Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Carrying air compressor and other stuff

Recently purchased a Georgetown 351 - we are loving it.

I am an avid forum reader and following the advice and guidance from other owners, one of the first items we put on board was a small portable compressor.

The one we bought was formerly a Sears model it is PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor. Its small, portable, versatile and easy to use. Wise advice. Thank you.

After fighting through checking tire pressures with the spiffy new air compressor we added:

1. Digital tire gauge - $7
2. Tire valve air extensions - see our other thread for what we did. About $30
3. CTA Tools 1930 Straight Lock-On Air Chuck. $9 New compressor makes it easy to get air to the tires, digital gauge makes the check accurate and the valve extension make getting air into the tire convenient . BUT this little adder makes the airing up EASY!!!
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

I carry a pancake compressor as well. I have a tri glide and I use it to pump up the doughnut as well as tires, floats, etc. Very handy to have!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

Yep. If any owners need a dose of why a compressor is needed, just check you pressure then try to find a place to air them up. Good luck. Feel much safer checking the pressures and fixing as needed before we pull out.

Looked at several species, to include pancakes. Came down to preferences of all inclosed for us.

Most essential point - IMO - not a nice to have but a necessity.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Yep. If any owners need a dose of why a compressor is needed, just check you pressure then try to find a place to air them up. Good luck. Feel much safer checking the pressures and fixing as needed before we pull out.

Looked at several species, to include pancakes. Came down to preferences of all inclosed for us.

Most essential point - IMO - not a nice to have but a necessity.
Agree. Especially since the tires need to be check for correct air pressure cold.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I'm onboard with justifying the need. Don't know if I could go through a full season without one..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

Yup the Porter Cable pancake does the job. I first tried a Sears model but it had less cfm and lower max air pressure and took forever to inflate my tires to 90psi. The Porter unit works way better. The Sears model cost less and came with a finish nail gun as a bonus. Been using the Sears unit and nailer on a bunch of projects so it wasn't a waste of money after all.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

Porter enclosed

Yep - the Porter I got was very similar to the Sears except it runs up to 150 CFM. It adds 5 lbs of air (85 to 90 PSI) with the clip on nozzle in about 30 seconds. Not sure if that is good but I am very satisfied. Plan on using it to help me blow the water lines for quicker winterization. Adjustable auto shut off should allow me to use 25 PSI fairly steady.

Have you folks used the pancake or others to do this with? Sounds like a way I can prep for quick storage without antifreeze?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

I check my tire pressures frequently. Don't carry a compressor due to weight concerns. I seldom need to add air. If I do, I find the nearest Flying J/Pilotl

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

I tried this but it was always a crap shoot - worn out air chucks, no RV lanes, etc. Got room and the first item in the basement - compressor.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #10

I bought the same compressor and used it to blow the water lines, worked great, we did add antifreeze for assursnce.
dayami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #11

Thanks for the reply on the water lines. I will am going to park my home on wheels in a North Carolina lot for a few days while we run home. Thought I take a few minutes to blow out the lines. Thanks again for the confirmation.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

We have the same Porter-Cable compressor. Doesn't weigh much and is easy to store. Checking tire pressure on our departure check list - before raising the stabilizers....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #13

We have the same one, had it with our Montana 5th wheel before this. I check the TP after long trips.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote