Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Battery replacement.

So my house batteries are toast.
My goal is to be able to run my residential refrigerator over night. We don’t do a time of boondocking. I also need to get back on the road next week so no time for major structural changes.
Currently I have two lead acid flooded batteries with 1000 CCA and 180 reserve capacity. This is a 2013 Georgetown 351DS

Any suggestions on what to do next? AGM? 6v? Different sizes or capacities?

Attaching a pic of the battery bay
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9249.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	230872

Thanks for any guidance.
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
NXR

I've not had to address this but I'm pretty sure the CCA (cold cranking amps) is not that relevant for house batteries but using a deep cycle battery is. I think most marine-type deep cycle batteries are a combination.

AGM saves you from the "adding water" aspect and supposedly recharge faster but I think they're quite a bit more expensive.

When I do it, I'm going to go to four 6-volt golf cart batteries that will fit in the same physical space. I already checked with the converter manufacturer and they said my converter will work fine with AGM or 6-volt batteries. (Progressive Dynamics PD9270).

Your constraint is the time to your next trip. How many full days does "next week" mean?

Ray
Old 06-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I've not had to address this but I'm pretty sure the CCA (cold cranking amps) is not that relevant for house batteries but using a deep cycle battery is. I think most marine-type deep cycle batteries are a combination.

AGM saves you from the "adding water" aspect and supposedly recharge faster but I think they're quite a bit more expensive.

When I do it, I'm going to go to four 6-volt golf cart batteries that will fit in the same physical space. I already checked with the converter manufacturer and they said my converter will work fine with AGM or 6-volt batteries. (Progressive Dynamics PD9270).

Your constraint is the time to your next trip. How many full days does "next week" mean?

Ray
When it comes to "Marine" batteries, there are really two different types. One is designed to be both a deep cycle battery yet still capable of providing starting current for marine engines. The other is a Marine DEEP CYCLE battery designed primarily to provide power for times when engines aren't running. Often referred to in the boating world (and RV world as well) as "House Batteries".

If you see a battery marked "Marine" and it has a CCA rating, doesn't always mean it's not suitable as a deep cycle house battery. In reality the CCA ratings are often MUCH lower than that of a battery designed for starting use.

As for "getting back on the road" as soon as possible, the quickest and easiest way, and probably least expensive, would be to replace the existing batteries with a pair of Marine DEEP CYCLE batteries. No need to change cables or possible fit issues.

I can't speak for all auto parts stores but I have had experience with O'Reilly AP and they do sell a DEEP CYCLE marine battery that is not a starting battery. For example a group 27 marine starting battery will have a part number of DCMSJ. Decoded it means DC= Deep Cycle MS= Marine Starting J= Johnson Controls (the manufacturer). A group 27 Deep Cycle Marine NOT designed as a starting battery will have the part number 27 DCMJ. No "S" means it's merely designed as a Deep Cycle and not for starting purposed.

Also costs about $5 more.

Note: the "manufacturer code" may change depending on what part of the country you're in as they use different suppliers depending on region. The rest of the PN code remains the same.

BTW, the name "Super Start" on their batteries is just a brand name. Doesn't mean it's only a starting battery.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

No boondocking and just need for over night...

Go get some new Walmart batteries (lead acid) and be done with for 3 plus years. Those batteries are about $110 a piece. That price includes the tax. 850cca and this is what I use to keep my stuff going over night.

Go go any other route going to cost you $300 plus changing cables, tray and even needing to upgrade your battery charger.

I'm sure others will try and prove me wrong but big deal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...e-65N/20703125
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ab01d84d-310c-4ea2-a323-e86051b9cce5.9f9572504fb0d7a939a2e45c43c57db5.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	230875  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Go get some new Walmart batteries (lead acid) and be done with for 3 plus years. Those batteries are about $125 a piece. That price includes the tax.

Go go any other route going to cost you $300 plus changing cables, tray and even needing to upgrade your battery charger.

Not to prove you wrong, just offering a different option. a group 27 Deep Cycle (27 DCMJ) at O'Reilly is only $92 (at least at my local store). Check prices online.

FWIW, I got a couple years out of these before I sold my old trailer and they were still going strong for a couple days. without charging.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Go get some new Walmart batteries (lead acid) and be done with for 3 plus years. Those batteries are about $125 a piece. That price includes the tax.

Not to prove you wrong, just offering a different option. a group 27 Deep Cycle (27 DCMJ) at O'Reilly is only $92 (at least at my local store). Check prices online.

BTW, for those who may be interested, the battery I described is made by Johnson Controls who also makes a good part of the Interstate batteries (depending on geographic location of distribution center).

Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

i guess i'll ask. supposed you get the batteries and are able to run the refrigerator overnight. then what? how are you going to recharge the batteries? if you say generator and you are boondocking (ie not in a camp) could you use an auto generator start device to charge the batteries?

also, i don't know what model refrigerator you have. ours has an operator panel on the door and we turn off some features such as ice maker and quick freeze in order to save power when we need to run the refrigerator off the inverter.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #8

I changed my house batteries last spring for 2 Duracell Marine at Sams Club. They had a special sale at $88 each. The old batts were still OK (after 9 years) but the sale was too good to miss.
How long does your fridge run? Should not be on continuously.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i guess i'll ask. supposed you get the batteries and are able to run the refrigerator overnight. then what? how are you going to recharge the batteries? if you say generator and you are boondocking (ie not in a camp) could you use an auto generator start device to charge the batteries?

also, i don't know what model refrigerator you have. ours has an operator panel on the door and we turn off some features such as ice maker and quick freeze in order to save power when we need to run the refrigerator off the inverter.

Thanks for the questions. Hopefully I’m understanding correctly.

Typically our “boondocking” is a quick overnight stop at an interstate rest stop, a Walmart, or Cabella’s to get some sleep when driving between destinations. That or we have a full day drive and we don’t want to run the generator. Assuming it makes it through the night, I’d charge with the genny in the morning or at the destination campsite if the batteries would last that long.

I don’t have a generator auto start. At night I’d prefer to have it not start up and wake the kids anyway. During the day we can typically fire up the generator on the road if needed.

An auto start would be great to prevent over drainage on the batteries though!

As for the fridge, we have the big double door unit. And like you we have ice off and quick freeze off.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
I changed my house batteries last spring for 2 Duracell Marine at Sams Club. They had a special sale at $88 each. The old batts were still OK (after 9 years) but the sale was too good to miss.
How long does your fridge run? Should not be on continuously.

It doesn’t run non-stop. Hard to say now how long it runs on the batts. I bought the RV used, so not sure how long it ran on batts when new. Heck... I’m not sure if it’s even feasible to make it all night on two batts. :-)
Anyone else have a residential fridge and two batts?
Old 06-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #11

Have you run the refrigerator on batteries before? Do you have an inverter with enough capacity to run it?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray

Friday!
Old 06-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
It doesn’t run non-stop. Hard to say now how long it runs on the batts. I bought the RV used, so not sure how long it ran on batts when new. Heck... I’m not sure if it’s even feasible to make it all night on two batts. :-)
Anyone else have a residential fridge and two batts?
I have a 2013 378XL with a residential fridge. I purchase 2 Trojan T1275 batteries and they last a good 14 hours before dropping to 12 volts. They go up to 12.2 after resting. Though I think you could get by with 2 12 volt deep cell/ marine batteries from Sam's for about 90 bucks each. The Trojans were pricey at $165. But they are great batteries. If I did it over again I would try the Sam's batteries.
6 volt batteries are the best choice but I don't know about the physical size would fit.
My batteries are 5 years old and are still going strong.
Ask any questions you have, we are here to help.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I have a 2013 378XL with a residential fridge. I purchase 2 Trojan T1275 batteries and they last a good 14 hours before dropping to 12 volts. They go up to 12.2 after resting. Though I think you could get by with 2 12 volt deep cell/ marine batteries from Sam's for about 90 bucks each. The Trojans were pricey at $165. But they are great batteries. If I did it over again I would try the Sam's batteries.
6 volt batteries are the best choice but I don't know about the physical size would fit.
I'm in with Wrapperman.

2 Trojan 12v T1275's. Bought them when I bought 4 for my golf cart and put then in parallel on the camper. Mine are about 15 months old and I can get 20-24 hours depending on outside temps. Not sure if that's because they are newer than Wrappermans or because of a difference in the fridges we are using.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Have you run the refrigerator on batteries before? Do you have an inverter with enough capacity to run it?

Yes and yes. Used it on the inverter and batts last two years. Issue was that by morning the batts were dead and the inverter gave up trying. Not sure if that’s normal or the batts were already a bit old and under the weather.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #16

Quote:

The Trojans I see on line are 150ah compared to the 80ah or 90ah I see for the standard deep cycle marine. So those are beasts. Amazon has them but much more expensive than you paid.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I'm in with Wrapperman.

2 Trojan 12v T1275's. Bought them when I bought 4 for my golf cart and put then in parallel on the camper. Mine are about 15 months old and I can get 20-24 hours depending on outside temps. Not sure if that's because they are newer than Wrappermans or because of a difference in the fridges we are using.
I believe I could have gotten more than 14 hours I just stopped at that cause I didn't want to go any lower than 12 volts while running on inverter. That was on a very hot day, 98 degrees, so ther fridge was running hard and the AC was not running in the coach. I unplugged my coach in the morning at 7 and by 9PM was still good.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #18

Just checked the amp draw on my fridge using my progressive EMS. Fridge is pulling 2 amps after startup. So let’s round up to 3 amps to factor in startup draw. So if it runs non-stop for 10 hours (which it shouldn’t.... it should cycle on and off) that would be 30-ish amp hours or less. That draw, plus the occasional water pump use, DC lights, and maybe the stairs going in and out a few times shouldn’t consume more than 40 ah right? So if I have two 85 ah batteries it should make it overnight plus a lot more. Am I thinking about this right?
Old 06-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
Just checked the amp draw on my fridge using my progressive EMS. Fridge is pulling 2 amps after startup. So let’s round up to 3 amps to factor in startup draw. So if it runs non-stop for 10 hours (which it shouldn’t.... it should cycle on and off) that would be 30-ish amp hours or less. That draw, plus the occasional water pump use, DC lights, and maybe the stairs going in and out a few times shouldn’t consume more than 40 ah right? So if I have two 85 ah batteries it should make it overnight plus a lot more. Am I thinking about this right?
The 3 amps may be at 120volts which would be approx. 360 watts. Divided by 12 volts would be 30 amps from the batteries.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #20

Quote:
The 3 amps may be at 120volts which would be approx. 360 watts. Divided by 12 volts would be 30 amps from the batteries.

So does that mean 1 hour would consume 30 amp hours from the the batts? And is the capacity of two batts 85 ah or 170 ah (75 x2)?

Tags
battery, replacement