Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

Battery disconnect switch.

For those of you who use a battery disconnect switch on your house batteries. What do you use? It seems most switches aren’t designed for the weird small post terminal.
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
NXR

I believe most people, if they have a need such as extended storage without power, just use the built-in switch and then pull the individual fuses located at the house batteries or just disconnect the negative cable itself.

Ray
Old 10-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I believe most people, if they have a need such as extended storage without power, just use the built-in switch and then pull the individual fuses located at the house batteries or just disconnect the negative cable itself.

Ray

That makes sense. I’m just looking for something a bit cleaner as I’m now using the RV as my office. I have 50amp to the coach which is what I use 99% of the time. As such disconnecting the battery would reduce wear. I’d like an easy, no-tools, no fuses disconnect / re-connect for the occasional times I want to have the battery as a backup for the fridge.
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This is mine. (actually an older model but works the same) I have it connected to two batteries. I can use one battery, the other or both.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is mine. (actually an older model but works the same) I have it connected to two batteries. I can use one battery, the other or both.
X2
Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_110741.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	241000  
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
That makes sense. I’m just looking for something a bit cleaner as I’m now using the RV as my office. I have 50amp to the coach which is what I use 99% of the time. As such disconnecting the battery would reduce wear. I’d like an easy, no-tools, no fuses disconnect / re-connect for the occasional times I want to have the battery as a backup for the fridge.
If you have a multi-stage converter you probably need to do nothing. I normally add water, barely, once or twice a year. The motorhome is effectively plugged in all the time all year.

Ray
Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
I would not discount the house batteries if you are using the MH as your office. Some of the components such as lights are 12V and use the batteries for power. Also there is other parasitic 12V power supply that is required such as alarms and sensors. The converter will recharge the house batteries as needed.

In my humble opinion I would leave the house batteries connected since you are using the MH. Just check the water level in your batteries more often.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I would not discount the house batteries if you are using the MH as your office. Some of the components such as lights are 12V and use the batteries for power. Also there is other parasitic 12V power supply that is required such as alarms and sensors. The converter will recharge the house batteries as needed.

In my humble opinion I would leave the house batteries connected since you are using the MH. Just check the water level in your batteries more often.
When on shore power the Georgetown's converter will supply all the 12Vdc required for all 12Vdc items. The battery is not needed when on shore power but with the coach batteries disconnected they will not maintain a charge so left connected is the way to go. The GT 4 stage converter will prevent over charging. Basically, it's like being at a full hookup camp ground.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch