Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Most people on this forum (including myself) know Iggy is a wealth of information.... in words and photos.

Heck.... He's forgotten more than most of us will learn. ;-)
Now the above comment is funny.
Thanks all for coming to my defense but it's not necessary.

I have been helping jerry a lot since he just bought his 1st motorhome and he does have many questions as a newbie.
I may have sounded off but it was not intentional.
My skin has thickened over time and it doesn't bother me what other people say before they really know me.
Move on and thanks.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #22

Geo Method. I'm using it this year and my sensors are working normally again. Once again, water is your friend in the black tank. Search "geo method" and use it. You won't be sorry. Happy Camping Jerry.
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #23

Here is a article on the geo method: RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method – Wheeling It
Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #24

Here is what the GEO Method is.

The GEO method ingredients
The GEO method is a home-made cleaning technique that’s been around in the RV community since (at least) the early 80’s. Where the name came from no-body seems to know, but the original method is HERE. The original formula uses chlorine, but that can ruin your valves so these days most RVers use a slightly modified method with just 2 common items, both of which you can get at any big department store:
  • Calgon Water Softener -> This stuff helps to break down water surface tension, clean scum and prevent hard mineral deposits. I’ve used Borax on occasion when I can’t find Calgon and find it works just as well.
  • Dawn Dishwasher Detergent -> The “original formula” blue detergent is excellent at cutting grime. Laundry detergent works too.
After you dump pour 1 cup of Calgon and 1 cup detergent into the tanks. Leave them in until your next dump. Before driving some RVers will also throw a bag of ice-cubes down the tank to “scour” their walls (we’ve never done this, but others swear by it).
And that’s really it! We don’t use the GEO method each time we dump, but just whenever our sensors need an extra cleaning. Either way it’s a simple, easy and environmentally-friendly method to keep sensors mostly clean. And in a moving house on wheels that’s really as good as it gets.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #25

On our last trip out, the black tank was not flushing with the hose attachment after I had emptied it. No water was coming out despite good pressure. Finally I released the gray water and there it was. Never thought about it. After that it flushed fine. That was a lesson I learned from my MH.

But in your case, I agree with everyone, never leave the black tank open.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #26

We've been using just a cup of laundry detergent in the tanks for years to help the sensors with good results. Will try the water softener for better.
KennHC130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #27

I dump pine Sol into the tanks with them half full of water. I travel to our next destination and dump the tanks when they are full after a few days of camping. I flush tanks 3 times and sensor's are clean and operational again.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank