Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #21

CHF - A terrifying mod, just don't.

I have an F-53 and read the CHF threads with great joy. I even went out and started to make the mod on my rig. But it quickly became clear that, whilst it might work, it completely changes the dynamics down there. The sway bar is intended to limit sway by using torsion (twisting of the bar). If you make this change you are essentially changing the geometry and eliminating the torsion effect and using the swaybar like a straight-arm. The potential to hit a bump and simply rip something off the frame is very real - in my mind at least.

So instead I spent the ~$600 on a Helwig heavy duty sway bar for the rear. It can be installed at home, but you will need at least a 24" breaker and lots of elbow grease. The result was amazing, I followed up with the front sway bar but it probably only added a 10% improvement over the rear. The old girl rides like a city bus now.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I would definitely get the sway bar. My wife used to be terrified in the passenger seat, now we roar around corners at the posted speed limit in comfort. All those little micro-adjustments you make with the steering wheel are gone, I can drive with 2 fingers like a normal car, much less tiring to drive now.
dowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #22

I did the rear only a few years ago and it makes a huge difference. 15 minute diy job. I’ve read a post that it’s bad for it but I’ve put more than 20,000 miles on with no issues. Everything from the Rocky Mountains to the pot holes that have pot holes in Texas. At my last service I had the ford mechanic look at it and he said there are no problems with it.
Savannahdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #23

Cheap Handling Fix

We have a 2018 FR3 with the F53 chassis and we wondered the same thing....Well after talking to FORD, the front sway bar has two positions for a reason, customer preference. Moving to the lower mount hole shortens the overall length and provides more resistance to body roll. We made this adjustment the first month we had it and the difference was very noticeable. The second best decision we made was to add a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer as well. We are now able to drive 65-70 mph while passing or being passed by semi-trucks with ease, no more white knuckles! Many have said to install a new rear sway bar, but ours drives so much better now, after 10K miles I don't think we need it. Check out the video link below, you won't be disappointed
Old 08-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatesMotel2 View Post
We have a 2018 FR3 with the F53 chassis and we wondered the same thing....Well after talking to FORD, the front sway bar has two positions for a reason, customer preference. Moving to the lower mount hole shortens the overall length and provides more resistance to body roll. We made this adjustment the first month we had it and the difference was very noticeable. The second best decision we made was to add a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer as well. We are now able to drive 65-70 mph while passing or being passed by semi-trucks with ease, no more white knuckles! Many have said to install a new rear sway bar, but ours drives so much better now, after 10K miles I don't think we need it. Check out the video link below, you won't be disappointed
If you look close, it looks like the rig sway bar in the video is in the CHF position.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #25

1st Road trip after CHF

Made my annual move of the MH from East Alabama to Tuscaloosa...70 miles or so on 2 lane roads and another 100 or so on interstate.
Since I make this trip every fall it was a good comparison to previous trips.

Difference was amazing!!!

Handling and stability improved greatly. No more white knuckles when passing or being being passed by big trucks.

Had a pretty good cross wind at times much more stable!!
Curves and turns.. no more feeling like I was going to roll over.
Driver fatigue GREATLY reduced!!!!

It just feels safer!!!

No issue when leveling up at the RV park all wheels stayed firmly on ground. ( Site is concrete and relatively level)
Unit is also more stable when folks are moving around, going in out and of MH on site.

Everyone has to make their own decision about this mod but so far so good for me.

D.Smith 2015 GT364

PS I did front and rear
foretg is offline   Reply With Quote