Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Batteries won't charge on shore power - but DO on Generator??

So, what could cause the batteries to NOT charge on Shore Power, but DO charge on Generator (and/or engine)?

MH has been sitting, on shore power for a month or so since last trip. I find the batteries dead. The 110v ac system works (slides work), but the steps dont work. I disconnect from shore power, start the engine and the batteries charge. I start the generator, stop the engine and the batteries charge.

side note: these are the "stock" batteries from when I bought the MH "new" in early 2018 - and they've been completely drained a few times since. They dont hold a charge very well. I do plan to replace them with new AGM deep-cycle.

thx!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

i'll take guess. just a guess.

i think steps are 12 volt. with a dead battery they won't work. batteries being charged from engine is simply a 12 volt issue and is not affected by 120 volt supplies. the fact that the batteries charged when on generator supplied 120 volt power says the converter / charger is working properly.

i'm also guessing that you have a 50 amp rv. if so it sounds like one of the 50 amp power legs is not supplying power. the converter / charger is connected to the leg that is not supplying power. the fault could be at any point from the pedestal itself up to the shore power inputs to the transfer switch. get a meter and check each and every junction along that path.

if this assumption is correct then all the 120 volt devices that are on the same power leg will be missing power also. go to you distribution panel and identify all the circuits that are on the same leg as the converter. then check these device to see if they have power. if all of them do not have power then it probably is a bad power leg.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Head Rambler

A good bit of the time when we see symptoms like yours, it's the transfer switch that's the problem. Just something to keep in mind.

Tags
batteries, generator, power, shore power