Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 AM   #1

BTSI diode 2 burned

I am having several issues with my 2011 350TS. Not sure if they are related or not. I just found the number 2 diode completely burned and the owners manual says its BTSI. Not sure what that is or what would cause it to burn. Secendly the Power Brake Assist Motor randomly turns on and runs for a few seconds then shuts back off. I had to pull the fuse to get it to stop. Is there a switch that controls the brake assist motor that could be bad? Anyone out there that could help a brother out.

Thanks,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9352 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	268033  
latefreight727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #2

I think BTSI is "brake transmission shift interlock". Also F4 in the same fuse panel is part of the BTSI. Both of those diodes are BTSI related.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:35 AM   #3

Don't know what you pulled but fuse 14 is "power brake assist module".

Power distribution box
The power distribution box is located in the engine compartment. The
power distribution box contains high-current fuses that protect your
vehicle’s main electrical systems from overloads
Fuses #1 and #29 are also "power brake assist module" related.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #4

I pulled what was left of diode 2 out. it was completely charred. I pulled fuse 29 from the power distribution box to shut the Power Brake Assist Motor off. Not sure how/if they are related. I also had to pull the #8 brake lamps feed fuse because the brake lights were staying on.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #5

It sounds like your brake switch may be the issue in all of this. If it’s stuck on it will keep the circuit actuated. And anything associated with it, hydro boost motor and the BTSI will stay on. I would start with replacing the brake light switch.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #6

Thanks, I will give it a shot.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by latefreight727 View Post
I I also had to pull the #8 brake lamps feed fuse because the brake lights were staying on.
This is a good clue that, as said, the brake pedal switch needs to be checked. The electric brake assist is powered whenever the brake pedal is pushed (ignition OFF). You failed to mention this in first post.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #8

Just curious and future reference. With that diode out are you able to shift into gear with the brake pedal pushed (engine running)? Don't know where those diodes are in the circuit.

This is one individuals issue: I know it's far out but maybe food for thought.

The main wiring loom (16 wires I believe) that connects under the dash never got "snapped" together when the connector was originally installed. When the motorhome hit the bump transitioning from pavement to dirt, the connector pulled apart just enough to make just ONE row on my in cab dashboard fuse panel to go dead. This caused either the diode to blow then short the shift interlock device to fail or visa versa, I'm sure someone more versed in electrical can clarify that.
Who'd a thunk it!