Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #21

Wow good advise. Thank you for the information. Safe Travels. Thom and Debbie
thomanddebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #22

X2 on the Raid Fumigator. No smell, no stains, and gets into all the nooks and crannys. I know you have decided on something else but if anyone else might be thinking about a fogger this is the only one I rely on.
Traveling with all our pets, (dogs, squirrel, and bearded dragon) We have to be very careful what we use. Never had an issue. Just make sure all power is off and remove the smoke alarms as it will set them off.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #23
MCTroy

I have used bug bombs in our TT without a problem. It does mean a lot of cleaning afterwards to be sure there is no residue on counters etc. For ants I put a little sugar on a saucer and then add baking soda. The sugar will attract the ants, they carry the baking soda back to the nest where it kills them. This is safe for our dogs too.however, it looks odd to have small piles of white powder sitting around! I make sure guests know it is only baking soda!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #24

Thanks again MCTroy. Have not discounted your suggestion, just already ordered other product. I have your suggestion in my file for future needs. Certain there will be! Safe Travels. Thom and Debbie.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #25

Cool safe alternative. Geee..wonder what you mean by lines of white powder? LOL..LOL..
Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #26

At the end of each season I set off two bug foggers in my fifth wheel to kill any insects that want to use the trailer for winter hibernation. Two years ago we had a lady bug infestation on our trip to winterize the trailer. That year I had to set off two bug fogger twice to kill all those buggers. We swept and vacuumed up piles of lady bugs.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #27

I hear that !! Thank you
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #28

Ants can smell food from hundreds of feet away. I would put something like honey outside of my unit to lure them out to where the honey is located. Then do them in.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #29

I have used the Raid Fumigator for years, it's a chemical reaction with water and emits a smoke that get in all nooks and crannies. Only thing I use.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #30

Hi everyone! I found this thread searching for pest solutions.

09 Berkshire

When you use the RAID fogger do you empty contents completely and open storage compartments?

We have some unwelcome residents that came with the coach that I'm ready to exterminate (stink bugs).

Thanks
Brooke
BigT travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #31

I open all the inside compartments excluding the oven and refrigerator. I will lift the bed frame a little bit to allow for air flow. I make sure that all the windows and vents are closed and I take the battery out of the smoke detector. I shut off the furnace, air conditioner and close the vent on the stove top fan. I may also remove the false walls that divide the compartments that isolate the plumbing and electrical connections for the stereo/TV. All of this I have simplified so it is easy to do. I make sure that all outside doors are shut and sealed. Once I set off the bombs, I will leave the TT sealed for 4 hours. You should know that before I took these measures, I was under the trailer with a can of Loctite foam to seal any openings that even gave a hint that insects could crawl in. I did this at night with all the lights on in the TT so that I could visibly see what the entry points were. The most vulnerable area was through the refrigerator vent. Lots of open points!! To solve that problem, I used an aluminum screen material that is normally used for keeping debris out of gutters. It has much larger openings than the Dometic screens (which are frowned on due to the limiting of air flow to the components of the refrigerator when it is using propane) but the openings are small enough to ward off stink bugs and wasps. I sealed it onto the outer access panel using a few black zip ties and a latex caulk. I took nylon screen material and packed any areas that could be used as a crawl space for the insects. This also served to block any light sources leaving that area of the trailer. Bugs love light, especially at night! As a final measure, I used a flexible foam gasket material to go around the base of my air conditioner. I left strategic gaps to allow for condensation run off, but I coated each segment with diatomaceous earth (pool filter media) because to insects, it is like humans crawling on GLASS !!! I also squirted some of the diatomaceous earth into the screen I used as packing material. So far... no bugs, no ants... Nothing!!! 5 years... NOTHING !!! I camp near New Paltz, NY for at least 2 months per year. Bugs are a BIG problem there because a lot of the residents have petitioned to ban pesticide use in Ulster county. They have major problems with Ticks, Fleas, Stink Bugs, Hornets and Mosquitos. Not us... and the only pesticide I may use is either the Raid Fogger (not in 6 years) or the No Pest Strip (for storage). I replaced my 14/20 mesh screen with 20/20 mesh screen because the finer screen keeps out No-see-ums. Diatomaceous earth is an irritant, but it is considered as being non- toxic. You should also look at Orthoboric Acid, especially if you are in an area with termites, fire ants and carpenter ants. I am a 10 year senior Master Gardener certified with the University of Florida specializing in Entomology, Ornithology and Plant Disease. By the way... the active ingredient used in No Pest Strips is also one of the only pesticides that will kill Bed Bugs.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote