Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
Site Team

This whole scenario does have me curious. I'm trying to get my head on this.

I may can understand the converter blowing, and it is hooked to the 120 volt side, but don't see how it could send more than 120 volts to anything else, since that's what it's input is.

I can also understand the surge guard failing, and it letting too much power into the RV, which fried the converter, microwave, etc.

Since it was a motorhome: I'm also wondering if a transfer switch failed, which allowed power at the same time from an inverter and/or generator, and shore power when it came back on after the power outage.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Turbs, I'm with ya on this one. I plan the install as soon as we catch a good break in the weather.

Progressive Industries
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Turbs, I'm with ya on this one. I plan the install as soon as we catch a good break in the weather.

Progressive Industries
Easy to install, easy to use, lifetime warranty.

Pm sent.

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI

Surge Guard Products Warranty
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
One year.........

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #26

If the Georgetown was hooked up to the 50 amps supply (120/240 volts) and if the converter was the actual culprit in damaging the other appliances, the only way it could happen as far as I'm concerned, would have been a dead short from the live 120 v supply (L1) in the converter to neutral raising the neutral to 120 volts and actually putting 240 volts across the other appliances which are hooked up to the other leg of the supply (L2). Main circuit breakers should trip, but for that instant that it happens, 240 volts could be present......this is a long shot....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I dont think this is possible.

By the way spend the money and buy a hardwired progressive industries ems surge.
Progressive Industries

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
I purchased a SSP-30 because of the recommendations from this board. Hope I never need it, dang glad I have it!
CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #28

Another vote for the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50C. The one I installed has detected and prevented problems several times. I would not hook-up without one.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #29

Just getting ready to purchase a surge protector also. Was somewhat on the fence as to which one to purchase but will definitely go with Progressive now.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #30

It is important to note that Progressive Industries make several different products. Among them is the SSP line of surge protectors, and the EMS line. The main difference between the two products is that the SSP models are plugged in at the post, and have test indicators for reverse and open wiring, as well as surge protection.

The EMS products can be plugged in at the post or hardwired inside the RV. In addition to everything the SSP models do, they also test and monitor for high and low voltage, frequency, and protect the air conditioning compressor with a two minute time delay when power is restored. The EMS models have a big internal relay that you can hear connect power to the RV after the device has completed its tests and determined that the power is okay. It will also continue monitoring the power and disconnect using the relay if conditions later change.

At the RV park we are staying at now, when we first hooked-up everything seemed fine. After a couple hours with appliances running, the EMS-LCHW50C shut off the power and gave a low voltage error message. The campground electrician was called and determined that their outlet had internal corrosion. Without the Progressive EMS, we never would known about the damaging low voltage.

There is a lot more than just power surges that can cause problems, so you may wish to consider spending the extra $$$ for the EMS model. It's cheap insurance.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
If the Georgetown was hooked up to the 50 amps supply (120/240 volts) and if the converter was the actual culprit in damaging the other appliances, the only way it could happen as far as I'm concerned, would have been a dead short from the live 120 v supply (L1) in the converter to neutral raising the neutral to 120 volts and actually putting 240 volts across the other appliances which are hooked up to the other leg of the supply (L2). Main circuit breakers should trip, but for that instant that it happens, 240 volts could be present......this is a long shot....
I am with The Fonze here. Sounds like a fried/disconnected/loose Neutral in the Power Center (not the converter which is "part" of the power center).

With no neutral to keep the voltage in the camper at 120 volts, the appliances would "see" 220 volts.

The only question I have is where this neutral loss happened.

If it was at the campground pedestal, the surge guard is designed to stop this.

If it was inside the motor home, it had to be unrelated to the campground and not their fault. Did others at the campground experience power issues?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical