Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Anybody using the Banks Intake or Exhaust Systems?

Anybody using the Banks equipment? Do you use the intake system, exhaust system, or both?

Did it make a big difference in power or mileage?

Was it worth the price?

Thanks!
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

I dont have any first hand experience but I have read on other forums that there is noticeable power increase but little mileage change. What year is your RV???? Ford updated the engine in 2008. I met someone recently that had the whoole banks kit and he said the power was great but his mileage wac actually worse cause he put his foot so much into it..........To me it would seem more power+ light foot=MPG
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

We have a "New" (to us) 2008 Georgetown 373
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #4

Do you know what year the chassis is? It could be 2007 or 2008. Most of the banks systems are for pre 2008 models according to their site
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

The banks air intakes for Fords are separated between the 20Valve V10 and the 30 Valve V10.

If you have a 2008 Georgetown, chances are you have a 30V and would need kit #49191.

I installed the air intake today. No plans to do any other banks gear.

I'm not expecting any difference in mileage, but hoping for less RPMs / less noise when I'm under heavy acceleration. Also I now have a lifetime filter that should keep a lot more dirt out of the engine.

I've got a 2000+ mile trip coming up in a few weeks, so I'll know more after that.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion, be very leary of any claim from any manufacturer of more power and better fuel economy. I can tell you from years of racing experience, that you don't make more power using more air...it takes more fuel period.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
In my opinion, be very leary of any claim from any manufacturer of more power and better fuel economy. I can tell you from years of racing experience, that you don't make more power using more air...it takes more fuel period.

Dave
Agreed. It's simple physics, otherwise Banks would be in the perpetual motion machine business.

From the reading I've done, they increase engine power output by allowing better airflow in and out and by adjusting the computer to deliver more fuel.

Ford is setting everything up to find a balance between function, cost and reliability. Banks is chucking cost out the window and probably sacrificing some long term reliability (maybe the engine goes 150K miles vs. 300K) for higher output.

So under hard acceleration your going to get better performance (sucking fuel like a 72 Caddy) and under a light foot you'll get better mileage, so it should even out for the typical driver.

I just did the air intake, not messing with the exhaust. My goal is open up the airflow under hard acceleration (it already has a much deeper sound just in the driveway when I run it up to 4000+ RPM) and I could smell the more fuel in the exhaust..

I should end up with less of the high pitched noise under hard acceleration and maybe it climbs hills with a few less RPM. If nothing else I've got a lifetime / high quality air filter, plus it was fun to put on and I've got all these cool Banks stickers!

TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #8

anyone know about gibson, or flowmaster exhaust system are they any good?
wileynote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Save your money. As for less RPM's, that's a function of gearing and can ONLY be controlled by gearing. In today's world with lock-up torque converters, the only way to turn less rpm for a given speed is to decrease the gear ratio. As for Banks and other aftermarket stuff, IT WILL NEVER PAY FOR ITSELF!!!!!! As Dave said, more power is more fuel, PERIOD!!!!! Yes more air is good, but the computer will add more fuel to keep the mixture where it needs to be. Manufacturers spend millions of $$$ trying to get 1 more mile per gallon out of the fleet. They have tried it all, as far as fuel mileage goes. They also have to build a long lasting product, as previously mentioned. Save your money, spend it on gas and campground fees, and have a good time camping with the family.

my 2 cents,,,,,,,,,,,ASE certified Master Tech on autos and light trucks. Now don't tell me RV's are different, they're not, still have to meet emission standards and figure in to the FLEET mileage of an auto maker.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #10

VERY well said Windrider.

Guys are always trying to get back HP on Jeeps after putting on huge tires by adding the "fresh" air intake kits, it NEVER works because as you point out the only way to get the HP back is to re-gear. Unfortunately a lot of fools out there are parted of upwards of $400 for these systems on Jeeps. I have never been a fan of them on ANY vehicle.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I added the Intake System on mine. Better fuel mileage, doubtful, but throttle response is better. I run less RPMs climbing hills without needing to floor it and hear the engine scream at 4500 RPMs. I'm sure some of it depends on the traffic around me and how I'm able to get a good run at the hill. I will tell you that before if I lost momentum because of someone cutting me off or just dying going up the hill I would have to floor it to barely move. Now with this situation I can start gaining speed at lower RPMs and I may be burning more fuel or not, at least I'm not abusing the engine as badly as before. This is my personal experience so it's not just an opinion.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #12

Charlie,
Did you install the Air Intake system yourself? If so, was it easy?

I am mechanically inclined, but it looks very cramped and difficult to manuever in the engine compartment.

Thanks!
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
Charlie,
Did you install the Air Intake system yourself? If so, was it easy?

I am mechanically inclined, but it looks very cramped and difficult to manuever in the engine compartment.

Thanks!
Yes it's very simple. The only thing a little tricky is getting the original out. You need to turn it to follow the curving but that's all. I removed the hose clamps wherever I could get to them so it came out in a couple pieces. It took about an hour to do. You do need to transfer one sensor but the kit is set up so it fits right in.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #14

Charlie,
Thanks for the info. I think I will add this to my wish list and present my proposal to SWMBO for purchase approval.
Adam
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote