Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Bed platform too short

I've got a '14 328TS with a standard size queen bed, and my mattress hangs over the foot of the platform by at least 8 inches. I'm concerned because the mattress is starting to sag at the bottom, and that can't be good for it in the long run. I've tried to pull the platform out, but it's attached via hinges near the head (not sure why, the storage area underneath is not accessible when lifted). Am I missing something here? I know I can add a simple plywood extension myself, but why would FR manufacture a bed that's shorter than the mattress?
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I know we had different types of RV but my Mini lite I had in 2008 was short by 1.5 to 2 ft.... So I am glad I am not the only one to wonder if anyone if half a brain designs these things.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Did you buy new or used? If used someone may have changed mattresses if new add ply wood.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Did you buy new or used? If used someone may have changed mattresses if new add ply wood.
Purchased new; I guess a trip to Lowes is in my future...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #5

Well don't feel bad I had to do the same thing but I changed the mattress to a standard length. I'll bet others have had to do the same thing.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
Purchased new; I guess a trip to Lowes is in my future...
Mine isn't too short but my plywood is cheap thin stuff with rough edges and I may just do an upgrade myself of new wood and few extra inches.
Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
Too old to be too smart

RV Queen mattresses are shorter in length by design, usually by about five inches.

They're not made for tall people, I guess.

If you put a standard Queen mattress in place of an RV Queen, it's going to hang over.

One of the best upgrades we've made was to have an RV custom-size euro-top mattress built for our little trailer. It's about a foot thick, and I sleep very comfortably.

As the sales-gal told my wife, "You're on vacation. You want a great night's sleep!"

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Well don't feel bad I had to do the same thing but I changed the mattress to a standard length. I'll bet others have had to do the same thing.

X2 - swapped it out. Added new plywood.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Canadian Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
RV Queen mattresses are shorter in length by design, usually by about five inches.

They're not made for tall people, I guess.

If you put a standard Queen mattress in place of an RV Queen, it's going to hang over.

One of the best upgrades we've made was to have an RV custom-size euro-top mattress built for our little trailer. It's about a foot thick, and I sleep very comfortably.

As the sales-gal told my wife, "You're on vacation. You want a great night's sleep!"

Pop
We bought our 35 foot Cardinal used and there was the regular mattress on the plywood but the mattress hung over. We exchanged it out for one about a foot thick also and have never looked back (although we had to buy all new bedding to fit lol). The mattress hangs over but we don't mind because at least it allows a taller person to sleep comfortably. Ours is not sagging because it is too long - perhaps that is because of the thickness?
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
2003 Georgetown 325

.I have a GT 3325S. The original mattress was shorter and not as wide. The one on now is a bit longer and wider and over hangs on the sides. Someone added an extension at the end of the platform so the mattress does not sag. The platform hinges at the foot of the bed for storage and access to the fresh water tank. I've been thinking of changing the mattress but so far it is just a thought.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

I had same problem with my "RV King". It was ok for us; but the dog kept rolling off the bottom of the bed because there was no support. I have a 4 inch foam topper on mine(highly recommended); so I just slide a 3-4 foot piece of plywood under the mattress and it worked fine. You could also screw it down or clamp it with construction adhesive. As far as ruining your mattress; if it is an original RV mattress; they are junk anyways ; so I would not worry too much about ruining it.

Before I put the foam topper on mine it was HORRIBLE, no sleep, back aches, etc. Now I sleep better in the RV than at home on my expensive king sized foam mattress.

I ordered mine from Kohl's on-line. It was on sale and I had a 30% discount coupon; so it was very reasonable.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

We bought a 10 inch memory foam mattress from Aldi grocery store for $189 queen size to replace RRV queen mattress luckily for us ours was a full size queen so it did not hang over.
TomnGerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
ARLO

Our Flagstaff 829FKSS is a bit short also, But that is a good thing. The plywood on our HR Savoy came to the end of the mattress and the point stuck out a bit. Said ouch and a few other choice words several times.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
I've got a '14 328TS with a standard size queen bed, and my mattress hangs over the foot of the platform by at least 8 inches. I'm concerned because the mattress is starting to sag at the bottom, and that can't be good for it in the long run. I've tried to pull the platform out, but it's attached via hinges near the head (not sure why, the storage area underneath is not accessible when lifted). Am I missing something here? I know I can add a simple plywood extension myself, but why would FR manufacture a bed that's shorter than the mattress?

We have the same Coach and we have the same issue (mattress hangs over). We did buy it new and upgraded the mattress to a Serta pillow top. Yes, it is a RV mattress and is about 5 inches shorter than a standard mattress.

We've talked about sliding a long piece of plywood under the mattress to make up the difference. Figuring the weight of the mattress should hold it in place.

Will experiment when we get her out of storage.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

We added a piece of plywood to our bed and topped it with 2 regular twin size mattresses, making a somewhat short king size bed. We happened to have 2 spare twins in decent shape so gave it a try, and have been very pleased. The biggest drawback has been giving up the walk-around space, but a small price to pay.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #16

Ours is a short queen & we thought about a longer one & adding support but our bed is on a slide in and the extra length plywood would be into our cabinets with the slide closed. Not a problem for us....but worth checking if you're gonna add to the original base plywood which may have held a shorter queen IF you are on a slide as well.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #17

The manufacturers do that all the time.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #18
New:

My 2015 Georgetown 328ts have the same issue the plywood is not as long as the mattress from the factory, my bed hangs over the ends about 4 to 5 inches. I figure that is to allow the slide to be able to close all the way.
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #19
Appreciative Member

Darren, I had the same problem on our Georgetown 370xl. Our 2 bedroom slides face each other and when closed limited our mattress length. My solution was to go to Lowes and purchase a 4' tall shelving unit with chrome legs that is 12" deep. The 4 leg sections screw together so I assembled as 2 separate sections about 17" tall which is approximately the bed platform height.

When the slides are opened, I put the the 2 sections side-by-side at the end of the bed, then pull the mattress down with about 6" laying on the shelves. The gap at the head of the bed is then filled with extra pillows to bring level with the mattress top, then add your sleeping pillows and you now have added 6" or more to your bed length. Store components and pillows under the bed when slides retracted.

..... sleeping much better now. Pleasant dreams.

BILL.
BWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #20
Appreciative Member

I forgot to mention a huge plus with the shelves added at the foot of the bed to support the "pulled-down" mattress.... they make great racks for numerous pairs of shoes.

BILL
BWAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed