Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
Rolling on & on & on

Best 50amp Surge Protector/Best TPMS

We are picking up our new Georgetown 36K7 on August 3rd in Elkhart.
We are going to get a surge protector or EMS for our coach. I am looking for opinions on which is better and which one I should purchase.
Also, we want to get a TPMS for our coach and any advise on this also.
We are going to be first time large motorhome owners, we have had a popup, a TT and a class c in the past.
Any help with these things would be much appreciated.

TIA
KCKC
Jayco C-class
Coleman P/U
KCKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

An EMS is better than a surge protector but you're not comparing apples to apples.
Best is relative to who is giving the advice.

The most often suggested brands are:
Surge protector: Surge Guard or Southwire
EMS: Progressive Industries or Hughes
TPMS: TST

There are lots of previous threads discussing these things.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
There are lots of previous threads discussing these things.
x2
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
x2
What kind of fun would it be to search for this and not start another thread where everybody can argue about which EMS is the best and how a surge protector is not an EMS?

Bruce
Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #5

For my Class A went with
Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector stays locked up in the coach it is hardwired. I am happy with it works for me.

TPMS I went with TST 507 with 6 screw on sensors. I would also advise that you have a good set of Tire Valve Extensions put on your rig by a RV Tire Professional https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-222964.html

Best of luck
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
For my Class A went with
Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector stays locked up in the coach it is hardwired. I am happy with it works for me.

TPMS I went with TST 507 with 6 screw on sensors.
Same here except I have ten TST 507 cap sensors, four of which are for the toad.

If Forest River still just sticks the braided inside rear dual valve stem extender through the hole in the outside tire, entirely unsupported, you need to support the extension if you add the extra weight of a TPMS sensor. If you don't, and some people don't, you run the risk of the weight of the sensor causing the braided extension to rub on the hole in the wheel and causing the flat you're trying to avoid when the extension abrades all the way through.

Mine takes these but they've gone up in price. Still a lot cheaper than a flat, though. I do not use the extension that cones with the support.

https://www.amazon.com/ALCOA-225392-...422388&sr=8-37

Ray
Old 07-27-2021, 07:47 PM   #7

I have the Hughes hardwired EMS. Works great, but the Bluetooth has very short range. Can’t use it in the living area. If I’m 15 feet from the unit it loses signal. It has saved me twice now. Once it shut down due to low voltage on one side of the outlet (bad breaker). The other time it shut down around 2 am when the voltage jumped to 128 because it cooled down and the the voltage demand dropped, so voltage spiked. I reset it and it came back on and sat at 126V and never shut down again.

I’m running the TST cap sensors for the MH and toad. The system works flawlessly.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
NXR

On a more serious note, things change with the years including products and recommendations. "Search" is not the panacea people make it out to be due to stale content.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can search for how many times people have written "search is your friend" or similar.

Ray
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

I initially went with a PI internally hard wire unit. It died and I was screwed for a few days until I got home. Even my Gen went through it. I discovered later how to bypass it, but instead, I purchased an external unit and I have my coach wired to enable it to be between the 50 amp plug in wire and my transfer switch. No need for plastic cover or using a padlock as it is inside my rear compartment.

Check your units carefully, my line 1 and 2 were reversed from the factory. They sent me a replacement and it was backwards to. They must have their assembly drawings backwards or made in China. It doesn't make a big deal, but if you are troubleshooting the readings for line 1 are actually line 2 and 1 for 2. On all of my conversations with PI, they didn't GAS! I believe that they were sold a year or so ago to a bigger company.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

I have this portable surge suppressor listed for sale in the classified section:

https://www.forestriverclassifieds.c...protector-1476
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
What kind of fun would it be to search for this and not start another thread where everybody can argue about which EMS is the best and how a surge protector is not an EMS?

Bruce
Yeah! What he said.

If everyone subscribed to this rule of search first, the Forum would die on the vine and be a big RV WIKIPEDIA.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #12
Rolling on & on & on

Thanks for all the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Yeah! What he said.

If everyone subscribed to this rule of search first, the Forum would die on the vine and be a big RV WIKIPEDIA.
Sorry we didn't search first but our experience with the search function has been that we got a lot of old information and it was hard to wade through all the threads. We really appreciate the help we have gotten on this forum. You all are a fountain of information that can't be duplicated by an RV Wiki!

Keith and Kathryn
Jayco C-class
Coleman P/U
KCKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #13

Progressive's customer service is amazing, I'll just throw that in there.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKC View Post
Sorry we didn't search first but our experience with the search function has been that we got a lot of old information and it was hard to wade through all the threads. We really appreciate the help we have gotten on this forum. You all are a fountain of information that can't be duplicated by an RV Wiki!

Keith and Kathryn
No problem. I do not subscribe to the "search or be ostracized if you don't search rule".

Help or don't help. No reason to bust on someone who asks for help just because they did not dial 411.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if I can search for how many times people have written "search is your friend" or similar.

Ray
Wonder no more!

78 Times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search is your freind.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	259967  
Old 07-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Check your units carefully, my line 1 and 2 were reversed from the factory. They sent me a replacement and it was backwards to. They must have their assembly drawings backwards or made in China. It doesn't make a big deal, but if you are troubleshooting the readings for line 1 are actually line 2 and 1 for 2. On all of my conversations with PI, they didn't GAS! I believe that they were sold a year or so ago to a bigger company.
Sorry, I'm not following. My shore power cord just connected directly to the contactor so there's no wiring inside to cross unless I'm the one who did it. The same with the output cable to the ATS. Or are you talking about the Hall Effect sensors?

One person saw mine and laughed and told me I put the cover on upside down. Yeah, no. The writing was upside down because of the orientation. If I turned the cover 180 degrees then the cover would say INPUT on the wiring that actually was the OUTPUT.

You're correct, it is not a big deal. In fact it's kind of meaningless. Some places define L1 as red and L2 as black while others define L1 as black and L2 as red. Go figure.

Ray
Old 07-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Wonder no more!

78 Times.
It was only 77 until I wrote that.

Ray
Old 07-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #18

It appears that surge protectors don’t do low voltage. I did see one that did but don’t recall which. Theft as seems a big possibility so I have been looking at an EMS hard wired in the trailer. My cord shoves in a hole which looks like it is under the bathroom sink. If so, that would be a great place to mount the EMS as the panel is on the other side of trailer. Inspection is necessary next. The one I was looking at has a separate panel for status.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:37 PM   #19

I am all in for Progressive Industries surge products and TST TPMS. Had the 30 amp and now the 50 amp and love the protection from it. Been with the TST TPMS for about 7 years and recently upgraded to the color monitor with better view and better battery life. Saved our butts a couple times. I like to support https://www.technorv.com/. Those guys are fellow RVers plus have a fixed base warehouse with staff too. Got one or both of my surge devices, by now huge set of TPMS and my Viair 450 from them and some small stuff along the years. I like to Support the little guy especially when they pretty much match Amazon but maybe a few days more for their Free delivery. Some RV YouTubers have a discount link. I just buy direct from them. Nice to be able to talk to people on the phone, in English who know the products really well.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKC View Post
We are picking up our new Georgetown 36K7 on August 3rd in Elkhart.

We are going to get a surge protector or EMS for our coach. I am looking for opinions on which is better and which one I should purchase.

Also, we want to get a TPMS for our coach and any advise on this also.

We are going to be first time large motorhome owners, we have had a popup, a TT and a class c in the past.

Any help with these things would be much appreciated.

TIA

KCKC

TST tire monitoring system is great
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms