Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Considering a 36B5 - Need some feedback please

I’m considering purchasing a 2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5. Dealer here in Southern California stated they could do 99k plus TTL. I currently have a Diesel Ford Excursion pulling a 32 foot FR Vibe TT. I am looking to upgrade to an all in one Class A RV but don’t want to spend so much on a new diesel pusher. I’ve considered used diesel pusher’s but cannot find one that is in my price range with the features I want. I had some concerns I’m hoping current owners could address.
1. I regularly travel the Cajon Pass (6% grade), will the V10 be sufficient climbing that grade with a TOAD and 7-8 people? I don’t expect to maintain 45-55 like I do now with my current setup, but don’t want to be bogged down to 20-30 MPH and get stuck behind a semi and can’t recover.

2. How has the quality of your MH been? Any major issues I should be aware of?

3. What has your MPG been averaging? Towing and not towing?

4. How much did you pay for unit?

5. I’m told by the dealer the color I was looking at is not full body paint, only partial and if I wanted full body paint it would be a model MSRP at about 134k.

6. Do all GT5 models come with a one piece fiberglass roof? Im told there was a recall on this roof? Do you know if this was already been addressed in the 2019?

7. Overall, are you happy with your MH and do you have any regrets?
sw20td06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20td06 View Post
I’m considering purchasing a 2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5. Dealer here in Southern California stated they could do 99k plus TTL. I currently have a Diesel Ford Excursion pulling a 32 foot FR Vibe TT. I am looking to upgrade to an all in one Class A RV but don’t want to spend so much on a new diesel pusher. I’ve considered used diesel pusher’s but cannot find one that is in my price range with the features I want. I had some concerns I’m hoping current owners could address.
1. I regularly travel the Cajon Pass (6% grade), will the V10 be sufficient climbing that grade with a TOAD and 7-8 people? I don’t expect to maintain 45-55 like I do now with my current setup, but don’t want to be bogged down to 20-30 MPH and get stuck behind a semi and can’t recover.

2. How has the quality of your MH been? Any major issues I should be aware of?

3. What has your MPG been averaging? Towing and not towing?

4. How much did you pay for unit?

5. I’m told by the dealer the color I was looking at is not full body paint, only partial and if I wanted full body paint it would be a model MSRP at about 134k.

6. Do all GT5 models come with a one piece fiberglass roof? Im told there was a recall on this roof? Do you know if this was already been addressed in the 2019?

7. Overall, are you happy with your MH and do you have any regrets?
We are anxiously awaiting delivery of our new GT5 so I can't help with the performance questions but I do know the roof issue was addressed. Also, 99K is a great price.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

Considering a 36B5 - Need some feedback please

Even though we have a 2013 378XL, we have been very happen with the quality and Forest River service.
1. As for the performance I have no complaints. Going up steep grades we can easily do 40-50, though gas mileage suffers a lot. Passing MAY be an issue if the person in front of you is doing 40 or more. With the V-10 and six speed transmission you will not have an issue, keep in mind it will turn 3500-4300 RPM but it is built for it and will not hurt it. I have carpet over my doghouse and extra noise deadening material to keep the noise down. The V-10 is a power house and you I'll be able to get an easy 300,000 miles out of it.
2. Quality is great. A few small issues that I can repair myself. When I needed warranty work it was performed on a timely matter. Even though we purchased our MH 1500 miles away the local dealer treated us like we bought it from them.
3. When we tow we average 7 a 7.75 MPG at 60 - 65 MPH. But like I said, mountain climbing was 6.25 and level ground 8. The AC can subtract .25 MPG.
4. Not relevant, since we bought ours in 2013 and it is a different model but it was a full body paint job. ($99,000. I can tell you all about it if you like).
5. I believe you should be able to deduct 25-30% off of MSRP. You will be happier with a full body paint. It looks so much better and adds a higher class look.
6. We have the fiberglass roof with absolutely no issues. I hear it has been resolved and it only happened to a few owners.
7. Overall we are very happy with our purchase. We would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel like for the money, we received a great product for a great price and for great service.
Have fun with anything you purchase and keep us posted with pics.
Love to see what others purchase.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

All above about performance is good information.

Price.
Never pay MSRP on window.
Depending upon the time of year is the big variable in the price.

This time of year the 2019 just came out so price is hard to get down on a 2019. But if you find a 2018 model then you can haggle.

