Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Broken key to compartment

2015 GT 351DS. Went to open the passenger side rear most compartment and the key simply broke off inside the keyhole of the slam latch. Now it's stuck inside. What are my options?
Take it to a locksmith after taking the whole assembly out or do I just replace the assembly?
I looked and it wasn't obvious to me that the lock tumbler can be removed... Any ideas?
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

If you get to the point where you are considering just replacing the latch, you could try some super/crazy glue. Just use it very sparingly so as to not get glue all over the insides.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #3

First,is the compartment open? so you can get to the lock assembly, if so just remove lock cylinder and place with new ( you may have different key if you can't get same code number) second, if in closed locked position you could drill out lock,turn open with screwdriver, then open compartment and remove lock assembly and replace.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

My understanding from my dealer and readings on line and here all compartment locks use the same key unless you change them and specify that they are coded different. In your case if you can get the lock out take it and tap it on a counter then using a small pair if needle nose you should be able to get a hold in the piece of key and pull it out. If it is locked some compartments are accessible from inside the trailer check that before drilling the lock out as has been stated earlier. If you can get to it from inside the trailer just unscrew the center screw and it will be unlocked. I changed all my compartment locks and had the new ones keyed to be the same as the door key. A company called rvlocksandmore.com had them cheapest .
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

I have used a coping say blade. You will have to break off the end of the blade that holds it to the saw frame. Slide the blade in on the flat side of the key, 90% from the keys teeth. Turn the saw blade slightly so the teeth of the blade grab the key and gently extract the broken key. May need to use two pieces of the saw blade, one either side of the key. Worked for me.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

myself I would call a good locksmith. he can get old key out without drilling a make you a new key.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Site Team

If the compartment is a pass thru, and the lock is locked you can go in thru other side and remove lock, Once removed, you can tap the lock or use a surgeons clamp to remove the broken key. There are only a few key sets that are used in most RVs. You can order another key at most RV centers and even online if you have the key number, CH751 is the most common.Replacement Key for Compartment Hardware - RV Designer L200 - Compartment and Hatch Hardware - Camping World

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
WDK

I am for spending a little more money and just drive it to a lock smith....he can get the key out, make you a new one with no damage to your lock or mechanism....should not take a good smith no more than 30 minutes.....$29.99.....

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

There is a tool for that. Broken Key Extractor. It's a very fine saw blade. Google, broken key extractor. Amazon and others offer it. I've used mine a few times. Pays for itself quick.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

Great, thanks everyone for quick replies! I fixed it -
Carefully removed the entire lock assembly by unscrewing the 4 screws.
Once inside the house, I used a thin metal pick to just work the little key stub out of the keyhole, being careful not to put too much pressure on the lock or pick so not to break it. The broken key actually came out!
I then liberally oiled the entire lock, and oiled it again - it now works smoothly.
I am down to one key for my compartments, so tomorrow I will go to the local lock store to get a few extras made.

Phew, thought I was in for some $$$ spending to get this fixed!
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #11

I am in the same boat with a trailer under warranty. Broke off last November on our last night out. I tried everything and could not get the broken piece out. Took it to the dealer two weeks ago for some minor warranty work and they could not get it out either. Waiting on parts from Forest River to replace the lock. So I start this camping season not being able to use the door side access to my basement storage. I'm taking the trailer back from the dealer tomorrow as is because we hit the road Easter weekend. Once they have the parts (new window has to be switched out as well) I will take it back in. I'm not about to let good weekends go by waiting on parts!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #12

key brken off

Hi, I am a locksmith and I would recommend that you take you rig to a locksmith and have them remove the key at their shop, It is a very simple procedure using a key removal tool that I always carry in my pocket when working. It should not take more than 2 minutes.
Kirk Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

+1 - LOCKSMITH. Had this happen. Some of the keys are very weak and break. Like mine did the first weekend out.

Call locksmith and they will pop it in just a few seconds - not minutes - seconds. If you are still under warranty and traveling call Coachnet. They had a locksmith on the way to my site and fixed quickly.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
+1 - LOCKSMITH. Had this happen. Some of the keys are very weak and break. Like mine did the first weekend out.

Call locksmith and they will pop it in just a few seconds - not minutes - seconds. If you are still under warranty and traveling call Coachnet. They had a locksmith on the way to my site and fixed quickly.
Thats 'cause most of the keys seem to aluminum...try a magnet on them.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had just one side of a key brake of inside the lock. The compartment was locked. I took it to a locksmith and they were able to get it out and made me a new key. I also had them make me total set that I keep in the toad just in case.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #16
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard View Post
Great, thanks everyone for quick replies! I fixed it -
Carefully removed the entire lock assembly by unscrewing the 4 screws.
Once inside the house, I used a thin metal pick to just work the little key stub out of the keyhole, being careful not to put too much pressure on the lock or pick so not to break it. The broken key actually came out!
I then liberally oiled the entire lock, and oiled it again - it now works smoothly.
I am down to one key for my compartments, so tomorrow I will go to the local lock store to get a few extras made.

Phew, thought I was in for some $$$ spending to get this fixed!

Best to use graphite vs oil. Oil will attract dirt over time and make it worse that it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
Do It Yourselfer

Putting oil or grease in a lock cylinder is not good. Grit and dust will collect and make the lock hard to turn or inoperable. Graphite or a dry lube should be used.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote