Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Angry Clarion NX501 stereo external mic adaptor

I have a 2014 Georgetown XL378. The internal microphone on my Clarion NX501 stereo is no longer working. I have an external mic ( RCB-199 ) to install for use but it requires an external microphone adaptor in order to do so. The single pin from the mic jack plugs into one end of the adaptor and the other end is a small rectangular plug that had 4 holes that plugs into a 4 pin port on the rear of the unit. Does anyone know what the part number is for this adaptor and better yet where in the world to get one. Cant find one anywhere.
GeorgeLeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I can't help you but have to ask what is the purpose of this internal/external microphone? Are you doing karaoke or something while camping.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
FR3 Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLeit View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown XL378. The internal microphone on my Clarion NX501 stereo is no longer working. I have an external mic ( RCB-199 ) to install for use but it requires an external microphone adaptor in order to do so. The single pin from the mic jack plugs into one end of the adaptor and the other end is a small rectangular plug that had 4 holes that plugs into a 4 pin port on the rear of the unit. Does anyone know what the part number is for this adaptor and better yet where in the world to get one. Cant find one anywhere.
If this was an OEM Part you can contact our parts department at 574-206-7600 and they can help you. Make sure you have you VIN# handy when you ring them.
Michael Hums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

The Clarion unit is located in my RVs center console and is my base unit for music, navigation, camera system etc.. The external mic is needed so that I can use the system for hands free phone calls while on the road since the internal mic on the stereo is bad. This external mic I'm installing will by pass it. I just purchased an adaptor on line. I was reluctant at first because the plug on the one I ended up buying has 8 holes and the port on the back of the stereo has only 4 pins. I believe that only the four centermost holes in the plug that I bought are wired. We shall see.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

...and that would be a big no on the Karaoke Seadog lol
Old 12-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #6

I didn't look at the sub forum so I was thinking trailer not MH. I understand now and agree no karaoke.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #7

I don't have an answer for you but I found this on Crutchfield and it seems like it applies to you. Are you sure you need an adapter? Clarion says the mic works direct.

"RCB-199 and NX501 Headunit Angelo from Tampa, FL on 12/22/2011
Verified customer (What's this?)

I waited to install the mic for 8 mos because I was waiting to buy the HD tuner and install both at the same time. Well the mic has so much static at any setting the other end cant hear you at all. After some research on the internet I found out that Clarion techs have confirmed the mic doesn't work in the NX501 and from what I read its a hardware issue so a software update most likely wont work. Maybe later units will work but I bought this head unit when it first came out in Feb of 2011. So I cant return the mic because of it being so long ago of an order. I also tried using a different mic to test with so now I definetly know its an issue because of the headunit. So if you buy this mic for an NX501 test it immedietly so you can return it if need be.
Pros: nothing
Cons: Doesn't work with the Clarion NX501 [Editor's Note: Thanks for your comments. We asked Clarion about this and received the following message from their technical services manager: "We have tested the RCB199 with the NX501 and it does work. This customer may have connected the RCB199 into the SWI jack (steering wheel interface jack) instead of the microphone jack.

EDIT...I just took a look at your owners manual and an EXTERNAL mic jack was packed WITH your original unit with a square plug and standard mic jack. My guess is that cable might be available from whatever remnants of Clarion support remains in this country. They stopped selling in stores in 2016. Good luck!

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Thank you for that post on the mic. Hopefully i wont have the same issue
Old 12-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLeit View Post
Thank you for that post on the mic. Hopefully i wont have the same issue
Hope not too! Did you see my further edit.
Here's a copy of your manual. Wiring is in section 7.
https://www.clarion.com/gb/en/MungoB...Z501E_EN,1.pdf
Old 12-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #10

Yes I did TY. I have the manuals but they only provide the external microphone part number and never provide the part number for the mic adaptor or indicate that an adaptor plug was required to complete the connection and the install.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 AM   #11

Ok guys I broke down and ordered the external mic adaptor that had what appeared to be the incorrect plug that inserts into the rear of the Clarion NX501 in the ext mic port. It turned out that it did in fact fit the unit. Pictures on line were deceiving in that it showed the plastic plug end having eight holes for a four pin port on the unit. When I received it I found that four of the eight holes were rectangular shaped and the remaining four were square which fit the pins in the port. Plugged the external mic into the adaptor, changed the setting in the unit from internal mic to external mic and I am up and running for phone calls now. Thanks for everyones feed back. Hopefully this prevents someone out there from the same confusing situation.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #12

Congrats on the solve and for letting us know the outcome
Old 12-22-2020, 03:07 AM   #13

2014 Georgetown XL w Clarion NX 501 stereo

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-16_00.49.25.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	244926

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201215_115024.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	244927Here are some photos to further clarify the issue I had. Circled area on the rear of the unit showing 4 pin port for external mic adaptor. Purple eight hole plug on external mic adaptor purchased.

Tags
stereo