Usually new 2019 you can get down 10 to 15%

If you find a 2018 then that can drop MSRP 20% - 30%

You can always walk after they tell you they will drop 5% and wait for the call in a few days telling you can get more now.

It also matters on the size of the dealer is and if you have snow on the ground. lol

I got my new Georgetown that had a MSRP of $145,000 for $112,000 and I bought a 2012 in April 2012 to give you some idea. Now that is MH price without tax, lic or other fees they tack on.

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

I purchased new 2018 in February 2018, 36b5, $99,500 plus TT&L, few problems, mine had the roof recall but they did that prior to me taking possession of it, one AC replaced but looks like both AC will have a recall on the vents being modified, other than that we love it, especially the 2 bathrooms
Bubbajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Even though we have a 2013 378XL, we have been very happen with the quality and Forest River service.
1. As for the performance I have no complaints. Going up steep grades we can easily do 40-50, though gas mileage suffers a lot. Passing MAY be an issue if the person in front of you is doing 40 or more. With the V-10 and six speed transmission you will not have an issue, keep in mind it will turn 3500-4300 RPM but it is built for it and will not hurt it. I have carpet over my doghouse and extra noise deadening material to keep the noise down. The V-10 is a power house and you I'll be able to get an easy 300,000 miles out of it.
2. Quality is great. A few small issues that I can repair myself. When I needed warranty work it was performed on a timely matter. Even though we purchased our MH 1500 miles away the local dealer treated us like we bought it from them.
3. When we tow we average 7 a 7.75 MPG at 60 - 65 MPH. But like I said, mountain climbing was 6.25 and level ground 8. The AC can subtract .25 MPG.
4. Not relevant, since we bought ours in 2013 and it is a different model but it was a full body paint job. ($99,000. I can tell you all about it if you like).
5. I believe you should be able to deduct 25-30% off of MSRP. You will be happier with a full body paint. It looks so much better and adds a higher class look.
6. We have the fiberglass roof with absolutely no issues. I hear it has been resolved and it only happened to a few owners.
7. Overall we are very happy with our purchase. We would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel like for the money, we received a great product for a great price and for great service.
Have fun with anything you purchase and keep us posted with pics.
Love to see what others purchase.
It is awesome to see reports from happy owners. We also opted for the full body paint. It is being painted now. In fact, I would expect to hear from our dealer at any moment that they got the invoice for it.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 01-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
It is awesome to see reports from happy owners. We also opted for the full body paint. It is being painted now. In fact, I would expect to hear from our dealer at any moment that they got the invoice for it.
Yes full body paint is worth it in the long run.
My 2012 with 63,000 miles still looks shiny new when cleaned and lightly waxed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexico2017 047.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	195396  
Old 01-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Glad to see everyone is happy with their rig. I used to drive those old E350 V10 vans for work a long time ago, and I was thinking this unit would be just as slow, but I guess we'll see when I take it out for a test drive.

I think I will go ahead and make the final decision tomorrow. Here's picture of the unit I am looking at. I would like the full body paint as well, but it is 20k more. This model is on sale at114k, but they said they could do 100k, I was thinking of offering 95k.

Now those of you who bought new, did you opt to have it inspected by a RV inspection company? An inspection company charges 450 and I am wondering if it is worth it so I can have any issues corrected before taking delivery.

Did anyone also an extended warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G19030-2019-Forest-River-Georgetown-Gt5-20190101.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	195403  
Old 01-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Glad to see everyone is happy with their rig. I used to drive those old E350 V10 vans for work a long time ago, and I was thinking this unit would be just as slow, but I guess we'll see when I take it out for a test drive.

I think I will go ahead and make the final decision tomorrow. Here's picture of the unit I am looking at. I would like the full body paint as well, but it is 20k more. This model is on sale at114k, but they said they could do 100k, I was thinking of offering 95k.

Now those of you who bought new, did you opt to have it inspected by a RV inspection company? An inspection company charges 450 and I am wondering if it is worth it so I can have any issues corrected before taking delivery.

No inspection except myself but then I have a few years under my belt about these thing.

