Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
Happy Camper

Talking Break in 2500 mile trip in new 328.... My findings

So we picked up a new 328, 2 months ago and were finally able to take it for our first trip. The unit came with 1000 miles from delivery so I had the oil changed before we left. Trip was from Maryland to the Orlando and West Palm Beach area and back.

Were on the road 10 days, of that 3 days we spent in a full hookup campground, the rest we slept in Walmarts or Rest Areas on I95 or I4. No issues to speak of, but the brake light did come on in heavy DC traffic but went away after I cycled the engine later. Maybe they got overheated?

Special note while parked and with no connections. We were on the House battery life with full size household fridge. I shut the Generator off at noon on Saturday and was gone from the unit the rest of the day, we got back to the RV at about 10pm, the battery was showing at 2/3 still. Impressed at the life left on the control panel, the wife and I put on the fantastic fan (roof) and opened 2 windows and went to sleep.

Woke up at 7am, and the battery now indicated 1/3 STILL, 19 hours later. Fridge was still on and showing good temperatures. I was quite impressed.

I averaged about 7-7.5 mpg. I was cruising mostly at 65-68 mph
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #2

Good to hear all went well with your first road trip. Hope all you trips go as well. Welcome to the Georgetown Family.��
JW DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSled View Post
So we picked up a new 328, 2 months ago and were finally able to take it for our first trip. The unit came with 1000 miles from delivery so I had the oil changed before we left. Trip was from Maryland to the Orlando and West Palm Beach area and back.

Were on the road 10 days, of that 3 days we spent in a full hookup campground, the rest we slept in Walmarts or Rest Areas on I95 or I4. No issues to speak of, but the brake light did come on in heavy DC traffic but went away after I cycled the engine later. Maybe they got overheated?

Special note while parked and with no connections. We were on the House battery life with full size household fridge. I shut the Generator off at noon on Saturday and was gone from the unit the rest of the day, we got back to the RV at about 10pm, the battery was showing at 2/3 still. Impressed at the life left on the control panel, the wife and I put on the fantastic fan (roof) and opened 2 windows and went to sleep.

Woke up at 7am, and the battery now indicated 1/3 STILL, 19 hours later. Fridge was still on and showing good temperatures. I was quite impressed.

I averaged about 7-7.5 mpg. I was cruising mostly at 65-68 mph

Newbie here.

Based on floor plan, we are looking also on buying the same model as yours. How much is the carrying capacity of your unit? It will give us some ballpark number on how much we could carry on that unit. We are planning to full-time RV by next year.

Did you make any modification on your unit? Where did you purchase the MH? What are other costs associated with the purchase of the unit aside from the unit itself? And how much? Did you buy an extended warranty? If yes, how much and to whom. How much did you pay for insurance and from which provider?

Basically, I am trying to figure out how much money I need to purchase one of those and maintain it.

You mentioned that you did an oil change recently, how much did it cost you for the oil change?

I may have more questions, but limit a few for now.

Thanks...
weighman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #4
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighman View Post
Newbie here.

Based on floor plan, we are looking also on buying the same model as yours. How much is the carrying capacity of your unit? It will give us some ballpark number on how much we could carry on that unit. We are planning to full-time RV by next year.

Did you make any modification on your unit? Where did you purchase the MH? What are other costs associated with the purchase of the unit aside from the unit itself? And how much? Did you buy an extended warranty? If yes, how much and to whom. How much did you pay for insurance and from which provider?

Basically, I am trying to figure out how much money I need to purchase one of those and maintain it.

You mentioned that you did an oil change recently, how much did it cost you for the oil change?

I may have more questions, but limit a few for now.

Thanks...
So I am gonna break this down so I don't miss any Q's...

How much is the carrying capacity of your unit? With people and supplies, maybe 1000lbs plus a full tank of water and fuel.

Did you make any modification on your unit? No, factory new.

Where did you purchase the MH? Chesaco RV in Maryland

What are other costs associated with the purchase of the unit aside from the unit itself? And how much? We traded in a RV, so all my old supplies and items transferred over.

Did you buy an extended warranty? If yes, how much and to whom. How much did you pay for insurance and from which provider? We bought a 7 year extended warranty. It was negotiated in the sale price, so I am not sure exactly my cost. We use state farm for insurance, about $70 a month.

You mentioned that you did an oil change recently, how much did it cost you for the oil change? $180 at the dealer, 7 quart conventional oil. PLan to go to synthetic next time.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Congratulation. Look like you have a good shake down trip.

I purchase a new 2016 GT XL 352QS last July and was not able to travel much.

Our first 200 miles shakedown trip was early August of last year and the hydraulic pump was bad and took 2 months to get a new one replaced.

Our second trip was 500 miles in November came back with the large day/night shade assembly holding bracket broke.

Just installed some upgrade and towing equipment to the RV and tow vehicle. I just took the third shakedown with full tow for 500 miles trip last week and everything stays intact. All system functioned properly including hydraulic, water, heater, cooling, etc., seems to me the RV doing okay now.

Love the RV, the design, and its performance.

Getting ready for 4000 miles real travel trip from TX, to AZ, CA, NV, CO, NM in couple weeks... Very excited...
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Happy Camper

I didn't plan for a 2500 mile shakedown trip, but we had a FL trip planned already when we traded in our old one. Instead of driving my Altima and staying in hotels we rolled the dice on a long road trip. Looks like we got a good hand this time.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighman View Post

Thanks...
The F53 Ford chassis is the same for all models for oil changes. I just had FULL Synthetic 7 Qts. + Filter + Lube done in Florida at an oil change place for 80 bucks. Camping World has done it for 120 so I would say 180 for regular oil change is quite steep.
Price wise...MHSRV has a loaded one for less than 100k so anything in the 95-100k range depending on options would be a good deal.
New 2017 Forest River Georgetown
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #8

I'm on my third brake sensor, which activates the ABS light. (Not sure what you meant by "brake light did come on in heavy traffic".) If you were referring to the ABS light, then according to the dealer, it's a pretty common failure item with the F53. Good news is that it should be covered by the warranty.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #9
Happy Camper

Yea, the ABS light and another "brake" looking light that went on the same time with it.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #10

If you use the front jacks and push the RV up so the tires are off the ground I was able to do the oil change myself. Full synthetic for motor craft oil with the motor craft filter for $25. I wasn't about to pay $100 when it's easier to do one on the RV than it is on a truck.
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walte1fr View Post
If you use the front jacks and push the RV up so the tires are off the ground I was able to do the oil change myself. Full synthetic for motor craft oil with the motor craft filter for $25. I wasn't about to pay $100 when it's easier to do one on the RV than it is on a truck.
never thought to use the hydraulic jacks to lift it up. Your right, that would make it easier!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The F53 Ford chassis is the same for all models for oil changes. I just had FULL Synthetic 7 Qts. + Filter + Lube done in Florida at an oil change place for 80 bucks. Camping World has done it for 120 so I would say 180 for regular oil change is quite steep.
Price wise...MHSRV has a loaded one for less than 100k so anything in the 95-100k range depending on options would be a good deal.
Quote:
never thought to use the hydraulic jacks to lift it up. Your right, that would make it easier!
A lot of us do our own oil change and lube. I personally would never crawl under my rig with just the hydraulic jacks. If you just drive up on a couple of pieces of 2x8 or similar blocking or jack the front wheels up, place some blocking under the wheel and let the jacks back down you will be MUCH safer.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #13

It was great. Saved $100 I'll be doing it every time in the driveway now
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Thank you for the information.

I am in the stage of data gathering before we take the big Decision. Budget is tight so every $ counts.

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
So I am gonna break this down so I don't miss any Q's...

How much is the carrying capacity of your unit? With people and supplies, maybe 1000lbs plus a full tank of water and fuel.

Did you make any modification on your unit? No, factory new.

Where did you purchase the MH? Chesaco RV in Maryland

What are other costs associated with the purchase of the unit aside from the unit itself? And how much? We traded in a RV, so all my old supplies and items transferred over.

Did you buy an extended warranty? If yes, how much and to whom. How much did you pay for insurance and from which provider? We bought a 7 year extended warranty. It was negotiated in the sale price, so I am not sure exactly my cost. We use state farm for insurance, about $70 a month.

You mentioned that you did an oil change recently, how much did it cost you for the oil change? $180 at the dealer, 7 quart conventional oil. PLan to go to synthetic next time.
Thank you very much for the information.

I really appreciate it.

Tags