Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Brake replacement shops TX , FL suggestions?

I recently checked brake pad thickness on my 378 in advance of trip to SW US and Florida. It's currently between 1/4 (.250) and 3/16 ( .1875) which is above the .133 minimum thickness in a Ford Service manual I bought.
That said I will be watching things and if it reaches minimum during trip I'll get them replaced. There will be periods were I will have extended stays in San Antonio and Galveston,TX, Orlando, Ft Meyers and Okeechobee Fl. to do this.
Can anyone out there reccomend shops in those areas?
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
I recently checked brake pad thickness on my 378 in advance of trip to SW US and Florida. It's currently between 1/4 (.250) and 3/16 ( .1875) which is above the .133 minimum thickness in a Ford Service manual I bought.
That said I will be watching things and if it reaches minimum during trip I'll get them replaced. There will be periods were I will have extended stays in San Antonio and Galveston,TX, Orlando, Ft Meyers and Okeechobee Fl. to do this.
Can anyone out there reccomend shops in those areas?
If it were mine I'd give strong consideration to having a Ford Dealership do the work. If traveling and you have any issues your "repair warranty" will be more useful as there are Ford Dealerships all over. You get the repair and the dealerships talk to each other about to arrange payment. Ford then steps in if there are disputes.

Another reason I like to use dealerships is that over the years there have been so many "Campaigns" issued, where faulty or inadequate parts are identified but don't rise to the level of "Recall", if the repairing shop sees any of these "Open" in the Ford database, you'll probably get those fixed at the same time. I've even had this kind of work done when I go in for an Oil Change and pre-trip checkup.

FWIW, "Brake Jobs" at dealerships are considered "Menu Items" and are often competitive with the outside market, excluding the "Low-Ballers" that advertise low prices but end up selling you everything else, sometimes including a new rubber cover for the brake pedal

Also in my experience the OEM brake pads/linings used by Dealers often produce the longest lasting and trouble free performance.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

Have to agree with TitanMike, especially on an F53. My understanding is your looking at about $2000 or so, depending. Good luck
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

I'd certainly look at a Ford Dealership . Trouble is ( at least where I live) most are non commercial shops ( cars ,light trucks only) Hard to distinguish .
If anyone familiar with the cities I mentioned can advise a commercial Ford shop I'd appreciate hearing about them too
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

I'm having my brakes done on my 2012 as I write.
I use my local Ford Commercial Truck repair shop as I agree that only FORD will do a full inspection and repair properly.

You can use this link to find a Ford Commercial Truck repair by entering the City you are at in Texas or where've you are located.
https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/

After you select the City and State you can filter the search more by selecting Class A in the FILTER pull-down at the top to eliminate just car maintenance.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

I have had my RV serviced several times at The BRAKE COMPANY in Boerne TX (North of San Antonio off of I10). They service the brakes on all types of trucks and trailers. Have had real good service from them. Safe travels.
Gary Dup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 AM   #7

If you need them done while in Galveston, this shop in Houston is just north of you.

https://www.snelsonservices.com/

ANY shop which keeps heavy trucks and equipment maintained can certainly do so for an RV, and these people do BOTH!
Old 10-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

In San Antonio, Grande Ford. Located on east side, IH10 and WW White.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement