Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #21

I also use cordless, but a Kobalt (Lowe's) 24 volt 1/2" model with torque control. The same batteries also power an inflator and a jigsaw. Wouldn't leave without them.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #22

I am throwing in a vote for the Milwaukee cordless 18v, they offer more options in other tools.
I also own Dewalts and corded up to 3/4" chuck for extra heavy duty needs.
I really like my Milwaukee 18v sprayer, grease gun and impact tools.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #23

I carry a 12 volt cordless always in the trl. I also have a 18 volt and 20 volt that are in my truck and at home. The reason I carry the 12 volt in the trl is if I’m fault finding and need a 12 volt source the battery is easy to carry around and jump! Perfect if you wanted to test the awning switch as an example.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Lithium ion batteries are so good now days it's changed the dynamic here and cordless is the way to go. They hold their charge a long time. A good battery pack can hold most of its charge many months...
I have an older DeWalt 20V 1/2 chuck drill with 2 lithium ion batteries and a charger that has good power. The batteries have held their charges for over six months non-use.

I purchased a Porter Cable 20V lithium battery combo 1/2" chuck drill and 1/4" hammer drill for about the same price as the DeWalt drill alone. They are a bit smaller, but just as powerful. Though I thought the hammer drill would just take up space, I found it very useful. Stubborn to drive/remove screws are a cinch with the hammer drill. I have nearly destroyed the screw head with the regular drill, but the hammer drill saved the day.

I have found that small travel bags work very well to keep the drills, bits and chargers organized. They also collapse well for storage in tight places. Recently found two more like new bags at Goodwill for $2.50 each.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #25

I used to carry both, corded and 18V cordless....now, I leave the cordless at home....reason, I carry a 2KW Yamaha inverter genny.....so I always have the power even if not at c/g. Yes, I have to take it out to plug into, but its not that heavy. I carry the genny for my pancake air compressor....in case I need that.

If we will be going off grid for the weekend, I will substitute my Champion 3.5KW inverter, so that I can run my A/C unit and charge batteries.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #26

Cordless is the way to go! You will find other tools that use the same batteries like a spot light, fan, portable vacumn. It is endless

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #27

Drill

Brushless 18V in any of the main brands w/ lithium batteries. I carry a Milwaukee because that is what I have at home. More power than I need for anything I am doing. The 12 volt would be plenty.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #28

I carry a cordless drill with 2 batteries and a charger, I have a couple different brands. What I saw last year were people using impact drives. I wouldn't use those on stabilizers, tongue jack or slides as they can do damage. Impact would be good for lugnuts.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I carry a cordless drill with 2 batteries and a charger, I have a couple different brands. What I saw last year were people using impact drives. I wouldn't use those on stabilizers, tongue jack or slides as they can do damage. Impact would be good for lugnuts.
The 1/4" drive impact has been my go-to several times. Some fasteners just won't budge with a regular driver.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #30

I agree with you. But I would only use to loosen. I saw several RVers use on stabilizers to lift trailer. As we all know they are stabilizers not levelers.Thanks for the extra thought. I will look to match a impact driver to match my drill.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #31

Cordless, I have a cordless drill and cordless 1/2" drive impact that I take camping and use at home. Both are great........................... haven't used a corded drill in years. I use the cordless weekly if not more often.

Son showed me how great cordless impacts are...... esp. at pick and pay junk yards.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
I would like to ask for what you have in your RV and why? I just can't decide which one to put in the RV.

I have had my RV for 4 years now and I'm finally preparing for the possibility of when the hydraulic jacks or slides stop working and I have to do it manually. I have already watched YouTube videos and reviewed my units document on how to do it. I have the 90 degree attachment and the correct size Allen bits.

I like the idea of a cordless drill but I worry when I need it the batteries will be dead. I could keep the charge in a storage bin that has power and keep them charged. Or, a corded drill that I can store out of the way and plan to never need it. Then, what if I do and where I am at I have no power! Man this killing me. No, I will not take both. Doing so would mean I expect it to happen.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Cordless! If you're concerned about the battery, pack a spare. I use my cordless to drop my stabilizer legs, one battery lasted the whole season. My cordless has enough torque for a repair job, if I need it. Have it packed in a zippered pouch with a set of bits along with a socket set. I found the right socket for the stablilzers, then cut off an extension bar to fit the drill. Voila!
Ivan Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #33

Like onetonford I too have a lot of Ryobi tools so cordless is what I use.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #34
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have many cordless tools in the Dewalt, Milwaukee and the newer Harbor Freight Hercules brand.

All have performed flawlessly for the years I've had them. Having a spare battery or two is a must though.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #35

I have a De Walt 20v lithium battery drill/driver. The batteries hold a charge and a recharge is usually less than 30 minutes. They work great since I'm a mechanic and use them frequently. Suggest you have 2 batteries and you won't be let down when 1 runs down.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I use a Ryobi Drill because I have alot of Ryobi tools at home with the same battery. I have found that if you don't use them regularly the batteries tend to go bad even when left on my high tech battery charger that I bought to keep them charged up (it holds six) but even then they go bad. So I usually rotate them with my home batteries also I carry a 12 volt charger that works off my truck and that is good for when I use the drill for my stabs to keep them charged when camping.

X2 my drill, impact, latern, flashlight, and air pump , all run off same battery just naming the ones that make most trips, if a long trip I take the saws all for firewood.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #37

Cordless gets my vote. I have an old Craftsman 19.2 that is clunky looking, but works great for raising and lowering the jacks. I carry a more refined 12 volt for repairs. The old one is so clunky looking that when a thief hit our trailer it was the only thing he didn't pack up to take off with. We charge the batteries before we leave and take a charger with us should we need to recharge at some point.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
I would like to ask for what you have in your RV and why? I just can't decide which one to put in the RV.

I have had my RV for 4 years now and I'm finally preparing for the possibility of when the hydraulic jacks or slides stop working and I have to do it manually. I have already watched YouTube videos and reviewed my units document on how to do it. I have the 90 degree attachment and the correct size Allen bits.

I like the idea of a cordless drill but I worry when I need it the batteries will be dead. I could keep the charge in a storage bin that has power and keep them charged. Or, a corded drill that I can store out of the way and plan to never need it. Then, what if I do and where I am at I have no power! Man this killing me. No, I will not take both. Doing so would mean I expect it to happen.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Cordless for sure. Just make sure it’s lithium batteries. Keep them at full charge when not using and they’ll last 4 or 5 years. Don’t leave them on a charger because they are a fire hazard. Always unplug the chargers when done.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #39

I was a contractor for years and have lots of quality cordless tools but for my fifth wheel I bought the least expensive lithium drill that walmart had. It was about $25 and it is didicated to the stabilizers. I have had it two years and it runs the stabilizers up and down in less than a minute and I don't think I have charged it more than once or twice. If I had to I could use it to drill a hole or insert or remove screws. I find it perfect for stabilizers.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #40

Cordless. Charge the battery before you go.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote