Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Arctic Package?

DW and I almost committed to new Georgetown xl 378. Includes Arctic Package. Exactly what does this package encompass and, realistically, what temperature is it good to?

Welcoming any and all comments-Thanks in advance!!
goodstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

The only thing I have seen with the Artic Pack is a heat pad on the side of the fresh water tank. I have a 350. Heat in the coach is supposed to keep lines warm.
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Artic Packs are just heat pads with temp control on fresh water and holding tanks, they come on to help protect liquids from freezing, but do not protect water lines.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Anacortesians

If they're like the ones on my Georgetown, they are only applied to the black and grey tanks. There isn't one on the potable water tank. We bought the rig used and the original owner chose them.

According to the manufacturer's documentation, they are controlled by thermostats built into the pads. The temps at which they turn on (at 40F, falling) and off (60F and rising) are not adjustable. Who wants to heat the sewage up to 60 degrees?!

They are 12v DC powered and draw 7 amps each. My installation has two on each of the waste tanks. It doesn't look as though there's any overheat protection if they get turned on with the tanks empty, and I'm concerned about possible melt-through of the tanks, with 84 watts of power going into a fairly small area.

I think, at best they're not much use, and at worst they are potetially damaging. Since we don't use the RV in cold weather, I've disconnected mine.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

I am new to having heated tanks also. However, from reading fall and winter camping stories from fellow campers on other forums, it would seem to me as a handy option. This seems to be especially true with the heated knife valves for dumping the tanks as that seems to be a common freeze point for those who extend their camping season.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
Artic Packs are just heat pads with temp control on fresh water and holding tanks, they come on to help protect liquids from freezing, but do not protect water lines.

Sorry to disagree but the actual Artic Pac is more than just heat pads onthe bottom of the grey and black tanks.
I also have them on my dump staion elbows as well as my water lines coming into my rig. If I get a chance I will take afew pictures of the few pads that are visable. They look like heavy aluminum foil with wires comeing out of them. Take a look at your water and dump staion and look up under the panel. You may or may not have them but only the 2 pads on the tanks. My MH said it had the artic pac on the invoice.

Pictures soon
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

In the paperwork on our Sunseeker it also states that we have higher R value insulation. I assume this would be in the floor. Don't really see how it could be walls or ceiling.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
In the paperwork on our Sunseeker it also states that we have higher R value insulation. I assume this would be in the floor. Don't really see how it could be walls or ceiling.
In my MHI have dual pane windowswhich is a seperate option for winter/summer

I found an old msg here about artic pack
The "Arctic Package" on FR motorhomes at least is heating pads on the holding and water tanks as well as the elbows on the sewage drains that when turned on will automatically come on when the temps drop to or below freezing and will heat said items above to around 45 degrees and keep them there so that they don't freeze.

Dual pane windows are a separate option or are included in a larger option package, or at least that is the way it was when we ordered ours last year.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote