Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush Connection

Good Afternoon,
I hope I save some searching for someone. We were leaving our campsite the other day on our shake down cruise. After grey empty followed by black empty, I hooked up the maintenance hose to the black tank flush connection in the plumbing bay at the back of the coach. When I turned on the water to flush the black tank, there was a slight feeling of flow and then nothing at all and water (clear) was leaking out of the screw in hose connection. I shut the water off and unscrewed the hose. It became clear that black tank flush line had been pressurized because water (clean/clear) came flowing rapidly out of the hose connection. I tried it again with the same result at least three times and got wetter and wetter each time, again from clear/clean water as the water in the line came back at me with pressure after I unscrewed the hose. I assumed that there must be a shut off valve to turn on behind the hose connection but you can not see a lot behind the panel and I could not see one. I also thought about a one way check valve and did some research. I learned that there is in fact a one way check valve in the flush line and started to search for it behind the panel and under the shower which is above that bay. I was unable to find it. After reading that someone found a check valve under their sink above the service bay, it did not make a lot of sense to me since we have a shower above the service bay (driver side). We do however have a sink on the other side of coach (pass side) and on the off chance that they might have placed it there, I looked under and behind the drain for the sink over there. Lo and behold, there was a small black one way check valve attached to two unmarked lines that came from beneath the floor in addition to the expected hot and cold sink lines. Mind you, this is on the far side of the coach well away from the service bay. The check valve was marked with a one way flow arrow. I pulled the check valve, unscrewed it actually, and applied a very low pressure flow of air at the tank flush connection and was able to determine which line was the in to the valve and which was the out. Well folks, some one was having a bad day because they managed to put the check valve in the wrong direction when they built it as the flow was opposite the flow arrow on the valve as installed. I simply put the valve back in the line in the correct direction and the problem was corrected. There is now flow to the black tank from the flush line connection. If you have this issue, it only took about 10 mins to fix once I found the valve and did a flow directional check.
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ RVi3 Brake Control
centurion493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

This forum is rampant with the issue you had and of course others that are referenced to the factory installed black tank cleanout. Glad you conquered it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing... although why the check valve would be there and not at the intake puzzles me.

As for your procedure.... You're supposed to empty your black water first, then with the dump valve still open, use the black water flush. The last thing you should do is empty the grey water tank.

Other than that, it sounds like you had a good shakedown. Welcome.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Thanks for sharing... although why the check valve would be there and not at the intake puzzles me.

As for your procedure.... You're supposed to empty your black water first, then with the dump valve still open, use the black water flush. The last thing you should do is empty the grey water tank.

Other than that, it sounds like you had a good shakedown. Welcome.
It's not just a check valve, it's a vacuum breaker and code requires it to be above the rim of your toilet (as I understand it).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

The black tank back-flow preventer/anti-siphon valve/check valve/vacuum breaker has to be installed at least 6" above the rim of your toilet. You should have received a sheet such as this in your documentation packet. Yes, they sometimes do get installed backwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank cleanout1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	233210  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

Thanks all. Yeah, I wrote that in the wrong order....it was black then grey and then black flush with black dump valve open that I was trying to accomplish..... Yes, it was through searching this forum in other areas that led me to the check valve/vacuum break valve. I only posted it here in case someone in the hopes that it would save someone in Georgetown group some time and effort.....And lastly, the valve/breaker, although in what I think is an unusual location, is above the rim level of the toilet (on the other side of the room) and that sheet was missing from my telephone sized packet so I am glad to have it now. Thanks again all. I am truly grateful for the willingness of everyone to help others on this site. It is nice to see and experience!
Old 07-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion493 View Post
Thanks all. Yeah, I wrote that in the wrong order....it was black then grey and then black flush with black dump valve open that I was trying to accomplish..... Yes, it was through searching this forum in other areas that led me to the check valve/vacuum break valve. I only posted it here in case someone in the hopes that it would save someone in Georgetown group some time and effort.....And lastly, the valve/breaker, although in what I think is an unusual location, is above the rim level of the toilet (on the other side of the room) and that sheet was missing from my telephone sized packet so I am glad to have it now. Thanks again all. I am truly grateful for the willingness of everyone to help others on this site. It is nice to see and experience!
Most people recommend black tank, black tank flush then gray dump so that the last water through the hose is NOT from the black tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #8

I see you're in So California so this may not apply...but if you ever winterize make sure to blow out the black tank flush line. Water collects on top of the valve and freezes and cracks the housing. As you( and I) know it's not easy to get to.
Is this your first experience of Elkhart"quality"??
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:25 PM   #9

black tank flush

Thanks for the tip but yeah, So Cal in Orange County so no real danger in ref to freezing although, last year, in our previous MH which we had for many years, while on a cross country trip in March we got caught in sub zero temps in Neb. Learned about the need to drain the water supply pipes at the low points under the coach in freezing temp situations the hard way.....Re Forest River builds, yes first time with it. We came from a satisfying experience in a Fleetwood Southwind product. So far, pretty good experience with the FR. Nothing is perfect even in cars/trucks out of the gate and much is about learning new systems and latest tech. It is really all about being able to fix the small to moderate stuff and leaving the big stuff for the warranty. As had been said before, basic mechanical skills is a good thing to have if you are going to own a MH of any age. Thus far, we are pleased with the quality of the build of the Georgetown. A little frustrating trying to figure the wiring, circuits and plumbing design but overall without diagrams, we are happy with it. We are very thankful of the kind souls on this forum willing to share their wealth of knowledge and information.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #10

FYI our black flush one-way valve is behind the drawers and pantry to the aft of the refrigerator (driver side). 2010 Georgetown 350TS. I know this because when using it for the first time (we just bought used in March) I discovered it apparently had been frozen/broken - with the subsequent waterfall down the entry stairs and the whole nine yards.

Been replaced now and flowing clean!
Old 07-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #11

Wink Joys Of Trailering

Every spring something falls off or loosens up. I pity those who are not mechanically inclined. I couldn't afford this toy if I had to constantly go to the dealer.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
Every spring something falls off or loosens up. I pity those who are not mechanically inclined. I couldn't afford this toy if I had to constantly go to the dealer.

In absolute agreement. RVs are an adventure in DIY!

I my years of car and home ownership. I found I would rather do it myself. When I take it to a pro..... half the time it's done wrong or I am overcharged.

My batting average is much better and I almost never overcharge myself haha.

Have fun all.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #13

100% agree with you armyveteran..you do have to be handy or have a big bank account to hire someone to fix......

Army veteran here too
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
In absolute agreement. RVs are an adventure in DIY!

I my years of car and home ownership. I found I would rather do it myself. When I take it to a pro..... half the time it's done wrong or I am overcharged.

My batting average is much better and I almost never overcharge myself haha.

Have fun all.
Sure you have, if you didn't buy that new car, truck, rv or toy, you wouldn't be paying for or enjoying it. You just never thought to look at it that way.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanj56 View Post
100% agree with you armyveteran..you do have to be handy or have a big bank account to hire someone to fix......

Army veteran here too

Thank you for your Service!

RV there yet:-)
Old 07-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Sure you have, if you didn't buy that new car, truck, rv or toy, you wouldn't be paying for or enjoying it. You just never thought to look at it that way.

Ahh sorry for being obtuse. What is your point?
Old 07-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Ahh sorry for being obtuse. What is your point?
My point is you overpaid yourself when you bought it. Then your paying again when you fix it even when you are doing the repairs. I meant it as a joke.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #18

Quote:
My point is you overpaid yourself when you bought it. Then your paying again when you fix it even when you are doing the repairs. I meant it as a joke.

Okì dokie.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #19
Brake is on left

Quote:
The black tank back-flow preventer/anti-siphon valve/check valve/vacuum breaker has to be installed at least 6" above the rim of your toilet. You should have received a sheet such as this in your documentation packet. Yes, they sometimes do get installed backwards.
I saw this and then went and looked. Ours (dealer installed) has an in-line spring loaded check valve Only. It is located about 18” away from the tank wall. The entire line is under the TT from hose connection to tank wall. Guessing they did not care.
I don’t trust checks in TTs so I always use a shut off valve on the hose end at the TT connection.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank