Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Artic pack heated tanks

I plan on using my Rv during wintertime, does the artic pack keep the tanks from freezing up does anyone else use their Rv in winter? I plan on staying on the Cumbres pass in Colorado where the temps drop below zero at times . So is this doable?the coach is a Georgetown 378
boondocking fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
RJJ

I have a 2015 329, stayed between Frisco and Breckenridge last feb. Got to -5 a couple of nights. I have added foam insulation cut to size to the bays and put drop lights in there as well. Water pump froze one night, i remounted it on a piece of wood and wrapped it in insulation. I had no further issues with it. We have done this trip for about 12 years in a previous motorhome, and was glad to see the Georgetown could handle it. Heated water hose also works well and if you get up at night, run a bit of water just to keep things fluid. Winter camping is great, as we travel, we find ourselves often the only people in a state park with fresh snowfall. The dogs love it and so do we. There is risk of freezing, so take every precaution you can. If you're near others in a campground you will learn more tricks to winter camping from them as well. Enjoy.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
RJJ

I just saw you were a boondocking fool, some of my suggestions may not apply😄

2015 329D
Old 09-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

Thanks for your input I do plan on adding insulation to the bay's. Did you use ridgid insulation or batt ? I plan on cutting some 2" thick insulation to size and enclose as much as possible,so your only issue was with the water pump , that's good to hear . I'm hoping the artic pack gives off enough warmth to keep the tanks and lines from freezing up . On the screen name I do a lot of snowmobiling so that's where the name comes from......😎
Old 09-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
RJJ

I used rigid insulation and actually taped the seams and leave it in place year round. It doesn't take up much space and i don't want to reinstall annually (lazy). Arctic packs work well for the tanks, I don't know if that would be enough heat for the pipes running through the bay's or not. Im sure our coaches are laid out differently, but to be safe I hang the drop light in two bays where the plumbing seems vulnerable. Have fun out there. After years of Summit county skiing we are heading to Utah this Feb, for a change of scenery. Just remembered if you don't know, place a piece of wood or similar under your jacks, learned the first year that they tend to freeze to the ground if there is any thawing and refreezing.

2015 329D
Old 09-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #6

Thanks I will be sure to use wood blocks under the jacks . Do the drop lights give off enough heat or would I need a heater in the bay's? I thought with the insulation installed the artic pack would give off enough warmth to keep from freezing if not I will try the drop lights before trying the heaters. Is there anything else I should do
Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking fool View Post
I plan on using my Rv during wintertime, does the artic pack keep the tanks from freezing up does anyone else use their Rv in winter? I plan on staying on the Cumbres pass in Colorado where the temps drop below zero at times . So is this doable?the coach is a Georgetown 378
Your tanks should come on when the sensor reads 40 and the switch is on. More then likely your valves should also have heat tape on. It would be best to put a 1500 watt heater down below to and run it if you have a power pole hook it up to the 20 amp socket. You will probably burn a lot of propane, you will also need a heated hose for water and also wrap the water pipe. It will probably still freeze. If the temps raise above 32 during the day it could be done but if you stay below 32 for any length of time I would have to say no. These units are just not made for long periods of time for use in that kinda of temp. Good luck on your adventure.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

Thanks for your response Sir , do I need to run a new water line when you say heated line I plan to only stay 2 nights a week so hopefully the rig can handle a little cold weather. Rarely will I stay for a long time up there 4 nights at most
Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking fool View Post
Thanks for your response Sir , do I need to run a new water line when you say heated line I plan to only stay 2 nights a week so hopefully the rig can handle a little cold weather. Rarely will I stay for a long time up there 4 nights at most
If you fill your fresh water tank then I wouldn't even bother to pay the price for a heated hose. A heated hose only works if the riser does not freeze. 2 nights a week a would go for it. but not extended stay. Your weak point is your controls were your switching valves are insulate that as best as you can and I don't think you would have a problem for 2 day's. Let us know how it works out.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
RJJ

Arctic pack in my 329 is like a heating pad that warms what it comes in contact with, (tanks and drain lines) but doesn't really put off heat. My bays where my plumbing lines run are fairly small, so a drop light with 75 watt bulb works well. I know others with larger areas put heaters below. Hope this helps and you enjoy your trips.

