Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

Black tank seems blocked

I haven't had this happen before but I can't seem to get the black tank completely drained. I go out to drain the tanks and I listen for the water to stop flowing, then drain the gray as usual. But then when I go back into the RV and open the valve to the black tank to look inside, I see water and toilet paper still in there. I have changed toilet papers but what I bought was Scott brand that says "RV safe" and "Septic safe" on it.

I even tried using the flush system and it seemed to help a little but didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas???
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Knower of Some Things

Tissue digester & fill that tank FULL to the bottom of the toilet. Let it sit for a few days or take it for a ride, whatever. There won't be any room for ice, so don't bother with that trick. Just let the chemical work for a day or two (or more), and the full to the brim tank will put some pressure against the blockage. This works for me 90% of the time. The other 10% I end up junking a shop vac. I won't get into details with that one.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Try dumping a 5 gallon bucket of water straight down the toilet and see if you can wash it free.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What is the problem? Is the drain blocked, as in no drainage, or is it not draining completely? If you hear water running, the drain is not blocked completely. Are you dumping a FULL or almost full tank? The black tank will not drain properly when less than half full, or when the trailer is very unlevel. Level the trailer, or tilt it drain side slightly down. Fill the black tank over 1/2full of water, let sit for an hour, then drain. See if this won't work. If it doesn't report back for further instruction.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I always seemed to have an inch or 2 of black water left in my tank after dumping. I even tried tilting the camper towards the dump valve. But only after I pulled back the trailer bottom cover did I discover what I needed to do. The pipe from my black tank comes out the middle of the back side. Now when I want to completely dump the tank (winterization), I pull the truck up on blocks making the camper tongue high, and try to get it as level as possible side to side....that seems to completely empty my tank. Other than for winterization emptying, I am not worried about getting the tank completely empty every time......I figure a little sloshing around with help digest any remaining solids and TP.

My gray tank has the valve comping out the front curb side. So to empty that tank, I need to get the camper tongue low and street side high.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
I haven't had this happen before but I can't seem to get the black tank completely drained. I go out to drain the tanks and I listen for the water to stop flowing, then drain the gray as usual. But then when I go back into the RV and open the valve to the black tank to look inside, I see water and toilet paper still in there. I have changed toilet papers but what I bought was Scott brand that says "RV safe" and "Septic safe" on it.

I even tried using the flush system and it seemed to help a little but didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas???
I didn't see any mention of chemicals to breakdown the solids. The TP will dissolve eventually but the rest of the waste may be what is creating the problem. Any possibility of something getting flushed that wasn't supposed to go in there, toy soldier (poor guy) or something else. I'd dump some chemicals in along with almost a full tank of water, let it sit over-night and then take it for a ride. Hopefully any remaining blockage should dissolve.
I have seen on another posting where someone found the plastic slug that was drilled out for the vent. At the factory it fell inside the tank and it lodged at the opening causing the tank to never empty completely. You may need a light and a mirror once you drain the tank to try to see if this is your problem as well. Good luck!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Try dumping a 5 gallon bucket of water straight down the toilet and see if you can wash it free.
I did fix this problem. I grabbed a pot of hot water and poured it straight down the toilet with the valve open. The weight of the water pushed the paper and waste down into the tank. I did put more chemicals into the tank too to help eat up the paper.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ilies/cool.gif
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Site Team

I know many of you are going to go "eeeewwwwwww" but
we don't toss toilet paper down the potty.
Years of houseboating with marine toilets have trained us to use
the wastebasket. It ain't no big deal to roll it clean side out and toss
in the wastebasket lined with the ubiquitous WalMart bags.
It's just one less thing to worry about.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #9

"eeeewwwwwww".... you predicted the response!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank