Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Chuncking Sound on a 2010 G378 Ford F53

Interesting problem..after 18,000 miles I have begun to have a chuncking sound coming from the left front just above & forward of the driver's side tire. Took the MH to Northside Ford Truck Service, Portland, OR, center to have it serviced and checked. After an oil change and haveing the chasis inspected the service tech stated the following: "Verified noise. No witness marks underneach vehicle. Inspected all front axle bushings and suspension, all OK. Attempted to pinpoint noise from out vehicle by walking along side while being driven on bumps. Not successfull. Noise is suspected to be coming from body mount or other body builder related component in floor of vehicle."
Anybody experiencing such a problem or have a thought on the problem?
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #2

Ive had a similar noise in a similar location that I have not been able to identify. Ive looked high and low for something that would be causing it but can find no evidence. It does seem to only occur when im loaded light. Loaded heavy it wount happen. It isnt that bad and doesnt happen very often, but I dont like any sound I cant explain.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Anacortesians

Our '02 ('01 F53 chassis) makes a similar noise. It's particularly noticeable on uneven pavement which gets the coach rolling from side to side. It was there when we bought it last year, hasn't got worse since. We have 14,000 miles on ours and it was about 11,600 when we got it.

There's a Ford Service Bulletin that addresses it and there has been some discussion on iRV2.com about worn sway bar bushings, but I wouldn't expect to see that kind of wear on a heavy truck chassis. I haven't had a chance to go look or to check the SB applicability. You have to contact a Ford Truck maintenance shop to find out if the bulletin work was actually done.

Frank
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

Updat: The problem is a connector that connects the wall panal to the floor panel in that area. It is either cracked or come unwelded. FR has asked to have the unit returned to the factory so that they can make it right. So...that is what is going to happen, however, we can not get it there tilll May. So we will have to put up with the "chunck sound" till then. Thanks for any replys.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #5

Good luck. Here is some of their welding in a 370 XL 2004.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0867.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	7042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0868.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7043  
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #6

Update: While having the Georgetown at Guaranty RV Service center replacing the orange hydraulic hoses, we had them check this body mount problem that we refered to above. They found the problem, some bolts of screws had sheered off and were alowing the body to move slightly against the the chassis making the chuncking sound. Here is a pic of the area in question and the fix. Chuncking should gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4975 email.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	8012  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
10Isola

I too have this same chunck sound with my '11 320DS. Great info! When I was in also getting my orange blistered lines replaced they seemed to think it was a gap in the king pin. Again, thanks for the info.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Member-at-Large

We just had this problem but in the rear passenger side area...it turned out to be the anti-sway bar bushing. The upper bolt backed out and the threads were a bright silver. Our shop (we just happened to be there having other service done) was able to fix it without incident. This is a Ford issue and NOT a Forest River problem.

The rest of the story has to do with the three stitches on my upper lip and how that accident prevented a larger accident with our motorhome and toad. I'm saving this story for the campfire with my fellow Georgetown homies (MikSher, PolkatronRon, et al).

Michael King
Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote