Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #1

Blackstone 17” and Quick Connect Connector

We bought a quick connect gas hose and an elbow fitting to attach to our Blackstone 17”. We can only get a low flame on the griddle in this configuration. We’ve tried turning off the gas on the RV to reset the regulator. Same result. Does anyone have a suggestion we can try before we purchase another adapter kit from Blackstone directly? The current kit we have was purchased off of Amazon. Thanks.
sinirgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

Pictures would be helpful.

I’m assuming your RV quick connect is regulated after the tank and your black stone has a regulator, so you have two regulators feeding your black stone. Just a guess not knowing all the details.

I have a adapter going from my main tank to a hose then connected to the regulator of the black stone.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #3

Are you saying there are two regulators before the quick connect on the side of the RV? If so, then maybe I need to find the one closest to the one on the side of the RV and reset that one. No regulator on the Blackstone side. The hose goes directly from the RV quick connect to an elbow connector attached directly to the Blackstone.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinirgi View Post
Are you saying there are two regulators before the quick connect on the side of the RV? If so, then maybe I need to find the one closest to the one on the side of the RV and reset that one. No regulator on the Blackstone side. The hose goes directly from the RV quick connect to an elbow connector attached directly to the Blackstone.

Your RV should have one regulator to control the quick connect , if you delete the black stone regulator than it’s just one.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #5

So isn’t that the suggested configuration for Blackstone? One regulator on the main tank, and the rest is all hose plus the elbow?
Old 10-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
So isn’t that the suggested configuration for Blackstone? One regulator on the main tank, and the rest is all hose plus the elbow?

Yes one regulator only, the blackstone requires a .5 PSI regulator, check your Rv regulator to see if it’s lower than .5
Old 10-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #7

10-4. I guess there’s no way around it without measuring the gas output at this time. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:57 AM   #8

Blackstone 17” and Quick Connect Connector

Quote:
10-4. I guess there’s no way around it without measuring the gas output at this time. Thank you.

Take away the elbow. I use the hose that has the blackstone fitting on the end straight from quick connect. I have good flame. You may also reference your owners manual. I believe there is a way to adjust your flame settings just like on a grill.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6495.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	279940 this is one that I use
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

Thank you. I’ll try and remove the elbow. I’ll update another day.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #10
NXR

This works great with our 22" Blackstone: https://propanegear.com/blackstone-1...ct-12-ft-hose/

Note that some people have bought Amazon hoses and the end that connects to the motorhome was the incorrect size.

You do have the little lever on the propane connection on the motorhome turned all the way, so the lever is inline with the hose, right?

Ray
Old 10-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #11
Part-Time Campground Host

Here's another option for the hose with fitting. It's 24 ft and we do like the elbow. Works great on our 22" Blackstone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KZNKKBV...t_details&th=1

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #12

Yeah. I get flame on the Blackstone. Although, the flame is too low. Valve is open on the RV for the quick connect.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #13

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Yes one regulator only, the blackstone requires a .5 PSI regulator, check your Rv regulator to see if it’s lower than .5
The typical RV pressure out of the regulator is 11-14" w.c. which is about 0.5 psi. If the furnace is operating properly, pressure is likely okay.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #14

I’ve had 4 regulators fail on my Coleman stoves in the past few years and now I’m finding comments on line about Black stone having regulators fail. It looks like they get there regulators from the same company “ China”.

Also try shutting down all your propane appliances in your Rv and turning on the main valve slowly after a few minutes. In many cases this will reset the safety on the tank valve and allow propane to flow a full capacity.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:11 AM   #15

Some suggest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Also try shutting down all your propane appliances in your Rv and turning on the main valve slowly after a few minutes. In many cases this will reset the safety on the tank valve and allow propane to flow a full capacity.
Some suggest making this a four-step process:
  • Close valve(s) on propane tank(s).
  • Open valve on one appliance to remove pressure from the downstream side.
  • Close valve on appliance
  • Open tank valve slowly

Regulators have a very thin metal plate inside, called the diaphragm. It flexes dependent on the difference between gas pressure and external air pressure. As it flexes, it actuates a needle valve which performs the regulation function. It's a fact of life that pinholes form in the diaphragm disabling the regulation function. Sometimes they are so small you can't even smell the tiny bit of propane that leaks through. Because the diaphragm is so thin, a tiny bit of corrosion on one side will rapidly progress through to the other side.

This is not limited to propane regulators. I've had the same failure mode occur on water-pressure regulators in our sticks-bricks home. City water pressure here is 140 psi--when regulator failure begins, the toilet ballcocks don't shut off completely. If I don't replace the regulator promptly, the Over-temp/Over-pressure valve on the water heater trips. That gets my attention promptly.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
We bought a quick connect gas hose and an elbow fitting to attach to our Blackstone 17”. We can only get a low flame on the griddle in this configuration. We’ve tried turning off the gas on the RV to reset the regulator. Same result. Does anyone have a suggestion we can try before we purchase another adapter kit from Blackstone directly? The current kit we have was purchased off of Amazon. Thanks.
Interesting and possibly your kit has something wrong with it.
I too bought an elbow from Amazon (already had the hose for my fire pit) and my 17" Blackstone works perfectly off the low pressure quick connect.

This is the ell I bought...
DOZYANT 1/4 inch RV Quick Connect Adapter Conversion Fitting Elbow for Blackstone Tabletop Grill - 17 Inch and 22 Inch Portable Gas Griddle

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #17

I bought that same kit off Amazon and it works perfect. The regulator is in the tube that threads init the Blackstone. So with this kit it removes that regulator. Either you’ve got a bad valve or a low psi regulator on the MH.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Have you tried anything else on the low pressure quick connect?
Maybe the supply line is kinked or pinched somewhere and there's nothing at all wrong with your Blackstone or the quick-connect kit you purchased.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black