you go about finding what needed to be adjusted around the door frame? I'd like to be able to just close it without slamming it.
First, look at your strike plate and latch to make sure nothing binds (see picture). I used one washer on each screw to bring the plate further in. Also look around the door's frame to see if the door is hitting the frame. Ours is currently hitting on top and I can see bare metal inn the exact area. I'm going to file down the little door's edge in that area so that it doesn't hit the frame. Hope it helps.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

I had to bring my strike plate out. The opposite direction than yours. I did this by taking a small pry bar and bending it out.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #5

I had to move over my latch also. It's been a year so I don't remember which way but I did eventually fix mine.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote