Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Battery questions for 2010 330TS

Our rig (as I assume in all GT models) has a standard battery under the hood (basically for the operations of the motor part of the RV) and is obviously charged by the alternator on the V10 engine. Then there are the 2 batteries under the entrance steps (for the various operations of the living quarters of the RV). Then there is some kind of "connecting" switch located for the driver's convenience to bring the various batteries together when needed.

Questions....

While driving, do the 2 batteries under the steps get charged from the engine alternator operation somehow?

If I use a solar charger panel for the engine battery through the cigarette lighter socket in the dash (which is alive all the time) does this assist in charging the 2 batteries under the steps?

When plugged into shore power, does this recharge any of the above mentioned batteries? Might you ever use the generator to recharge any of the batteries?

Does the shore power matter whether it's 15/30/50 amp service as it's related to the batteries?

Enquiring minds need to know!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Our rig (as I assume in all GT models) has a standard battery under the hood (basically for the operations of the motor part of the RV) and is obviously charged by the alternator on the V10 engine. Then there are the 2 batteries under the entrance steps (for the various operations of the living quarters of the RV). Then there is some kind of "connecting" switch located for the driver's convenience to bring the various batteries together when needed.
The "battery boost" switch on the dash connects the house batteries (under the steps) to the engine battery to give you a jump start in case your engine battery is dead.

Quote:
While driving, do the 2 batteries under the steps get charged from the engine alternator operation somehow?
Yes all the batteries should get charged while the engine is running. Shortly after you start the engine you should hear a "CLUNCK" from under the steps. That's the battery control center connecting your batteries together so they can all be charged.

Quote:
If I use a solar charger panel for the engine battery through the cigarette lighter socket in the dash (which is alive all the time) does this assist in charging the 2 batteries under the steps?
There should be a switch near the radio that selects which battery the radio and cigarette lighters run off of. A small dashboard solar panel probability won't generate enough power to make the battery control center connect all the batteries together. So your small solar panel would be charging whatever battery the radio switch is set to.

In my coach having the radio switch up connects the radio (and cigarette lighters) to the engine battery and down connects then to the house battery.
Quote:
When plugged into shore power, does this recharge any of the above mentioned batteries? Might you ever use the generator to recharge any of the batteries?

Yes when plugged into shore power or generator the battery control center should sense the higher voltage generated by your converter and you'll get that "CLUNK" as it connects all your batteries. So all your batteries will be charged when you're plugged in.

Quote:
Does the shore power matter whether it's 15/30/50 amp service as it's related to the batteries?
It shouldn't matter what type of service you're plugged into. The converter will always be on as long as there is shore (or generator) power provided and so will be charging your batteries.

It would be a good idea to get a simple voltage meter to plug into your cigarette lighter plug. Then you can see when things are getting charged. If you see anything greater than about 13 volts the batteries are likely getting a charge.

Prime Products - 12/24 Volt LCD Voltage Meter - 12 Volt Accessories - Camping World
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Thanks for the breakdown of answering each question individually. Great response and very detailed. Thanks again.

BTW.......I DO have a 12V meter like you referenced from Radio Shack.....shows red/yellow/green for the various voltages without the exact digital readout. I have used this for years on my cars and motorcycles. That's how I knew the cigarette lighter in the MH was "live" all the time, and what approximate voltage I had, AND if the solar panel charger was actually doing anything. Just didn't know what battery/batteries I might be monitoring at any given time.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery