Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Captain Chair replacing

Hi all -

I am needing to replace to two captain chairs in my Georgetown because the material is deteriorating that covers the seat. We've already replaced the sofa and love it. The guy at Discount Van and Truck says it's an easy replacement...just 4 bolts holding the chair to the plate beneath it. I looked and what he says I believe is true. What I'm not so sure about is how easy it is to take off the electronics that runs between the floor and the chair. Has anyone done this before? It looks easy if you know what you are doing. I just hate to hire someone if I don't really need to. I considered reupholstering but that is a little more expensive than getting new if you are going with leather.

RV Furniture,Seats,RV Marine Boat Furniture Sofa Beds

Link to the vendor I'm going with.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
Hi all -

I am needing to replace to two captain chairs in my Georgetown because the material is deteriorating that covers the seat. We've already replaced the sofa and love it. The guy at Discount Van and Truck says it's an easy replacement...just 4 bolts holding the chair to the plate beneath it. I looked and what he says I believe is true. What I'm not so sure about is how easy it is to take off the electronics that runs between the floor and the chair. Has anyone done this before? It looks easy if you know what you are doing. I just hate to hire someone if I don't really need to. I considered reupholstering but that is a little more expensive than getting new if you are going with leather.

RV Furniture,Seats,RV Marine Boat Furniture Sofa Beds

Link to the vendor I'm going with.
We just had a big discussion on this subject about a week ago.
Seems many are ready to upgrade to a better quality seat.
Here is the llink.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ats-47196.html

Where are you camping in Seal Beach?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks for posting the link but I'm also looking for information on how to replace the chairs. If anyone has done this themselves and know what is involved, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link but I'm also looking for information on how to replace the chairs. If anyone has done this themselves and know what is involved, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks.
Here is the picture of the electronics connector under the driver's side seat. There are two of them. Can anyone tell me specifically how to take these connectors apart so I can remove the driver's side seat. It also looks like the driver's side seat can be removed with just 4 bolts. Is this correct????

Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	39795  
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

I have not done this yet. My understanding is the Pedestal is the moving part, therefore you would not need to disconnect he wires, just pull four bolts and put new seat on pedestal and bolt in. If this is not correct could someone help, as I am thinking of same thing
Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

Thank you for your response. When I get the chairs, I think I'll try to do the replacement on my own. It sounds easy enough.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you for your response. When I get the chairs, I think I'll try to do the replacement on my own. It sounds easy enough.
Hi George
Where and what type of seats did you get?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

Great forum, first time user. We also have the material on our seats and sofa deteriorating and don't know what to do. It is definitively to expensive to reupholster. I have not been able to find any places here in British Columbia that supply RV furniture. Our RV is a 2007 Georgetown, hardly been used for the first 4 years. We're not impressed with the quality of the material and we're wondering if anyone had any luck with getting reimbursed or compensated by Forest River. Any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.
Johanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #9

I have removed both the driver and passenger chairs when I replaced the front carpet with matching vinyl flooring from Forest River. There are 4 bolts that go through the floor. The bolts are about 6 inches long, as the floor is a thick foam sandwich with wafer board on both sides and has wiring and heat ducts within it.

I needed to turn the front wheels to more easily access the nuts on the underside of the floor. On each of the seats, there was one nut that I just could not remove. The problem is that the bolts are carriage bolts, so there was nothing to grab them by at the pedestal on the interior. I ended up having to use a saw to carefully cut one bolt on each chair between the pedestal base and interior floor. Replacement bolts are easily found at a hardware store.

The driver's seat on my Georgetown has the optional power seat features, but that was two simple automotive style plug connectors as posted in a photo above. To remove the plug, there is a locking tab on one side of it. The plug is polarized, so it will only fit in the correct orientation. If you use a different brand power seat, you may need to modify the wiring for the power features if the connectors are different.

Where you are replacing the seats, it may not be necessary to completely remove the pedestal base from the floor as I did to change the flooring. You may be able to attach a new seat to the existing pedestal base.

Our Georgetown came with the vinyl floor option in the main living area, and I asked at the factory tour why they used carpet in the front seat area instead of extending the vinyl all the way to under the dashboard. I was told that the carpet is easier to install. After replacing the carpet with vinyl, I can understand this, but installing the vinyl floor up front was not that tough to do and is much easier to keep clean.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #10

Cornelius,

I need to redrill my holes as the seat sits a little cockeyed facing a bit left and not straight ahead. bugs ya after you drive awhile.

you mentioned that the bolts go through the floor which has a foam sandwich and has wiring and duct work in it.

did you mean in general or right at the area of the seat? I want to drill the holed to straighten and at the same time move them back an inch so when I swivel them around to the living room I will be able to till the backrest back a bit further.

would appreciate your help here. hopefully just pull the bolts mark where I want to redrill and reinsert the bolts.

PS: is there a steel plate to go through or just wafer board on each side of the foam

thanks,

Kurt
kurtm is offline   Reply With Quote