Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Can you run iPad through coach audio? (Not music or podcasts)

I was going to replace my aging iPad mini with a new one and add Copilot. I was also going to get the Tireminder Smart system and essentially use the iPad as an all-in-one device while driving the coach. I really don't want 2-3 different screens to pay attention to as well as the road.

My only concern is volume. The gripe with older iPads for such purposes is low volume. I'm worried I won't be able to hear it over the V10. I fiddled with the audio systems to try to get the turn-by-turn over the coach audio but it only plays music when connected by either cable or bluetooth . . no voice otherwise from either my phone or iPad. There is an HDMI connection under the dash that, in theory would let me mirror the whole thing to the dash screen but there are a couple different connections and adapters needed to make that work and I don't really want to fool with all that. It also seems like such a connection could be pretty unreliable when traveling down the road. The connectors are also expensive. There is no such thing as lightning to HDMI.

Anyway . . I'm wondering if anyone has either used an iPad mini (or any ipad) for GPS and if you can hear it over engine noise? Also, anyone figure out a way to get it to play through the dash audio?
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
NXR

Not yet because I don't have it yet.

Have you considered whether the TV's sound could be used wirelessly to accomplish the same task? I don't see a soundbar on the 31R5 but those are not very expensive so maybe even adding one with Bluetooth capability would do the trick. A mini one hung below those overhead cabinets might work, if power is available.

I do find it odd that the cab speakers are so high and not angled down.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
I was going to replace my aging iPad mini with a new one and add Copilot. I was also going to get the Tireminder Smart system and essentially use the iPad as an all-in-one device while driving the coach. I really don't want 2-3 different screens to pay attention to as well as the road.

My only concern is volume. The gripe with older iPads for such purposes is low volume. I'm worried I won't be able to hear it over the V10. I fiddled with the audio systems to try to get the turn-by-turn over the coach audio but it only plays music when connected by either cable or bluetooth . . no voice otherwise from either my phone or iPad. There is an HDMI connection under the dash that, in theory would let me mirror the whole thing to the dash screen but there are a couple different connections and adapters needed to make that work and I don't really want to fool with all that. It also seems like such a connection could be pretty unreliable when traveling down the road. The connectors are also expensive. There is no such thing as lightning to HDMI.

Anyway . . I'm wondering if anyone has either used an iPad mini (or any ipad) for GPS and if you can hear it over engine noise? Also, anyone figure out a way to get it to play through the dash audio?

We have a 2018XL so it has Bluetooth. It plays fine throughout. When I pulled the radio to add the Sirius upgrade I saw it had a jack output as well behind the radio.
I have the copilot app but use the Garmin on trips as I have lost cell service in many spots
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalb20 View Post
We have a 2018XL so it has Bluetooth. It plays fine throughout. When I pulled the radio to add the Sirius upgrade I saw it had a jack output as well behind the radio.
I have the copilot app but use the Garmin on trips as I have lost cell service in many spots

Sorry I did not see your entire post, though. I have not tested the copilot app through Bluetooth
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #5

They sell adapters to go from the apple lightening connection to HDMI https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...009WHV3BM?th=1
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
They sell adapters to go from the apple lightening connection to HDMI https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...009WHV3BM?th=1
Unfortunately that is a female adapter for HDMI input to the phone. I have seen Lightning to male HDMI for out put. You have to adapt USB to an HDMI adapter. Too many connection for my liking and they are pricey.

I like the handle and avatar.

I grew up in Salem County fishing the ocean and Del. Bay throughout my life. I live in Reading, PA now but return as often as I can to fish. (Not nearly enough these days.) I'm heading down Wednesday for sea bass in the morning and drum in the afternoon.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

I use Bluetooth over my hybrid Rockwood Roo 24WS. Whether iPhone, Android, little mp3 Bluetooth audio device, it all works good.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
ve6dave

HDMI - Lightning Adapter

That adapter does work to provide output from both an iPad and an iPhone. I use them on nearly a daily basis to provide audio-visual output to both televisions and data projectors.
ve6dave is offline   Reply With Quote