Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush inlet

So when I connect up a hose to the black tank flush, then turned on the water, then fill the tank, then turned off the water and then finally I flush the tank. Why, when I unscrew the hose off the black tank flush inlet why does all this clean water drain out. Every time, why? Thank You.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #2

Black Tank Flush inlet

There is a back flow preventer on the connection so black tank content can’t flow back into the water system. To help reduce the spray back in your wet bay disconnect the hose from the faucet first.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
There is a back flow preventer on the connection so black tank content can’t flow back into the water system. To help reduce the spray back in your wet bay disconnect the hose from the faucet first.

Genius, I never thought about it. Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
So when I connect up a hose to the black tank flush, then turned on the water, then fill the tank, then turned off the water and then finally I flush the tank. Why, when I unscrew the hose off the black tank flush inlet why does all this clean water drain out. Every time, why? Thank You.
You are supposed to OPEN the sewer valve BEFORE you use the black tank flush. Otherwise, you run the risk of having the black tank contents come out in unexpected places.

The process....First, You should fill up the black water tank using the toilet to flush out as much as you can. Open the sewer dump and let the black water drain. Keep the sewer valve open.
Then connect the black water flush and turn on the water for a few minutes to flush the tank. Turn off the water and disconnect hose. A clear elbow will show you when the water runs clear and has drained.

Then drain the grey water and close the valve.

Hopefully, that will solve your problem.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You are supposed to OPEN the sewer valve BEFORE you use the black tank flush. Otherwise, you run the risk of having the black tank contents come out in unexpected places.

The process....First, You should fill up the black water tank using the toilet to flush out as much as you can. Open the sewer dump and let the black water drain. Keep the sewer valve open.

Then connect the black water flush and turn on the water for a few minutes to flush the tank. Turn off the water and disconnect hose. A clear elbow will show you when the water runs clear and has drained.

Then drain the grey water and close the valve.

Hopefully, that will solve your problem.

Good morning that’s pretty much exactly what we do. I don’t fill the tank totally when I’m using the flush. I do it a couple times till I see the water come clear through our clear elbow. I was more curious why the Clearwater would come out. But I think I’ve got that figured out. Thank you so much
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Good morning that’s pretty much exactly what we do. I don’t fill the tank totally when I’m using the flush.
Yup. jtaylor1920 had the best explanation. I do that but didn't think of it.

I was most concerned when you said that you fill the tank. They advise against that.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I run the tank flush while the black tank is draining...

Helps the sludge run out by creating a flow.

I also use the gray tank water to back flush into the black tank to help remove blockage and sludge.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I run the tank flush while the black tank is draining...

Helps the sludge run out by creating a flow.

I also use the gray tank water to back flush into the black tank to help remove blockage and sludge.

Good morning I was curious how do you drain your gray tank into your black tank. I flush the gray tank through the waste line after I flush the black to clean out those lines . But I didn’t know you could somehow flush your gray tank into the black tank.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

You don't drain the grey into the black. You drain the black first through the hose, and the the Grey tank through the hose to flush the hose.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egalt View Post
You don't drain the grey into the black. You drain the black first through the hose, and the the Grey tank through the hose to flush the hose.

Exactly, I had never heard of draining the gray back into the black. That was new to me.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #11

This is how the gray water flush works. it takes a third valve at the outlet of the sewer pipe.

1. Drain black tank
2. Close black tank valve
3. Close sewer outlet valve
4. Open gray tank valve. Water will not go to sewer because the third valve is closed
5. Open black tank valve and allow gray water to back fill the black tank
6. Close gray tank valve
7. Open sewer outlet valve
8. Repeat as necessary

This saves many gallons of fresh water and works as well as using the black tank flush and a hose. We're full timers and I've been using this method for years. About once every 3 months, I'll actually use the black tank flush but the tank is already pretty clean. Hope this helps.
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips52 View Post
This is how the gray water flush works. it takes a third valve at the outlet of the sewer pipe.

1. Drain black tank
2. Close black tank valve
3. Close sewer outlet valve
4. Open gray tank valve. Water will not go to sewer because the third valve is closed
5. Open black tank valve and allow gray water to back fill the black tank
6. Close gray tank valve
7. Open sewer outlet valve
8. Repeat as necessary

This saves many gallons of fresh water and works as well as using the black tank flush and a hose. We're full timers and I've been using this method for years. About once every 3 months, I'll actually use the black tank flush but the tank is already pretty clean. Hope this helps.
Yep! Works great

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Exactly, I had never heard of draining the gray back into the black. That was new to me.
I can see where that would work to some extent. If you were using a flush king, emptied the black first, closed the flush king and opened the gray, the gray water would flow back into the black until the levels were equal. It would be interesting to see the effect if there is any
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I can see where that would work to some extent. If you were using a flush king, emptied the black first, closed the flush king and opened the gray, the gray water would flow back into the black until the levels were equal. It would be interesting to see the effect if there is any

Yes, it does work. Our black tank is mounted behind the bathroom gray tank while the kitchen gray tank is mounted about a foot higher in the upper part of the frame. I installed a blade valve near the hose hook up since we have a Wastemaster, a twist on valve on the end of the drain pipe works for most other setups. Drain the black tank first, next close the twist on valve then drain the gray tank(s) into the black tank, this relatively high flow of soapy, warm water creates enough commotion in the black tank to loosen particles from the bottom and sides that will get flushed out when you drain the black tank again, just close the gray tank first. I do this quite often when all tanks are full at the same time and find this method works as good or better than triple flushing the black tank with fresh water. Hey, and you'll never have to worry about stuff raining down from the roof
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you don't have one of these on your tank drain valves...you should (see photo below).

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-on-valve

All it takes is one brown shoe shower from a leaky dump valve and you will never own another RV without one!

Anyway, as explained above by others, once you drain the black tank (I run the built-in flush at the same time), I then close this twist-on valve and then pull the gray open and put my hand on the black pipe just before the drain valve and I can feel the water bubbling back into the black tank.

Once the bubbling stops, I then close the gray valve, open the twist-on valve, then let the black tank drain.

I do this four or five times or until I see mostly clear water coming out, then I finish cleaning the black tank the normal way.

Then drain and clean the gray tank normally as well.

If I just use the built-in black tank flush and clean until the water is running clear...this backflush method from the gray tank always makes the water look like I never even ran the built-in flush yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	183939  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #16

I have a Camco Dual Flush Pro for my setup.
I can also force feed my campground hose into this and get clean water into black water tank also quickly.
Haven't had to use it yet but I do have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	183960  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank