Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

Automatic Battery Fill Systems

Anybody installed an automatic battery fill system for house batteries? How well does it work? What brand did you choose?

I have 4 house batteries in my Georgetown with no pullout tray. Hard to see water levels in 24 cells let lone fill them all. Thanks, Larry
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Had it and removed it because it didn't work as efficient as you may thing.
Once or twice a year spend a little bit of time to inspect and if it needs a little bit of distilled water buy a 1 gallon jug at Wal-Mart and fill accordingly. If you can't see inside the cell use a small mirror like the ones they sell at Harbor Freight.
You can use a turkey baster if you need to add a little bit.
All you need I take the time and do it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

I bought a trojan system, pricey but worth it. My battery cells are covered up after I installed the Trojan T1275. Now I fill up all cells in less than 2 minutes and no dirty hands.
It came with a quick connect water line hose.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-care/

Have four six-volts so took two. Took a bit to cut tubes exactly but was easy to do.

I love it. Works great. Makes battery maintenance a snap. I can't get to two of my four batteries. No clue why they'd make the shelf so tight, but they did. This fixes that.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #5

Hi,

I have been using Flow Rite systems for maybe 15 years with several sets of Trojans.

Fast, easy, and we'll worth the investment when your battery tops are not readily accessible.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

I have two 6V batteries in my 2011 Georgetown and use an automatic watering system. The batteries are located at least 18" in from the sidewall and it's almost impossible to check the electrolyte level in the batteries. The system I have includes a pop-up indicator that shows that the batteries do not need additional distilled water. The included hand pump and the sealing valves on the tubing make it a 30 -60 second job to top off the batteries. I keep two 1-pint jars of distilled water for refill tasks. Additional distilled water is readily available from any grocery store.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #7

Automatic Battery Fill Systems

My coach sits for the winter. Do you drain the Fill System for Winter?
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

I hadn't thought about draining it for the winter but I don't do that. I don't even know if there's a way to drain the system because there's a sealing valve where it hooks up to the hand pump.

I suppose I could remove one of the tubes from a cell cap and use the pump to blow out all of the water in the tubes. That still won't remove the water in the rest of the distribution tubes. The plastic tubing should also have enough stretch in it to not split if the water in it freezes. I know that mine hasn't over the last two winters, when there were temperatures well below freezing.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

Hi,

In the more than a decade I have used mine -- in winter storage in northern Illinois -- I have never drained the hoses themselves. Never had a fractured coupling or split hose, in sustained temps well below zero.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery