Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #21

Any Georgetown 351 owners?

Why does the factory not have it on those settings to begin with if it makes such a difference in handling?
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Why does the factory not have it on those settings to begin with if it makes such a difference in handling?
That is exactly the thing that I have never been able to get past. If not the Ford factory, then why not Forest River?

I have read from lots of the mechanics comments -- and there seems a split even between them on this subject. So, I have always just refrained -- heck, I even bought the torque wrench and was ready to do it.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
At the rally, the guy from FORD gave a seminar and he did not recommend the CHF. He advised that the extra set of holes was originally used for something else (I think he said a tracking bar), and that the part with the holes in it was continued to be used after the design changed and the bar was no longer needed. He felt that the CHF could stress the chassis mounts since it was not made for that use.
NOW...lots of folks here are happy and I've never seen anyone reporting a failure...but that is what Ford has to say on the matter. Perhaps the F-53 chassis is being used for lots of different applications where it is not needed.
On my 280DS... I got the steering stabilizer but have not done the CHF nor do I feel I have any need for it. So maybe it varies by model.
Given how easy it is to do...AND reverse.... If your handling needs it...it seems like it would be worth a try. Worst case...put it back the way it was. Best case...you have a cure. Good luck.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
JBP

Sorry guys what is the CHF? Maybe a dumb question.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #25
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Sorry guys what is the CHF? Maybe a dumb question.

It is the Cheap Handling Fix. Go back on this thread to post #20, I posted a video I found on line that explains it. I have a 329DS that after getting an alignment, weighing it and adjusting air pressure rides good enough for me. I haven't done the CHF, but others have done it with great success.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown