Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Battery Question

Our 2016 Georgetown stays plugged in to shore power when we are home for long periods at a time. Should we turn off the battery disconnect during this time to keep from continuing to throw charge to the batteries or does it matter?
David658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

I personally would.
Most of the new converters out there keep from overcharging.
But even a trickle charge can slowly boil away water in the battery, then you will have a problem if the levels get too low.

First double check the level fluid level in the batteries, if they are full then disconnect from the coach... Just turn it back on a day before you leave on a trip!

If they are low on fluid, fill with distilled water give it a day of charging then disconnect.
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #3

I have mine plugged in and batteries not disconnected. Both the coach and chassis batteries stay fully charged (float charged at 13.1 volts). Checking the battery water level occasionally is what I do but it's not an every day thing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

battery

Does anyone know the specs on the house batteries for a Georgetown 31R5? I bought a solar trickle charger and it says a 12V 05h will not over charge...what the heck does that mean?
noelleclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelleclark View Post
Does anyone know the specs on the house batteries for a Georgetown 31R5? I bought a solar trickle charger and it says a 12V 05h will not over charge...what the heck does that mean?
This is called a battery maintainer, so another words NOTHING can be connected, draining the battery. So it will keep the battery from, going dead sitting for months.
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

battery

I think that's what I want. When the motor home is just sitting in a lot, main battery switch off to house batteries, I don't want to arrive and find the MH won't start because of a dead battery. BUT, I'm also worried about "boiling" the battery and ruining it. I'm thinking a 3W shouldn't do that.
noelleclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery