Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
fdp

Considering upgrading from a FR3 to a Georgetown

Considering upgrading from a FR3 to a Georgetown and would like opinions and experiences. Would you buy a Georgetown again or buy a another manufacture

FDP
fdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #2

I researched for a couple of years and bought a 378TS new. Yes, I have had issues, but still the best buy for the dollar on the market.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdp View Post
Considering upgrading from a FR3 to a Georgetown and would like opinions and experiences. Would you buy a Georgetown again or buy a another manufacture

FDP
Are you sure you are ready to jump into a bigger one?
Is it because you want more space and storage?
Are you planning to use it enough to make it worth while?
Did you win the lottery?
If you did buy a diesel pusher.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

I am on my second Georgetown and love it! I have a 2007 338se which is now for sale and now have a 370. Both are great units!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Love our 350.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Buying our 351DS was the best RV decision we ever made. We've had very few problems with it and would definitely buy another one down the road.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
New:

I agree Cyclone Rich, my 328ts was the best decision I made. I love it.
Have a few issues upfront, but all is good otherwise.
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

Any issues with your FR3 or just time for an upgrade?
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #9

We bought a new 2014 377XL last July and have been full time since September. Went from Indiana to New York, to Maine, to Florida, and back to Maine so far. Just a couple of minor issues (microwave issue, rear furnace not lighting, windshield arm malfunction). Overall, very satisfied.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #10

Should have been "windshield wiper arm" 😉
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

I agree we have an Georgetown 378TS. Have had some minor issues but would do it again.
Wolfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #12

Ditto the others. VERY happy with our G'town...best value on market...we looked carefully at FR3's when we bought and found the Xtra bucks were reasonable for the differences we found between the coaches. Fiberglass Roof was very important to us.
Only Winnie Vista and Tiffin Allegros are offering this in their entry level class A products besides FR.
Winnie's value is in the company,organization and parts/warranty side...the coach itself does not offer as much as the G'town IMO and is a little more $. Tiffin is significantly more expensive and they have a great rep for taking care of customers and the product is very nice. No short ones took them out of the running for us but if you want something over 30', they are worth a look. For us...G'town was the best blend of company, price and a coach with the features and livability we wanted.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #13

We bought the 378XL. Best bang for the buck. Lots of extras. Great floor plan for couples and 2 dogs. Few issues but Forest River has been great on customer service. Of course a great dealer is a must. We didn't buy local but our local dealer treats us like we purchased it from them.
Given the same circumstances (money) we will buy another Georgetown again.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #14

I must be missing something. Bought 2015 GT 364TS in Jan and have put on 6,000 miles. Coach is fantastic! But, the chassis F53 is pitiful. It's worth repeating the big three problems I've addressed before: power, i.e. torque is sad. I spend a lot of time at or near 5,000 rpm just to maintain speed even on the smallest hills. Engine noise is incredible. Can't carry on a conversation without yelling when you're at higher rpm. Worst of all is sway. So far, I've spent $2,600 trying to deal with it...tracbar, steering stabilizer, wheel alignment and rear anti-sway bar. All this netted little improvement. The two most common responses I get are: "Get over it" and "If you wanted power, low noise and a stable vehicle, you should have bought a DP. Like I said, the coach is great, better yet, we're still debt free!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
I must be missing something. Bought 2015 GT 364TS in Jan and have put on 6,000 miles. Coach is fantastic! But, the chassis F53 is pitiful. It's worth repeating the big three problems I've addressed before: power, i.e. torque is sad. I spend a lot of time at or near 5,000 rpm just to maintain speed even on the smallest hills. Engine noise is incredible. Can't carry on a conversation without yelling when you're at higher rpm. Worst of all is sway. So far, I've spent $2,600 trying to deal with it...tracbar, steering stabilizer, wheel alignment and rear anti-sway bar. All this netted little improvement. The two most common responses I get are: "Get over it" and "If you wanted power, low noise and a stable vehicle, you should have bought a DP. Like I said, the coach is great, better yet, we're still debt free!
If you run 5 000 rpms on any little hill something is wrong.
What speed are you running?
Are you in Tow-Haul Mode or regular?
I have only hit 5,000 rpms when I have driven over a pass that was 10% grade which is the most extreme hill in the country.
Have you driven large heavy vehicles like this before?
It is a learning curve here especially when you are climbing.
If you don't have your speed and rpms up at the base of the hill your engine already lost its torque and you will drive slowly up the hill with high rpms.
I hit the bottom of the hill at road speed and drop one gear when I start to climb.

With this information what are you doing?
Have you been to a Ford dealer and have the engine, timing etc checked for loss of torque and power?

Are you towing and toad? What weight is it?

All these relate to what you explained as high rpm and noisy engine at 5,000 rpms.
Please elaborate.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #16

I always try stay at or below 65 or the posted speed limit. Yes, it's pretty fundamental to increase speed and torque before a hill, which is great if it's a short hill. I tow an empty Jeep Liberty with nothing in it but gas. That works out to about 4,300 pounds. When I'm doing hills and valley, or long grades I use tow/haul the majority of the time and judgment the rest of the time. Go to the Ford Forum and you can find some interesting discussion on shifting. When in other than tow/haul the Ford engineers say to let the transmission do what it as designed to do, i.e. decide on the optimum time to shift. Looking at the threads and replies you can tell this is not an uncommon problem. Nope, I haven't gone to a dealer. Since this is my first gasser, and all my prior experience is with diesels, I may be carrying over some wrong techniques.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #17

On a flat road with out a headwind I usually run 2000 to 2200 rpms and that relates to about 65 mph. If you are getting anything different I would think the engine needs to be checked by Ford.
At 60-65 mph my sound level is reasonable.
I did see that the dog house on the 2015 is bare. Mine is covered with carpet and that may be what makes mine a little more reasonable with engine noise.
Now you also know that your car plus fuel and cargo could me maxing your 5,000 lb tow rate. Not to mention your motorhome cargo, fuel, etc.

Just some information to help you.
Good luck
Old 06-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #18
fdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
Any issues with your FR3 or just time for an upgrade?

Just want more room to accommodate 2 adults and 3 teenagers and a nicer interior
Old 06-30-2015, 12:47 AM   #19
fdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Ditto the others. VERY happy with our G'town...best value on market...we looked carefully at FR3's when we bought and found the Xtra bucks were reasonable for the differences we found between the coaches. Fiberglass Roof was very important to us.
Only Winnie Vista and Tiffin Allegros are offering this in their entry level class A products besides FR.
Winnie's value is in the company,organization and parts/warranty side...the coach itself does not offer as much as the G'town IMO and is a little more $. Tiffin is significantly more expensive and they have a great rep for taking care of customers and the product is very nice. No short ones took them out of the running for us but if you want something over 30', they are worth a look. For us...G'town was the best blend of company, price and a coach with the features and livability we wanted.

That was very informative and helpful. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #20
fdp

Thank you for all of the responses. I'm feeling more comfortable in staying with FR rather than changing to a Winn or tiffin

Tags
georgetown