And no Extended Warranty.
If you take $3,000 what it would cost you in a bank account and use it when something breaks you will still have money.
You need to get the rig back to the dealer with a list of things quickly in the first few months or it become too late.
Hopefully you have a good dealer.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:05 AM   #10

Quote:

We didn't have an extended warranty on our old motorhome and won't be buying an extended warranty on this one. Sock that money away and self-insure against post-warranty repairs. There are far, far too many horror stories around the restrictions imposed by extended warranty companies. (Remember, they ARE NOT offered by your dealer but a 3rd party company.) Like any insurance, extended warranty companies make money by not paying claims. Therefore they become incented not to help you.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 01-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #11

I have a 2018 GT5 36B5 we have loved having it, the engine trans combo apparently improved from the 2000 model RV we used to have, lots of power, the trans has the slow down function if you ride the brakes awhile coming down a hill it downshifts. any way, we did the roof recall last spring, it had something to do with a seam along the length of it, not a problem as mine was found to be ok but since they had to pull the sealer out, they redid it. No costs. We do have an extended warranty and it came in handy just after the warranty ran out, one of our slid motors on the big bed died while in Florida in a campground. so it was redone for free. Then 3 months later the other one stopped. they replaced it as well, no charges. Over all we have enjoyed it, being the 8th RV we have had, we expected to have some sort of issues. The grandsons like the bunk beds and that extra bathroom works out great. When alone in it, the beds serve as extra storage for long trip supplies. It could have been designed better we think as far as lacking in some Kitchen area storage which could have been improved. We don't care for the recliner sofa either, it sits too upright and is hard to work. But we are looking to get it replaced if we ever run across something like theater seating. Everything else has been satisfactory. levelers etc all have been ok so far...only problem was those 2 slide motors. We paid 105 for our unit in summer 2017. We bought the Cornerstone united warranty, we have had no issues with them so far. WE have the partial paint as you mentioned with the black part painted. it still looks new with just basic washings with a recommend wash from our dealers, i don't know the name on it now but your dealer will have one that he likes. Learn to use the double system for the two sections of the coach, one pump fo the rear bath and one for the kitchen and front bath. Learn to use the interactive controls where you work all of the components and slides. Always make sure slides are clear when moving them. One of ours did drag the floor after a year, I forgot, they shaved a half inch from the bottom molding because we thought the floor might have arched upward just enough to make it tight. Just a thought if you hear a screeching sound when it goes in and out. Have fun. I would buy another. I don't think you could buy better because they all buy the same components to use on the assembly lines like car manufacturers do. So unless you get something over 400 grand, you get mostly the same stuff, just pick a good floor plan....and goo camping..!
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #12

I'll add my voice to those really happy with our G'Towns and welcome to the "club".
Over at MHSRV.com...they have 3 of your model with various ameneties ALL priced at $115k which means that at 99k you had a very good price. You might want to take a look for comparisons sake: https://www.mhsrv.com/forest-river-rv/georgetown/

We've been all over the Rockies on some interesting grades and always were able to stay over 50. The newer 6 speed tranny on the V10 should make it less noisy when doing so.

Our FG roof has never been a problem and is the MAIN reason I chose G'Town over a lot of other brands since at the time only FR/Winne and Tiffin had FG. I'm glad I've never had a tear or bubble or black streaks or the regular maintenence required for other roof materials.

We're short and carry scooters instead of a car...but average around 7.5 on long trips.

I couldn't justify to myself the cost of paint since the front and rear are paint...but after 5 years there is certainly a notable difference between my side and the painted ones of similar age...BUT due to the newer side panel materials... I think the difference is reduced from the older models. It's a personal and budget choice.

One thing I'd suggest since you're moving to a class A...take a movie camera or phone movies of your walk through so that you have that to go back to after taking your PDI and delivery. There's a lot to remember and the excitment often affects how much we remember.

Good luck with it all...the folks here will really help your out as questions arise!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #13

36 b5

as a side note and probably important. We had to replace all 3 of our rooftop vent covers over the past year and just a couple months after the warranty ran out, I have never had an RV where those things rotted away so quickly. All of my other RV's had them and they never had an issue until well after 5 or more years and that is without being under shelter. They actually dry rotted and crumbled up. Maybe you can add a paragraph on your purchase order that if these go bad before at least 3 years, that they will replace them. Just a thought. I bought my own as they went bad, about a month or 2 apart, one flew apart while going down the road last summer and it just crumbled all up and was gone when I stopped and checked it. All that was there was the outer inch or so of the square frame of the plastic with the metal around it. It wasn't hard to change them, the campground where we were had them in their store. One of them I waited until I got home and bought one here. They are usually less than 20 bucks apiece. Have a great time camping and good luck, hopefully the problem I had with those things has been addressed.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
as a side note and probably important. We had to replace all 3 of our rooftop vent covers over the past year and just a couple months after the warranty ran out, I have never had an RV where those things rotted away so quickly. All of my other RV's had them and they never had an issue until well after 5 or more years and that is without being under shelter. They actually dry rotted and crumbled up. Maybe you can add a paragraph on your purchase order that if these go bad before at least 3 years, that they will replace them. Just a thought. I bought my own as they went bad, about a month or 2 apart, one flew apart while going down the road last summer and it just crumbled all up and was gone when I stopped and checked it. All that was there was the outer inch or so of the square frame of the plastic with the metal around it. It wasn't hard to change them, the campground where we were had them in their store. One of them I waited until I got home and bought one here. They are usually less than 20 bucks apiece. Have a great time camping and good luck, hopefully the problem I had with those things has been addressed.
What you are talking about are the vent lids. If you would install vent covers over the vents you will not have that issue again. The lids are very thin plastic and the weather/ozone will eat them alive. Basic Maxair covers are not expensive and will not interfere with the lid opening/closing. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #15

We have a 2019 36b5 on order. It hits the production line Feb 6th or so. We have coordinated a factory tour with the rep to see our coach on the production line. We were able to get ours for 108k with the options we wanted (MSRP 167,500) such as the power over cab bunk, dual pane windows and the theater seating. Also excited with the upgrades FR has done on the GT5 line. 10 inch screen (instead of that tiny screen for cams etc) , night stands by the bed, wrap around ends for the seating in the dinette and best of all they have upgraded the master control system on the coach. 99k is a good price for one on the lot, if it's been there awhile, I would try to go lower..
2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
Getting close now huh? Exciting times.. Of course it's going to be -15 here this week LOL!! The fun seems far away
2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
We have a 2019 36b5 on order. It hits the production line Feb 6th or so. We have coordinated a factory tour with the rep to see our coach on the production line. We were able to get ours for 108k with the options we wanted (MSRP 167,500) such as the power over cab bunk, dual pane windows and the theater seating. Also excited with the upgrades FR has done on the GT5 line. 10 inch screen (instead of that tiny screen for cams etc) , night stands by the bed, wrap around ends for the seating in the dinette and best of all they have upgraded the master control system on the coach. 99k is a good price for one on the lot, if it's been there awhile, I would try to go lower..
Do you custom order your RV from the dealer themselves or FR? Unfortunately the deal didn't go through. The dealer apparently denied giving me the price of 99k for a 2019 and stated it was for a 2018. The best price they could do on the 2019 was 109k. It wasn't true of course since I emailed them the stock number and told them exactly what I wanted to pay. They referred to their email which has a disclaimer stating errors their emails does not bind them to anything.

So I'm in search of another dealer that can take my trade in and finance me for the new coach that I want. Thanks for the tips and feedback everyone!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #18
Senior Member - Retired

Quote:
Do you custom order your RV from the dealer themselves or FR? Unfortunately the deal didn't go through. The dealer apparently denied giving me the price of 99k for a 2019 and stated it was for a 2018. The best price they could do on the 2019 was 109k. It wasn't true of course since I emailed them the stock number and told them exactly what I wanted to pay. They referred to their email which has a disclaimer stating errors their emails does not bind them to anything.

So I'm in search of another dealer that can take my trade in and finance me for the new coach that I want. Thanks for the tips and feedback everyone!
I may be wrong but what the dealer has put you through makes me think of Mike Thompson RV. They pretty much make Camping World look like a great place to buy a motorhome!
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
I may be wrong but what the dealer has put you through makes me think of Mike Thompson RV. They pretty much make Camping World look like a great place to buy a motorhome!
Yup, Mike Thompson in Colton. That’s funny, by me just describing my experience you were able to tell what dealer I went to. They also wanted money down when they told me I had been approved for a loan with no money down.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Yup, Mike Thompson in Colton. That’s funny, by me just describing my experience you were able to tell what dealer I went to. They also wanted money down when they told me I had been approved for a loan with no money down.
Just wait. My local dealer wouldn't come down. They said it was a "no haggle price" I purchased somewhere else and got a great deal. 2 weeks later they called. When I told the same sales person I bought somewhere else, his comment was "how come you didn't make me an offer" I did several times but he keep saying, "the price is firm".