Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Smile Considering Purchasing a 2021 Georgetown 5 Series

We are considering purchasing a 2021 Georgetown 5 Series (34H5) soon but would love to hear any feedback from current/previous owners. Good, bad and ugly . We will be towing a 2017 Jeep Safari Wrangler behind it and advice on that would be helpful as well. We are new to the RV world (at least as owners) have rented several before but only now considering owning one. It's a big expense so we want to make sure we do our due diligence. It appears that this particular make is the biggest bang for your buck, would you agree? We will be empty nesters soon and my husband has the ability to work from the road so we will be traveling quite a bit and want a reliable MH. I've stalked many forums and have found lots of pros and cons but my guess is that would be the same for all makes/models, just want to make sure we aren't considering the worst of the worst since we are newbies. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!!
tpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbay View Post
We are considering purchasing a 2021 Georgetown 5 Series (34H5) soon but would love to hear any feedback from current/previous owners. Good, bad and ugly . We will be towing a 2017 Jeep Safari Wrangler behind it and advice on that would be helpful as well. We are new to the RV world (at least as owners) have rented several before but only now considering owning one. It's a big expense so we want to make sure we do our due diligence. It appears that this particular make is the biggest bang for your buck, would you agree? We will be empty nesters soon and my husband has the ability to work from the road so we will be traveling quite a bit and want a reliable MH. I've stalked many forums and have found lots of pros and cons but my guess is that would be the same for all makes/models, just want to make sure we aren't considering the worst of the worst since we are newbies. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!!
Sounds like you've done your homework. Like any forum, we'll be a bit biased of course. While I don't have that particular model, (we have the XL 378) the one we have has been pretty much trouble free. We bought used (3 years old) with 7500 showing. It now has 24,000. For the most part our experience was not knowing what we didn't know. What works with what, where breakers are, that sort of thing.
Sure things have broken, or come loose, but by and large, nothing more than a trip to a hardware store or NAPA couldn't fix. To date I don't think we have spent over $100 on any one item. Now accessories on the other hand....
I am not part of any other forum, but I can say the folks on this particular forum are eager to help, and very knowledgeable. Forest River monitors the forum and are also quick to get involved. They want happy customers.
EVERY coach will have it's warts, expect it.
Take your time on the delivery, learn everything you can. Because you WILL forget things. There are plenty of videos on You Tube on how to take ownership of a new coach. Watch a few and pick up on some of the tips.

Someone said that driving a motorhome is like driving your house in a hurricane during an earthquake. Pretty much sums it up. Stuff WILL happen.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:47 AM   #3
NXR

Quote:

We have a 2020 GT5 34H5 and love it. We're currently in our fourth month of getting out of Ohio for the winter with zero problems. I think the 2021.5 version with the new V8 is a great improvement over even what we have.

One concern could be the weight of that Jeep. Is it a two door or a four door? If a four door, I'd suggest taking it to a CAT Scale and paying the $12 to learn its as-towed weight (no people).

The 22,000 GVWR chassis of the GT5 only has 4,000 pounds of unrestricted towing capacity.

Ray
Old 03-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

tpbay I just sent you a Private message here.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

2017 Georgetown 354TS 50 Amp Plug Coming Apart

I have a 2017 Georgetown 364ts and the 50 amp plug is coming apart. I believe it is from plugging into the portable Progressive Electrical management system. ((Well I REALLY believe it is from trying to unplug)) Any recommendations on where to go to get this fixed? Also how to prevent it from happening again? I know I can go to the hardwired installed Progressive Electrical Management Type. But just hate to waste a great Progressive system. Thanks for any tips. 3 photos attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Amp Plug Pic 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	249686   Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Amp Plug Pic 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	249687   Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Amp Plug Pic 3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	249688  
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
I have the 2017 Georgetown 364ts model and absolutely love everything about it. The one thing you might consider is the the GT 7 models on the 24,000 pound Chasis instead of the 22,000. I just towed a 2 door Jeep Wrangler 4,000 plus miles from Cincinnati to Mt Rushmore Yellowstone and Glacier National Park and Fargo ND. It was not a problem at all. I used the RV Life App and it gave me RV friendly directions to avoid some steep hills and a lot of engine revving. I have 30,000 miles and it has so much more than other brands at similar prices. Also we love the oven feature many are doing away with that. But we will always want it. Plus Gas coaches are much less maintenance than the diesels. First tune up is 99,000 miles I love the V10 as it has been tested over time. Starting in 2016 they used a 6 speed transmission and helps a lot with engine noise from everyone I talk to.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #7

Buy Used!

My best advice is to purchase a used RV! I think the Georgetown is a quality unit compaired to the rest of the industry, however that said the difference in quality of the Auto industry and that of the RV industry is decades apart. Let someone else deal with the sometimes months of delays to have common construction errors repaired under warrenty. Then the resulting items you find will not be as numerious and at your expense or under a insurance/warrenty program a direct expense that you have more control over...And you dont take the depreciation hit. I consider the Georgerown the upgrade Forest River line from my purchase a coachman miranda. Differences, fine but important accessories. Same sealed undercarriage, however Gorgetown has heated tanks called artic package, has generator vs plugin autochange over, where the Coachman does not and many other similar, like pullout work station for navigator, so enjoy the unit but remember it may have particle board for cabinet fronts, problem water on to carpet stops there, on vinyl rolls to cabinet and maybe sucked in to the particle board and release the plastic covering, Unless one cauks the contact of the facia and the floor. But that is not a warrenty issue. So that is a repair after purchase... And yes purchase a pull vehicle that is 4000# so that does not reduce your total weight capabilty of your rig by 1000#s. Yes the hitch is 5000# but that is its limit not the total of your rig. I could be wrong of your total weight limit GVWL but am probably right. We purchased a 2013 Ford edge, for around $15K and 17K miles around 2017, the best car I ever bought. I would put a newer Ford Edge with a back up camera and side alerts on your look at list. Then you MUST look at the owners manual to be sure it can be towed, it will say. You will n eed a brake system for it as required by good sense and law and tow bar another $2500. If you buy from etrailer.com and bring thier unit to them they will install. I would absolutely have them add front and rear towbars and steering shock, IF you werent lucky and already added. You can read all about these important improvements for any gas on youtube. Good luck from someone experienced. RRD.
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #8

Just cut the old plug off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
I have a 2017 Georgetown 364ts and the 50 amp plug is coming apart. I believe it is from plugging into the portable Progressive Electrical management system. ((Well I REALLY believe it is from trying to unplug)) Any recommendations on where to go to get this fixed? Also how to prevent it from happening again? I know I can go to the hardwired installed Progressive Electrical Management Type. But just hate to waste a great Progressive system. Thanks for any tips. 3 photos attached
Dennis, that looks like a molded plug. If it is, just cut it from the cord. (If it's a screw-together plug, disassemble it and disconnect the wires.
Here are three different new right-angle plugs; pick the one that appeals to you. Or maybe you would prefer a straight-on plug like this one.

If you've dealt with electricity before, you won't have any trouble with this. Just connect the green wire to the green terminal (the round pin). The white wire goes to the silver terminal directly opposite the green one. The other two wires (usually red and black) go to the two brass terminals. It does not matter which is which. Be sure to get all the braided wire into the terminal and get the terminals as tight as possibly can. (The case doesn't have to be that tight--don't strip the screws.

If you are not comfortable with electricity, any tradesperson can do this job for you.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #9

50 Amp Plug Issue

Thanks I will have an electrician check it out.
I just wasn't sure.
I don't mind trying a lot of things but worry about the 50 amp electric.
Thanks Again
Old 03-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #10

Get the plug in advance

Quote:
I just wasn't sure.
Thanks Again
It wouldn't hurt to get the plug in advance. An electrician who's not familiar with RVs might have to spend time hunting for one.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #11
CA Happy Camper

My experience with the Georgetown Brand

Here's a link about great service we received during our cross country trip 2018.

The GT series 3,5,7 replaced the "Georgetown" in 2017.
My unit as with the GT series uses bus style slam latches on the compartment doors. Many other manufacturers in this price point use the twist and key lock cheapies.

When we shopped in 2017, we came to this model and a Newar Bay Star Sport 29' model. The Newar is a very good quality product (we toured the factory on our trip). However the price point and a few floor plan issues we didn't like, lead us to the Georgetown 270S

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-206818.html

Good luck!
2017 Georgetown 270S
Toad: 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
scottrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #12

To the OP...FWIW...We have a 2015 with 52k miles on it that has visited all the lower 48 and both eastern and western Canada. As you've discovered...all the gassers have the same engine/chassis so it comes down to the company building the "house", the floor plans, and the quality of materials and workmanship.
For us...the fiberglass roof was a MAJOR must have and I'm happy it was. Very few others have this and in the end we were looking at FR, Tiffin and Winnebago. I would rank Tiffin above Gtown by a little but costs a fair amount more for comparable products...Winnebago is a better organized outfit but I don't think they give you as much inside the coach in decor or features. In the end...we would by another Gtown if they ever make another like this one!
We've only had two failures underway in 52k miles...one a tire due to a valve failure...and a failed/shorted wiring harness on the levelers which left us in the air and unable to move (Lippert not FR problem). We also replaced all our upholstery after an industry wide failure after 3-4 years of some cheap Chinese faux leather. That has now been fixed.

Good luck with your decision making!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:46 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:

Since the molded plug just pulled apart, it could be more that the weight of the cord just pulled it out. That could happen even without a portable EMS. Unless you were yanking on the cord, of course.

Ray
Old 03-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Since the molded plug just pulled apart, it could be more that the weight of the cord just pulled it out. That could happen even without a portable EMS. Unless you were yanking on the cord, of course.

Ray

Ray...agree. I have the same plug and have used a portable Progressive from day 1 with no issue. I think the key is that you unplug the Progressive from the Park receptacle first...then while firmly holding the Progressive in one arm...you grab the plug handle and pull with the other.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
I just wasn't sure.
Thanks Again
I just had my RV Tech replace mine. Easy replacement but I felt better having him do it.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #16

2021 GT7 36K7 owner here and I love the coach.... While I dream of a Newell one day (once I sell my company) I am enjoying every moment thus far in the Georgetown

I personally got the extended warranty, tire hazard protection

Have fun, pull the trigger and get on the road
thebigkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #17

Well, did you?

Quote:
Wondering if you went with the new 34H5. If so, have you received it yet & are you happy with it? I'm waiting for one ordered in February.
ECRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Just a word of caution regarding buying a 2020 or 2021 model RV: while I am a 2007 Georgetown XL owner and over-all have been happy we are looking ar buying a newer model RV. What we are hearing a lot on general RV boards so I can't say for sure about Forest River or specifically Georgetowns is that due to the surge in RV buying during COVID RV manufacturers have rushed production in many cases at the expense of quality control and shoddy workmanship has resulted. Lots of folks have had more than average issues out-of-the-box and due to how busy RV repair places are plus the quantity of requests to manufacturers for approval for warranty work and replacement parts, folks have been sitting around waiting to be able to use their RVs. Our bias is always to buy relatively newer used models (same off-the-lot depreciation as with a car plus someone else has dealt with any "bugs" that often come with new), the problems we are hearing about with 2020 and 2021 models has reinforced that decision.
GeorgetownSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #19

Did you?

What did you decide to do? Did you choose the Georgetown? We've had one on order since February and I'm just interested in what your choice turned out to be.
ECRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgetownSal View Post
Just a word of caution regarding buying a 2020 or 2021 model RV: while I am a 2007 Georgetown XL owner and over-all have been happy we are looking ar buying a newer model RV. What we are hearing a lot on general RV boards so I can't say for sure about Forest River or specifically Georgetowns is that due to the surge in RV buying during COVID RV manufacturers have rushed production in many cases at the expense of quality control and shoddy workmanship has resulted. Lots of folks have had more than average issues out-of-the-box and due to how busy RV repair places are plus the quantity of requests to manufacturers for approval for warranty work and replacement parts, folks have been sitting around waiting to be able to use their RVs. Our bias is always to buy relatively newer used models (same off-the-lot depreciation as with a car plus someone else has dealt with any "bugs" that often come with new), the problems we are hearing about with 2020 and 2021 models has reinforced that decision.
GeorgetownSal,

I work for Forest River Georgetown and wanted to share my thoughts on your post.

Yes, COVID has presented A LOT of problems none of us saw coming! We are still experiencing shortages from Ford, Vendors and workers. We are doing the best we can to manage these shortages on a daily basis.

When it comes to "Rushing production" we have not changed ANY production rates to rush product out the door! In fact we have slowed things down to help insure the best quality we can. Are we perfect... no! With that said every unit we produce has the following quality control process even before COVID started. Road test of 20 miles, wheel alignment (yes, you should get a second alignment once you have the coach loaded with your personal belongings) , negative air flow test, rain bay tested and a second quality walk. Also, three random coaches a week visit a third party PDI shop.

"More than average issues out of the box" I feel this is due to a few factors. First, I feel the RV Industry has A LOT of "first time buyers" more than we have ever seen. This is leading to frustration when it comes to quality expectations, user error and length of time for repairs. Secondly, because the supply chain is broken for example.. A/C's, generators and refrigerators can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to receive! This is a major part of delays in warranty work and customers may not understand what's going on. Plus, the dealerships are struggling to find good techs as well. We try our best to get all warranty work closed as fast as possible!

Last thing, it's sad what you are seeing on other "General RV Boards". I'm hopeful what you are seeing is truly not normal for everyone! I've seen a lot of good things here in the Forums. It's amazing the wealth of knowledge owners have and their willingness to help others.

Hope this helps to anyone looking to buy a New Georgetown. Safe travels
Cdefrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown