Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
RV Captain

Bedroom Slide Creeps In on Its Own

The hydraulic bedroom slide in my 2008 Georgetown MH has started to slowly move inward on its own until almost fully closed. It is not moving in under any power and takes about 30 minutes to inch fully inward. Does not appear to be leaking hydraulic fluid when I check the fluid tank and motor which is housed on one of the bays. It still opens and closes properly under power but as soon as it is fully open and I release the slide power switch, it starts to slowly close. Any suggestions for a cause and solution?
RV Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Captain View Post
The hydraulic bedroom slide in my 2008 Georgetown MH has started to slowly move inward on its own until almost fully closed. It is not moving in under any power and takes about 30 minutes to inch fully inward. Does not appear to be leaking hydraulic fluid when I check the fluid tank and motor which is housed on one of the bays. It still opens and closes properly under power but as soon as it is fully open and I release the slide power switch, it starts to slowly close. Any suggestions for a cause and solution?
Sounds like you have a solenoid valve seat leaking.. should not be very hard to replace. I think they are attached to the reservoir assy

2013 Georgetown 335 DS
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
RV Captain

[QUOTE=RV Captain;2445801]The hydraulic bedroom slide in my 2008 Georgetown MH has started to slowly move inward on its own until almost fully closed. It is not moving in under any power and takes about 30 minutes to inch fully inward. Does not appear to be leaking hydraulic fluid when I check the fluid tank and motor which is housed on one of the bays. It still opens and closes properly under power but as soon as it is fully open and I release the slide power switch, it starts to slowly close. Any suggestions for a cause and solution?
Old 11-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
RV Captain

Thank you, Triglide. I will check out the solenoid valve once I figure out what that looks like. When I checked out the reservoir and pump I did not see a leak but I may have been looking in the wrong place.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
NXR

It's also possible you have an internal leak in the hydraulic cylinder where fluid is leaking from the "extend" side to the "retract" side.

Our hydraulic jacks need to have their pistons, the part that extends down, have silicone sprayed on them periodically. That helps keep them from rusting and also may keep the internal seals lubricated. Does the manual for your slide system have any periodic maintenance requirements? It might be worth a shot doing them again. (I just went through this with my jacks.)

Do you know who makes your slide system?

Ray
Old 11-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
RV Captain

Retracting Slides

I need to check on the manufacturer of the slides system. There is no visible rails or pistons to lubricate. Some of the hydraulic hoses for this slide are under the bed beneath a wood board that covers the bottom of the lift-up bed storage compartment. I will check these hoses the next time I am at the RV. It's possible they are leaking under the bed..and that would be a mess!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Captain View Post
I need to check on the manufacturer of the slides system. There is no visible rails or pistons to lubricate. Some of the hydraulic hoses for this slide are under the bed beneath a wood board that covers the bottom of the lift-up bed storage compartment. I will check these hoses the next time I am at the RV. It's possible they are leaking under the bed..and that would be a mess!
I'd suspect you would see a change in the hydraulic fluid level in the tank.

Consider doing this: Extend the slide and then immediately put a piece of masking tape on the hydraulic tank to mark the top of the fluid level.

Let the slide do its thing a few times. If it's an external leak you should see a steady gradual drop in the fluid level when the slide is extended for the last time.

If it's an internal leak, I doubt you'll see the hydraulic fluid level change. The fluid leaking from the extend side to the retract side will not make it back to the tank and as soon as you extend the slide, that extra fluid will be used to help extend the slide.

You also could place a piece of masking tape at the level when the slides are fully in and try it that way.

Ray

Tags
bed, bedroom, bedroom slide, roo, slide