2015 329D
Old 09-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
I have a 2015 329, stayed between Frisco and Breckenridge last feb. Got to -5 a couple of nights. I have added foam insulation cut to size to the bays and put drop lights in there as well. Water pump froze one night, i remounted it on a piece of wood and wrapped it in insulation. I had no further issues with it. We have done this trip for about 12 years in a previous motorhome, and was glad to see the Georgetown could handle it. Heated water hose also works well and if you get up at night, run a bit of water just to keep things fluid. Winter camping is great, as we travel, we find ourselves often the only people in a state park with fresh snowfall. The dogs love it and so do we. There is risk of freezing, so take every precaution you can. If you're near others in a campground you will learn more tricks to winter camping from them as well. Enjoy.
I have seen a heated hose mentioned a couple of times on this forum. I did a couple of searches to try and buy one but can not find any for sale. Can you tell me where they are available?

Or is it just a hat tape fastened to a white hose? I have an extra hos I don't normally use and could do that easily.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
RJJ

And agree with above poster for a 2 day trip, I would just fill the fresh water tank.

2015 329D
Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
RJJ

Oldtool2, I have one that someone made me that is about 10 years old and bought a longer hose by Pirit last season, due to distance from water source, my old hose wouldn't reach. Should be able to find them at Amazon or Camping World or other online retailers. Reviews range from love to hate, so far so good with mine. Some prefer to just fill their water tank and use that when freezing temps are are around.

2015 329DS
Old 09-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Arctic pack in my 329 is like a heating pad that warms what it comes in contact with, (tanks and drain lines) but doesn't really put off heat. My bays where my plumbing lines run are fairly small, so a drop light with 75 watt bulb works well. I know others with larger areas put heaters below. Hope this helps and you enjoy your trips.

2015 329D
I talked to a tech about the pads on my Signature ultra lite and he told me those pads are designed to keep the tanks from freezing. He didn't give me a temperature range though. He did keep reminding me that these are not 4 season trailers though. I don't think I would trust them below degrees without adding some kind of heat to the underbelly. Especially if day temps don't get above freezing.

I am adding a 4 inch duct booster fan to blow heat into the underbelly for days when I am going to be using electric heat. Also setting the stat at about incas the electric heater can't keep up. This should keeps things good to around zero.

Jim
Old 09-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #15

Just a word of warning: Jason and Nikki of Gone with the Wynns said they tried hanging bulbs in the bays, and they had problems with the bulbs melting the plastic down there. You might be able to avoid this problem just by carefully placing your bulbs, but the Wynns prefer to use small heaters like this on the lowest setting: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/

Here's their post about it: How To Prepare Your RV for a Winter Adventure
Skadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Oldtool2, I have one that someone made me that is about 10 years old and bought a longer hose by Pirit last season, due to distance from water source, my old hose wouldn't reach. Should be able to find them at Amazon or Camping World or other online retailers. Reviews range from love to hate, so far so good with mine. Some prefer to just fill their water tank and use that when freezing temps are are around.

2015 329DS
Thank you. I had searched on Amazon and couldn't find it but it came right up using the manufacture. I am setting the 5er up so I can use the FW tank and pump in cold weather but would like to use the cg water if possible so would need a heated hose. Know got to decide if I want to make it or buy it. Looks like it is much cheaper to make! I have an extra hose, just got to get a heat tape.

Jim
Old 09-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #17

CW sells them as do others, check for heated water hose.
They are around 120+

I made one for about 35$, got a 25 hose, 25 ft of heater tape, pipe insulation and duct tape. It is slightly bulky, we have used it down to low 20s at night, it would warm up during the day.. Not a problem with it.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadi View Post
Just a word of warning: Jason and Nikki of Gone with the Wynns said they tried hanging bulbs in the bays, and they had problems with the bulbs melting the plastic down there. You might be able to avoid this problem just by carefully placing your bulbs, but the Wynns prefer to use small heaters like this on the lowest setting: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/

Here's their post about it: How To Prepare Your RV for a Winter Adventure
I just bought this the other day, should be here Tuesday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

The thing I liked about this is I can set it on low, 375 watts. I am going to use it to protect my plumbing and pump that is located in my unheated storage area. That area will be about 16 sq. feet once I insulate it.

Light bulbs are cheaper but can get very hot to the touch! I have seen a rubber hose destroyed by one.

Jim
Old 09-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #19

Thanks for all the help guys , lots of great info on this site👍
Old 09-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I have seen a heated hose mentioned a couple of times on this forum. I did a couple of searches to try and buy one but can not find any for sale. Can you tell me where they are available?

Or is it just a hat tape fastened to a white hose? I have an extra hos I don't normally use and could do that easily.

Jim

http://www.pirithose.com/. I have one of these. Works great as long as the faucet you connect to is protected.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank