Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Robert Strickland

Cable issues

I have a 2016 Georgetown 2016 and I cannot get any cable signal to get to the TV. I have tried everything I can think off. I made sure the green light was off, but I could not get any cable. My overhead air antenna works great and provide some beautiful digital signals. Has anyone had this problem.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

Robert do you have a switch like this?
You never mentioned you switch from Roof Antenna to Campground Cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	138001  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Robert Strickland

Yes, and the air antenna provides excellent reception. However turning off booster I do not get a cable signal
Old 05-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrick11 View Post
Yes, and the air antenna provides excellent reception. However turning off booster I do not get a cable signal

You still never said that you moved the slider to cable or not.
Have you ever gotten TV reception from a campground cable?

Please write your answer so we all know what you are thinking so we can help you instead of writing many many messages.

Have you tried running the outside campground cable directly to the TV set to see if that works?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
Robert Strickland

I moved the slider to cable, turned off booster and set tv to cable and did an auto scan , I got nothing. No signal. The air antenna provides a good picture when I slide to the ant and turn on the booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You still never said that you moved the slider to cable or not.

Please write your answer so we all know what you are thinking so we can help you instead of writing many many messages.

Have you tried running the outside campground cable directly to the TV set to see if that works?
rstrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #6

Check the specifications on your TVs. If they have only ATSC tuners (sometimes just listed as Digital Tuners) and not dual digital tuners with ATSC/QAM, you will most likely not get anything from the cable hookup directly to the TVs. You will need a QAM cable tuner to connect the cable to and then to the TVs. I found this out when I was at Fort Wilderness and none of the 4 SEIKI TVs in my coach would tune to any stations.

PS. It's a couple $$ more for a TV with dual tuners, so guess which ones we get in our RVs.
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:
I moved the slider to cable, turned off booster and set tv to cable and did an auto scan , I got nothing. No signal. The air antenna provides a good picture when I slide to the ant and turn on the booster
I asked earlier.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
This should be your interconnect. If you have an outside TV it would probably come from the splitter. Hope this helps. Yeah, asked by Iggy, has cable input ever worked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wiring.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	138068  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #9

Are you using the correct "cable in" hookup at the rear of your motor home. The one in the side bay if for signal OUT. I learned the hard way.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Are you using the correct "cable in" hookup at the rear of your motor home. The one in the side bay if for signal OUT. I learned the hard way.

The Cable-In on a 378TS is located in the drivers side rear compartment where the power cable is located.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #11

I just went through this over the weekend. I can't remember the exact way but you have to hit the menu button then go to the setting all the way to the right and a few lines down you have to change it from antenna to cable then do the scan. Then it took like 5 min to do the scan.
jtjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #12

I have a 2016 Georgetown 335DS with two Furrion TVs and one Seiki. I have experienced the same issues each time trying to connect to cable; no reception. I checked and the TVs are ATSC only. Any recommendations of which brand/model QAM converter to use? Also, where in the line would this be attached? Thanks.
exlnt1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlnt1900 View Post
I have a 2016 Georgetown 335DS with two Furrion TVs and one Seiki. I have experienced the same issues each time trying to connect to cable; no reception. I checked and the TVs are ATSC only. Any recommendations of which brand/model QAM converter to use? Also, where in the line would this be attached? Thanks.
The bedroom TV in my 2016 Georgetown XL 369 DS was a Seiki and it had the same problem. Bryan at FR/Georgetown said that if I went thru the dealer, FR would replace it with a TV with a digital cable tuner. After jumping hoops for a while, I replaced it with a 32" smart tv myself (Insignia, Best Buy brand) for $175. I installed an extending tv mount and now have access behind the tv as well. Bryan said that they would refund me the cost of their replacement tv, but again I would need to go thru the dealer and create a pap per trail. The $75 or so that the may refund me isn't worth the effort.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlnt1900 View Post
I would suggest swapping out the TVs with ones that have built in QAM cable tuners. You can buy a separate tuner for about $30-$35, but then you add another piece of equipment for EACH television, another remote (one for channels on the cable box - one for volume on the TV) and to get HD on the TV, you have to connect the tuner to the TV via an HDMI cable. Much easier to swap TVs with good ones and just connect directly to the cable that is already there.

I have the same problem with 4 SEIKI TVs, and I am slowly swapping them out.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darugs View Post
The bedroom TV in my 2016 Georgetown XL 369 DS was a Seiki and it had the same problem. Bryan at FR/Georgetown said that if I went thru the dealer, FR would replace it with a TV with a digital cable tuner. After jumping hoops for a while, I replaced it with a 32" smart tv myself (Insignia, Best Buy brand) for $175. I installed an extending tv mount and now have access behind the tv as well. Bryan said that they would refund me the cost of their replacement tv, but again I would need to go thru the dealer and create a pap per trail. The $75 or so that the may refund me isn't worth the effort.
I got Forest River to replace my Seiki in the bedroom with one that has a QAM tuner. They did so under warranty through my dealership, so it was no cost to me.

I figured it was better to let them pay for it and re-install it!

2016 Georgetown 329DS
shakywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakywoods View Post
I got Forest River to replace my Seiki in the bedroom with one that has a QAM tuner. They did so under warranty through my dealership, so it was no cost to me.

I figured it was better to let them pay for it and re-install it!
They actually gave me the same offer, but I wanted to go with a 32" smart TV, thus the offer to pay me their cost to replace the TV. I also wanted to use an actual TV bracket that would allow me the access to the area behind the factory unit. It would have cost me $30 in gas plus who knows how long to get my MH back. Not to mention the certain frustration factor of having to work with "customer service"!

Glad it worked out for you.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
I Break Everything

We have a 351 DS, with the same "junky" little box. We got nothing as far as cable either. I opened the box to see cracked and broken pieces. It is cheap. I replaced it and everything worked well.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
Check the specifications on your TVs. If they have only ATSC tuners (sometimes just listed as Digital Tuners) and not dual digital tuners with ATSC/QAM, you will most likely not get anything from the cable hookup directly to the TVs. You will need a QAM cable tuner to connect the cable to and then to the TVs. I found this out when I was at Fort Wilderness and none of the 4 SEIKI TVs in my coach would tune to any stations.

PS. It's a couple $$ more for a TV with dual tuners, so guess which ones we get in our RVs.
Guess FR got cheap with the TV's after 2014 or so. The Toshiba's and the two small DVD combos in the bunk area that came in the MH all have the dual tuners. Was at Fort Wilderness in December all tuned in the cable fine. Thank goodness since we had a packed MH that week.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #19

I'd like to jump in here with a question, I have a 2014 377 and have had a lot of trouble figuring how to hook up my tailgater system, other than running a cable thru window. on the movievision box, where does the sat cable lead to? As far as I can find there is only one cable port, and it is in the rr compartement for hooking up cable tv. Does this sat cable just go somewhere and dead end or what. Jerre Turner
Jerre turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerre turner View Post
I'd like to jump in here with a question, I have a 2014 377 and have had a lot of trouble figuring how to hook up my tailgater system, other than running a cable thru window. on the movievision box, where does the sat cable lead to? As far as I can find there is only one cable port, and it is in the rr compartement for hooking up cable tv. Does this sat cable just go somewhere and dead end or what. Jerre Turner
You can hook your satellite cable up to the cable hook up in the rr compartment. It will work for cable or satellite. That's the way mine works on my 2015 377.

Ps, set the switch on the movievision box to cable. The only time you need to set the switch to satellite is if you have a roof top mounted satellite dish that is hooked up to the pre installed cables on the roof..

Tags
cable