Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #61

I fully understand using a cordless, I have two of them. (Dewalt) But, I have a generator and have never in twelve years been without power. So, I use a cord drill as it is more powerful, never needs charging and is lighter. I do not think you could go wrong with either depending on your circumstance.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #62
Yukon_Bill

Smile Drill for RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
I would like to ask for what you have in your RV and why? I just can't decide which one to put in the RV.

I have had my RV for 4 years now and I'm finally preparing for the possibility of when the hydraulic jacks or slides stop working and I have to do it manually. I have already watched YouTube videos and reviewed my units document on how to do it. I have the 90 degree attachment and the correct size Allen bits.

I like the idea of a cordless drill but I worry when I need it the batteries will be dead. I could keep the charge in a storage bin that has power and keep them charged. Or, a corded drill that I can store out of the way and plan to never need it. Then, what if I do and where I am at I have no power! Man this killing me. No, I will not take both. Doing so would mean I expect it to happen.

Thanks for your thoughts.
We bought a 24v Dewalt drill to keep in camper, with the socket that is
Used to put legs down. It only takes a few seconds and legs are in place. Plus we bought a drill set with 1/4” drive adapter—works great with my 1/4” standard/metric socket set. Comes in handy all the time.
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #63

Use genny

You have a MH with a generator. Why are you stressing? If you have a corded drill, plug it in, fire up the genny, and get to work. If you have a cordless and the battery is dead, charge the battery with your genny and get to work. Personally, I'd go cordless. Much more convenient not to gave cords to deal with.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:25 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

You should bring a hammer drill . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #65

Cordless or Corded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Cordless for sure and ditto on the dewalt.
Cordless for sure. I have 20V Dewalt and it is fantastic !!! No need to bother with a cord.
dmerrill48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #66
KnP

Both, a corded one is cheaper more torque. Cordless are versitile but lower torque. Both have pros and cons and having both will create a redundancy. Now, if you have to have 1 and only one, Cordless is the most versitile.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #67
Yukon_Bill

Smile More on drills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
I fully understand using a cordless, I have two of them. (Dewalt) But, I have a generator and have never in twelve years been without power. So, I use a cord drill as it is more powerful, never needs charging and is lighter. I do not think you could go wrong with either depending on your circumstance.
My new 2021 Ram 3500 has a 110 outlet in the bed, next to the trailer connector, how sweet is that. Can carry 50’ extension cord and electric impact—no job too big. Change wheels, use electric jack and raise and lower my leveling jacks—all those comforts and old man needs, lol
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #68

Milwaukee M18 Fuel hands down. They are the top of the line construction choice with a 5 year no questions asked warranty. I keep 4 Battery's handy so I will always have a charged unit ready to go. I use my 1/2" impact to raise and lower my stabilizer jacks and would not even consider manually doing them.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #69

Quote:
I would like to ask for what you have in your RV and why? I just can't decide which one to put in the RV.

I have had my RV for 4 years now and I'm finally preparing for the possibility of when the hydraulic jacks or slides stop working and I have to do it manually. I have already watched YouTube videos and reviewed my units document on how to do it. I have the 90 degree attachment and the correct size Allen bits.

I like the idea of a cordless drill but I worry when I need it the batteries will be dead. I could keep the charge in a storage bin that has power and keep them charged. Or, a corded drill that I can store out of the way and plan to never need it. Then, what if I do and where I am at I have no power! Man this killing me. No, I will not take both. Doing so would mean I expect it to happen.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I have always used cordless. As little as you will use it the charges should last an entire camping season
arrow442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #70

Cordless or Corded Drill

I learned the hard way. I always carried a 12V cordless drill. On my last major trip from Oregon to Nashville and East, the circuit relay on my 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway CK36 for the jacks and slides failed. I followed the book on how to use the drill with a 1/4" hex in the end of the motor to do it manually. After being unable to fix the problem, I called the techs. First thing he said was "are you using a cordless or corded drill?" The cordless drills do not have the staying power nor the higher rpm's to operate the motor for the jacks and slides. Went to ACE in Ashville, NC, got a corded drill and used it daily for the front jacks and slides for the rest of the trip home. Now I will always carry both. And for those of you with this set up, cut the end off a 1/4" allen wrench so you have a straight piece for the drill to insert into the motor. Two other Hathaway owners who watched me were very grateful to know how to operate manually. You might try it at home just so you know how to do it. The three valves in the picture on the lower left control the slides and rear jacks. The left most one is the slides. The other two are left and right rear jacks. A fourth one for the front jacks is hidden on one of the front jacks, which has two wires going to it. On mine, it was on the left front. You have to open the valves before using the electric drill. You need a small allen wrench (sorry, forgot the size) on the bottom of each valve. For the front jacks valve, you almost have to be a contortionist with a very long arm to get to it. Hope this helps at least one RV'er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_085926.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	246879  
RVSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #71

B&D Matrix

I highly recommend the Black and Decker Matrix drill. It has a set of attachments so that I can carry a 20v drill, two batteries, and attachments for an air pump, saws-all, and impact drill in a compact tool bag.
MI_Skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:41 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
Milwaukee M18 Fuel hands down. They are the top of the line construction choice with a 5 year no questions asked warranty. I keep 4 Battery's handy so I will always have a charged unit ready to go. I use my 1/2" impact to raise and lower my stabilizer jacks and would not even consider manually doing them.
X2
I only carry two batteries. Didn’t carry an impact till I had a tire issue on the TV, but carry a HD Milwaukee impact now (not the 1/4” hex drive style). During hot summer months carry a cordless fan. Great when having a camp “fire” at the neighbors.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #73

Cordless, with two batteries, one in the drill and one in a charger. Weighs less and you don't have to worry about a very long extension cord.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
FROG #TX-0132-336
--
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #74

Dear Dolphan 1981,
I have several cordless tools by Bosch in 10.8-12 v and 18v levels. I keep a Bosch 10.8-12v drill/driver (with two batteries and charger) in the MH while we are on the road. If I had levelers on our MH, I would keep one of my Bosch 18v tools, either the drill or the impact driver from that set. They are really good on battery life, with charge status indicators on the batteries themselves. I like the tools enough to have two sets of the 18v tools, and gave away my extra 10.8-12v set to my neighbor, who is adjusting to retired life on land after a merchant marine career,

The 10.8-12v units are light enough for anyone to use, with generally enough power. The impact driver might even have enough power to use for the levelers. The 18v units are a bit heavier, with a bump on the power output level, but they are well balanced and also easy enough to use. I have even driven 4”x 3/8” lag screws with the impact driver without bogging down. (I can use these tools for 3-4 hours of solid work before I need to recharge them.) The biggest thing to learn is how to not over rev the impact driver, which can strip a screw right now!
On top of it all, usually these tools can be purchased in a kit, with a bag or case, and charger, and sometimes an extra battery, for around $100. A good investment. Nearly all of my cordless tools are in Bosch blue.
AlaskaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #75

cordless with 2 batteries!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:50 PM   #76

cordless vs corded

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. So cordless with lithium batteries it is.

Once I get the drill I'm going to extend the main slide and do a test of manual operation. Most likely in spring since I
live here in Ohio and winter isn't really a good time to pull out the motorhome and try stuff out.
I too have both corded and cordless drills and have mostly DeWalt stuff now. And like a few others on here, the higher amp hour batteries will definitely last a longer time. 2 ah 2 hours or medium use. 5 ah 5 hours of medium use. There certainly is a significant difference in the amount of time they last. But you also pay the difference in price too. I have 2 3/8's corded and one 1/2" corded drill too and for projects which take a lot of power, the corded drills are a far better choice. Our new camper has the auto leveling system so there wouldn't be a need for using a drill for the stabilizers but definitely the slides which I hadn't thought of needing a drill for in case the motor should malfunction. So from now on I will be taking one of my cordless drills and an extra battery with me, just in case. We're weekend campers so I would need to remember to put drills on my list of things to load. This is why I am glad I joined this forum. Even though I have been rv camping since I was 10 years old, I'm 70 this year, and even though we (my wife of 46 years this year) have owned 9 different rv's, I am still learning things from people on this forum. Some are reminders of things I have forgotten but it's interesting to read the comments and posts of other rvers.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #77

To Cord or Not to Cord

I have not had to do anything in my RV that could not be done with my Ryobi 18v drill. The Ryobi was my choice because batteries are affordable and because I have many other Ryobi tools at home. I am somewhat stuck but that is okay. You may be free to go brushless with some other great brand. I see no problems with speed or power. I use mine for my stabilizers and my x-chocks. You do have to manage your batteries though. You cannot forget to charge them once in a while!
PolaroidPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #78
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

I keep one of the chargers on the inverter in the back of my Taco, can always keep one fully charged

Christopher J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #79

I prefer "old school" manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manual drill.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	248382  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #80

Quote: