Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
drw

Bedroom TV cable verses antenna

i have 2016 Georgetown XL with a Seiki TV in the bedroom. Having an issue get cable channels to work. However if i switch the antenna over to air i get channels fine. I do switch the box to cable and antenna at the front of the unit in the overhead as well as having the booster turned on. All of the other TV work fine on cable or antenna. I thought it might be a loose cable but have tighten cable at TV. Only one cable so if antenna is working then not sure why cable does not work on TV unless TV is bad. ideas.

drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #2

Typically, booster is off for park cable; however, if you have one of these it does not matter if booster is on or off for park cable input. It is strange that over the air antenna is good and cable is not. Evidently you are selecting cable as input on the TV and running a scan. Maybe the TV does have an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCS-3__65204.1492456884.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	232921  

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
NXR

What does "Having an issue get(ting) cable channels to work" mean? Cable finds zero channels when performing a scan? Cable finds channels but they are snowy? Or what?

Does the campground require a cable box to be rented from them? Spectrum/Charter did that to people in our area two years ago. No box = no channels.

Many people do not realize it but cable splitters introduce signal loss. A 1-to-2 splitter cuts the signal strength in half to each TV.

A 1-to-3 splitter is even worse. One of the TV's will have its signal cut in half while the other two will be cut in half again.

So a signal strength of "10" from the antenna or cable will be reduced to "5" for one TV and "2.5" for the other two TV's.

It's actually a bit worse than that, but that's close enough. When you look at a splitter you'll see a "db" number. 3 db cuts the signal in half. 6 db cuts it in half and then in half again. Most triple splitters actually show 3.5 db on one connection and 7.0 db on the other two. (A 1-to-3 splitter actually has a 1-to-2 splitter built into it, which is the reason.)

If you added yet another splitter for any reason, you whacked the signal strength again.

If you have a 1-to-3 splitter but are only using two connections, replacing the splitter with a 1-to-2 unit will double the TV signal strength to one TV.

This actually is one thing I need to look at more closely when we get our rig back. At one park we had very snowy cable TV so the campground brought out a battery-powered TV and hooked it directly to the pedestal. The picture was perfect.

I had a piece of test equipment with me called a spectrum analyzer and I used it to measure the signal loss. We lose a whopping 10 db between the cable TV jack in the basement compartment and the main area TV. 10 db = a loss of 10 times so a signal strength of "10" is reduced to a "1" at the TV.

I don't know if there is a cable fitting problem, qwappy cable used inside the motorhome or what but I aim to find out.

Ray
Old 07-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
drw

thanks for the info. for finding channels the bedroom show zero for cable channels when searching for cable, however for antenna it will find 40 or more channels. thing is this is how the RV was set up with three TVs. Two are Furrion brand TV (living room and outside ) and the bedroom is a Seiki. What makes me think it was changed out? Not sure, the unit was owned by one person but only for one year.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
NXR

If you can get behind one of the TV's and have enough wire, try running the cable TV line directly to one of the TV's and see if it gets channels that way.

Do you have any type of switch box like the one shown above?

And the obligatory question, has cable TV ever worked?

Ray
Old 07-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Alpha Wolf 29DQ-L

Minor Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I had a piece of test equipment with me called a spectrum analyzer and I used it to measure the signal loss. We lose a whopping 10 db between the cable TV jack in the basement compartment and the main area TV. 10 db = a loss of 10 times so a signal strength of "10" is reduced to a "1" at the TV.

Ray
Whoa Nelly! 10 db is a little more than a factor of 8, not 10. 3db is 2x. 10db is 2x2x2 plus a little.

Jeff
Jcrow9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrow9 View Post
Whoa Nelly! 10 db is a little more than a factor of 8, not 10. 3db is 2x. 10db is 2x2x2 plus a little.
No, actually not, because it's a logarithmic measurement scale, not a linear scale.

https://www.flukenetworks.com/knowle...ries/db-vs-dbm

"Every time you double (or halve) the power level, you add (or subtract) 3 dB to the power level. This corresponds to a 50 percent gain or reduction.

10 dB loss corresponds to a tenfold decrease in signal level.

A 20 dB loss corresponds to a hundred-fold decrease in signal level. "

Ray
Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #8

Switched cable.

I may have read this wrong but it sounds to me like there may be a cable hooked wrong. The booster should be off for cable and on for antenna. And 40 stations is a lot for antenna. At least as far as I'm concerned. Or maybe a wrong setting. Just a thought.
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
NXR

We have the KING Jack TV antenna and it has its own booster inside the RV. When you flip that MovieVision switch shown above to Cable the booster is completely out of the circuit.

I agree it may be a cable issue which is why I suggested running the cable TV line directly to a TV and seeing what happens.

We get 55 over-the-air channels at our home in the motorhome but it's only a half-dozen actual stations. Many people do not know there is a difference nowadays. They equate channels to stations like in the good old analog TV days.

Ray
Old 07-05-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

Have a 2020 GT5 31L and experienced similar problems. I have a switch that is meant to select OTA, Park, or on the roof satellite antenna which I do not have. The switch seems to be okay for OTA all three TVs. On Park on get the two TVs, bed is out. If I take Park cable and wire it direct to the tv out of switch all is fine. I feel that switch is knocking signal too much for Park cable setting. Have requested a replacement switch through dealership who refuses to replace it without me driving 400 miles. Switch is about $25. Will work with FR (lots of luck) to replace it.
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, ‘13-14 = 98, ‘15 = 52
‘16 = 77, ‘17 = 81, ‘18 = 44, 19’ = 83, 2020 = 15
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Have a 2020 GT5 31L and experienced similar problems. I have a switch that is meant to select OTA, Park, or on the roof satellite antenna which I do not have. The switch seems to be okay for OTA all three TVs. On Park on get the two TVs, bed is out. If I take Park cable and wire it direct to the tv out of switch all is fine. I feel that switch is knocking signal too much for Park cable setting. Have requested a replacement switch through dealership who refuses to replace it without me driving 400 miles. Switch is about $25. Will work with FR (lots of luck) to replace it.
It's probably not the switch. For example, on our unit the MovieVision switch takes the three inputs (TV, Cable, Satellite) and sends them to a single output jack. That output jack is connected to a three-way splitter. Each TV is wired off one part of the splitter. That should be the way they're all wired.

So the signal strength coming out of the switch box gets split up, with two of the outputs having 1/2 of the signal strength of the third TV.

Do you have a third TV, usually the one on the outside? If not, what is the make and model of the switch box? It's possible the switch box is also the splitter.

Do you know where the splitter is? If you do, I'd put a piece of masking tape on each cable so you know the original positions and try swapping them on the splitter. Alternately, locate the splitter and look at its markings. Connect the bedroom TV cable to the one marked "3.5 db", not a "7.5 db" connection.

The cable lengths really should not be a problem in an area as short as an RV.

https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-vcs-...na-switch-box/

If you still think it's the switch, get an "F" barrel connector (double female) and access the back of the switch. Remove the Output cable and connect it to the barrel. Remove the Cable TV line and connect it to the other end of the barrel. That will bypass the switch with no appreciable signal loss. If it now works, yup, it's the switch. If not, it's something else.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-23203-Exte...93955429&sr=8-

HTH,

Ray
Old 07-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #12

It is NOT a digital tuner

My 2015 364TS had the same brand cheap TV in bedroom. It did not have a digital tuner so it would not work if cable tv signal was digital.
To dumpster it went and replaced with a Samsung.

D.Smith
2015364TS
foretg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:50 AM   #13
drw

thanks for the ideas and i will begin the trouble shooting ideas. Keep them coming as I am willing to try all and see. as for the box, it is the movievision. Do not think it is the box because the others receive the signal. I am now more inclined to believe it is the splitter reducing the signal so much and the brand of the TV is not that good to accept the signal. will let you know.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
NXR

If you have a second cable, run it directly from the bedroom TV to the MovieVision OUTPUT jack, just draping it across the floor, and hook up the other cable normally. That will take the cable from the TV and the splitter out of the picture.

If that works, reconnect the MovieVision, locate the splitter and connect the temporary cable to the splitter. Try each of the three output jacks on the splitter and see if one works better than the others. That will probably be the 3.5db jack.

If that works, hope the other TVs will still work also.

Ray
Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 AM   #15

It's the seiki TV, it does not recieve the parksuppdated digital cable TV signal. The other TVs work don't they. Deal with it or replace TV. Had the same problem in the Fla keys last year and that was the issue.
Ekw4156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #16
drw

thanks, thought it might be the cheap TV. will replace it. Also in the process of installing the flip up TV mounts that you find in the newer Georgetowns. This will allow storage space behind the TV.
finally got the part numbers from FR. Have ordered it and can advise when it arrives if they got the right part numbers.

Tags
antenna, bed, bedroom, cable, roo