Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Can I store a Coleman stove and fuel

I'd like to bring my Coleman liquid gas camp stove and a gallon of fuel, but I don't know if it's allowed on the Motorhome.

Could I or not, if you do how and where do you store your stove, liquid fuel and the small propane bottles.

Thank you!
prayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #2

Propane

We travel with our small propane stove and sometimes the large on. We put the gallon battle in storage compartment.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We carry our Weber Baby-Q in one of the storage compartments. The propane bottles fit in the Weber bag for the Baby-Q. As for Coleman fuel and stove I would just put it in one of the storage compartments. I used to use a bucket and place my fuel can in there so it would tip over. Once we arrived it was taken out and left outside, preferably away from direct sunlight.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I put my Coleman wet fuel lanterns in the basement of my 5er.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #5

I've been carrying Coleman fuel in the can, in lanterns, and in my stove since 1976, in travel trailers, fivers, and in three motorhomes with no problems.

Just use common sense, make sure all caps are tight and valves are closed and checked before storage.

Remember, you already have an 80-gallon white gas can slung under the MoHo!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

We carried a Coleman stove and lantern on our first 3 month trip. I put the gallon of unleaded fuel (car gas) in the rear compartment of our motorhome. When we got to west Texas it was 104 F. The gas expanded and swelled the can. It vented fumes into the storage compartment. Rather than risk having the can rupture, or a fire from the fumes, I filled the stove and lantern tanks and put the rest in the motorhome's tank. Those tanks are made for pressure so I wasn't worried about having gas in them. As it turned out we only used the stove twice and never used the lantern during the trip, so I don't carry them anymore. I just have two rechargeable lanterns.

If you will be in a cooler climate and/or make short trips, decide for yourself. If you decide to carry gas in a storage compartment, keep a close watch on it. It there is any doubt about the can leaking or venting, get rid of it.

And yes, the motorhome has a large gas tank, but it is vented to the engine (normally) or to the outside (through the cap if needed), and it is well secured in a crash protected location (at least the one on our Ford E450 is).
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #7

Well, That was some good information.

I just have a pop up 2 burner stove with a small tank.
I concerned about the metal Coleman fuel can, 1 gl size. There is no valve on it for expansion. I will be traveling on 40 West heading to Yosemite. I'll be traveling through Arizona and I hear its 110 degrees. I would store the Cole metal gas can in the rear underneath locker of the Motor home. With it being so hot do you think it's safe to bring the fuel along for the ride??
prayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #8

I have a compartment I carry gas cans in for a portable generator. Since the storage compartments are not vented, I installed a vent in this compartment just in case. The sealed gas cans do build up a lot of pressure from heat while traveling or when altitude increases. Be careful when opening those.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Odd! I live in the desert, and have never had a problem! Again, the proper containers and common sense. It was 110 here for two days last week, and no smell.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote